Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

Finally managed to get hold of a RTX 30 series card.  I ordered the 3080 on launch day and as of last week I was 173 in the queue to get one, with a eta of late Jan early Feb.

But managed to snap a 3060ti on overclockers by being pure jammy.  They said they would release them later on the next day and I was keeping an eye on the forums and managed to snag one when they went live.  Only played a little but of warzone but my fps has went from 60-75 fps to never dropping below 120.  Thats at 1440p.

I will try Cyberpunk later.

Looking to upgrade in the NY I think. 

Decided to f**k the ps5 and have some savings so was going to just get the 3080 to replace the 1080 I have, but from a bit of reading seems pretty pointless given my i6700k will cause a fair bottleneck in the system. 

So considered a cpu and gpu double upgrade, but of course my current mobo isn't going to handle the upgraded cpu. So here I am, from thinking I had a few bucks to spare to basically trying to scrape together enough to more or less get a new system. Not sure I can be arsed building my own again, but getting some company to do it adds fucking ££££££ on to the cost. Decisions. 

These ryzen cpus, are they compatible with nvidia cards? 

I suppose I'll end up desperate trying to punt my current rig on gumtree and chuck the rest into a new system. If I manage to sell it I'll probably get a company to build it for me, otherwise I'll probably be feeling tight at the time, which is likely, and I'll end up building it myself. 

A long way from my envisioned 'buy a ps5, get fifa and try to get my twitch channel up and running,' but that's entirely EA's fault, the lazy, money grabbing c***s. 

Decided to f**k the ps5 and have some savings so was going to just get the 3080 to replace the 1080 I have, but from a bit of reading seems pretty pointless given my i6700k will cause a fair bottleneck in the system. 
So considered a cpu and gpu double upgrade, but of course my current mobo isn't going to handle the upgraded cpu. So here I am, from thinking I had a few bucks to spare to basically trying to scrape together enough to more or less get a new system. Not sure I can be arsed building my own again, but getting some company to do it adds fucking ££££££ on to the cost. Decisions. 
I suppose I'll end up desperate trying to punt my current rig on gumtree and chuck the rest into a new system. If I manage to sell it I'll probably get a company to build it for me, otherwise I'll probably be feeling tight at the time, which is likely, and I'll end up building it myself. 
A long way from my envisioned 'buy a ps5, get fifa and try to get my twitch channel up and running,' but that's entirely EA's fault, the lazy, money grabbing c***s. 

You've justice described every pc owners upgrade lol I'm in exactly the same position

I'm pretty sure I'll go for a ryzen cpu next time I upgrade. They're perfectly compatible with nvidia gfx cards.

The new 5000s are supposed to be amazing

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You've justice described every pc owners upgrade lol I'm in exactly the same position

I'm pretty sure I'll go for a ryzen cpu next time I upgrade. They're perfectly compatible with nvidia gfx cards.

The new 5000s are supposed to be amazing

Cheers man, will be checking the ryzens out. Only recently dipped my toes into overclocking and had been reading the i5-10600ks are really beefy once OCd so was considering that, but always nice to have some other options. 👍 

Buckled and ordered a new PC. 
Stuck my old rig on gumtree but if anyone here is interested would be more than happy to sell to a denizen of this fine website. 
This is the one I'm punting here
https://www.ebuyer.com/749686-stormforce-inferno-vr-gaming-pc-7260-5268
More interested in seeing what you ordered :)

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

More interested in seeing what you ordered :)

This fucker 

https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/71962

I looked into building it myself and it was coming out about 1400 depending on how much the 3070 was when it came into stock. 

Made no sense to put myself  through that when someone else would do it for a couple of hundred sheets. 

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

This fucker 

I looked into building it myself and it was coming out about 1400 depending on how much the 3070 was when it came into stock. 

Made no sense to put myself  through that when someone else would do it for a couple of hundred sheets. 

I ordered my original pc through Gladiator and they did a very good job of it indeed. Over the span of about five years, I’ve upgraded quite literally every component bar the case and a hard drive but, as a novice in PC gaming at the time, I was very satisfied with the price and build quality.

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I ordered my original pc through Gladiator and they did a very good job of it indeed. Over the span of about five years, I’ve upgraded quite literally every component bar the case and a hard drive but, as a novice in PC gaming at the time, I was very satisfied with the price and build quality.

Really good to hear mate. When I go pre-built, its usually been ebuyer but this looked a pretty decent deal, and their reviews on various sites are really good - I'm  always a bit of a shite bag buying such expensive stuff online tho, so that's really good to hear 👍 

On 10/12/2020 at 20:00, Lofarl said:

Finally managed to get hold of a RTX 30 series card.  I ordered the 3080 on launch day and as of last week I was 173 in the queue to get one, with a eta of late Jan early Feb.

But managed to snap a 3060ti on overclockers by being pure jammy.  They said they would release them later on the next day and I was keeping an eye on the forums and managed to snag one when they went live.  Only played a little but of warzone but my fps has went from 60-75 fps to never dropping below 120.  Thats at 1440p.

I will try Cyberpunk later.

Three questions

- what did you have before?

- do you still have it?

- will you sell it to me?

;) 

36 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Three questions

- what did you have before?

- do you still have it?

- will you sell it to me?

;) 

Since the pandemic began I realised that any hope for my big holiday that year was gone.  I always factor about £1500 for a holiday.  I game on PC.  Games a strong word, I sit on discord most nights with people I've known for about 15 years now.  But theres usually about 2hrs of warzone a night about now.  But we are defo more the casual vibe than the bf2 clan war, warcraft elite guild types we were years ago.

Anyway my last pc that now belongs to my auld da had a 4770k cpu and a 1080 gfx card.  The last time he played a fps game, it looked like old doom.  I've gifted him new doom and red dead redemption 2.

My new build has a Ryzen 3700x, 32 gig ram, a gen 4 ssd and the new gfx card.  First computer I have ever built from scratch and I am pretty proud of it.  I actually quite enjoyed doing it.  I'm actually tempted to upgrade my cpu to the new ryzen 5900 series and build a mini itx pc for my nephew with some spare bits from this current build.

So if you want a shot of that you best get smoochy with my nephew.

He's 22 btw, so its ok.

Edited by Lofarl

13 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Since the pandemic began I realised that any hope for my big holiday that year was gone.  I always factor about £1500 for a holiday.  I game on PC.  Games a strong word, I sit on discord most nights with people I've known for about 15 years now.  But theres usually about 2hrs of warzone a night about now.  But we are defo more the casual vibe than the bf2 clan war, warcraft elite guild types we were years ago.

Anyway my last pc that now belongs to my auld da had a 4770k cpu and a 1080 gfx card.  The last time he played a fps game, it looked like old doom.  I've gifted him new doom and red dead redemption 2.

My new build has a Ryzen 3700x, 32 gig ram, a gen 4 ssd and the new gfx card.  First computer I have ever built from scratch and I am pretty proud of it.  I actually quite enjoyed doing it.  I'm actually tempted to upgrade my cpu to the new ryzen 5900 series and build a mini itx pc for my nephew with some spare bits from this current build.

So if you want a shot of that you best get smoochy with my nephew.

He's 22 btw, so its ok.

If its a 1080Ti or higher, PM me his number :lol:

Someone told me that the Ryzen 5xxxs arent actually as good as first thought, particularly for gaming, so might be worth looking into before you upgrade.

I got some tax back this month from my new job and theres talk of some kind of Christmas bonus too, so Ive been looking at building a new PC (I built my first one from scratch about 20 years ago!). Definitely going to be a Ryzen CPU but seriously struggling with GFX card. I've got a 1060 which is getting on a bit now, but obviously the new 3xxxs are rarer than reindeer poo which has bumped up the prices of anything that would be a decent upgrade, like 1080Ti or 2080Ti. Even a 1660Ti will cost £250+ and it would only be a modest upgrade.

Pretty gutting to be honest

Missed out on two 30xx cards on Facebook by being too slow this week! Both brand new and going for the retail price.

default_sad.png

ETA - except I didnt, as the second guy messaged me back to say no one else had got back to him. Just been to pick up a 3060ti OC for £450 :thumsup2

Edited by Mr X

On 13/12/2020 at 17:53, madwullie said:

This fucker 

Have you received your PC yet?

I'm tempted by that build you bought.  My current rig is getting close to 7 years old now and while I've made some upgrades along the way it feels like any further changes wouldn't be worth it and a new system is needed.

9 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Have you received your PC yet?

I'm tempted by that build you bought.  My current rig is getting close to 7 years old now and while I've made some upgrades along the way it feels like any further changes wouldn't be worth it and a new system is needed.

Aye mate, it came on Christmas eve (10 or so days after ordering, which isn't bad considering it's a 3070). I ended up sticking an extra 16GB into it because I'm greedy. Very small teething issue on boot-up resolved in a 5 minute phone conversation (they hadn't mapped the 😧 (edit ffs D) drive and I've forgotten so much about PCs that it hadn't crossed my mind to check that myself). 

100% recommend this mob, excellent service, excellent build, not too expensive considering the spec, emailed me at various stages of the process to let me know what was happening, really easy to deal with on the phone, although they def had problems with my accent. If I buy pre-built again in the future I'll be looking at their stuff first without a doubt. 

Plus I managed to punt my old one just today on gumtree for 700 notes. Re-sult all round. 

Edited by madwullie

Aye mate, it came on Christmas eve (10 or so days after ordering, which isn't bad considering it's a 3070). I ended up sticking an extra 16GB into it because I'm greedy. Very small teething issue on boot-up resolved in a 5 minute phone conversation (they hadn't mapped the [emoji47] (edit ffs D) drive and I've forgotten so much about PCs that it hadn't crossed my mind to check that myself). 
100% recommend this mob, excellent service, excellent build, not too expensive considering the spec, emailed me at various stages of the process to let me know what was happening, really easy to deal with on the phone, although they def had problems with my accent. If I buy pre-built again in the future I'll be looking at their stuff first without a doubt. 
Plus I managed to punt my old one just today on gumtree for 700 notes. Re-sult all round. 
It's a nice build, especially managing to get a 3070.

Swap the ryzen 7 for a 5 and the 3070 for a 3060ti and that's basically what I've just built.

I've had to order some more case fans, as it shut down twice yesterday :(