Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

12 hours ago, grazza said:

EA seem to be putting a lot of their stuff on Steam now even a pre order for Madden 21. Would love if they could port NHL to pc, crazy there has been no ice hockey game on PC other than management games since 2009.  

The original problem was supposed to be that Valve didn't want developers offering DLC outside of Steam, which came to a head when Dragon Age 2 came out and EA had started their big push to use £50 games as advertising tools for further purchases. Valve wanted their cut, but EA wouldn't back down and remove their in-game store shit, so they pulled the title soon after launch and that was it for new EA releases on Steam.

In truth, it was a good excuse for EA to promote their new Origin store by selling their new games exclusively on it. That doesn't seem to have expanded into what they'd hoped; most people still only use it to buy EA's own games, and only then because they have to. Nobody's buying games on Origin if there's an alternative. Presumably moving back to Steam (and agreeing to sell the DLC on their store) is a tacit admission that Origin hasn't worked out as planned. It would've helped if, after almost ten years, it wasn't still shit. At least Epic are working on making their shitty Games Store better.

The big news is that you can now buy the eight year old Mass Effect 3's DLC as a bundle for £12.49, rather than having to blow about a hundred quid on Bioware Points to get it all! Woohoo! We all pirated it almost a decade ago, but go EA!

On 20/06/2020 at 20:14, Mr X said:

£80 for a video game?

These really are crazy times

It's not even really £80 for a proper game, it's £80 for a patch that updates squads and kits. People who buy these games every year are mugs IMO.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
3 hours ago, Doctor said:
Honestly the people paying £80 for Fifa and playing it every day for a year are way less mugs than people spending £60 on The Last of Us and finishing it this weekend 

That's because paying £60 for a video game is also ridiculous

Compared to what though? I was £50 for a plumber to fix my leak for maybe 45 minutes work. It's £25 to see a scottish football game that's long over after 2 hours. £60 is a lot for a game you aren't going to see all the content in but again it depends. Plenty people will have paid full price for TLoU2 and finished it this weekend aiming to sell it at a minimal loss.

edit: actually thats a dumb point to make, the only places charging £60 for TLoU2 are for digital copies and you can't sell them on!

Edited by Doctor

9 hours ago, Doctor said:

Honestly the people paying £80 for Fifa and playing it every day for a year are way less mugs than people spending £60 on The Last of Us and finishing it this weekend 

That's equally true.

I haven't paid full price for a game for a long time now. Picked up a Borderlands 3 steam key for the deluxe edition with season pass for about £25 a month or two ago, there are so many good games out there at much lower cost there's very little need nowadays to pay full price.

48 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That's equally true.

I haven't paid full price for a game for a long time now. Picked up a Borderlands 3 steam key for the deluxe edition with season pass for about £25 a month or two ago, there are so many good games out there at much lower cost there's very little need nowadays to pay full price.

I had to put a bit of a moratorium on buying new games unless they were getting played immediately. I must be up to about a thousand games on Steam, the vast majority of which were picked up at deep discount. The last game I bought at full price was Bioshock Infinite, and it came with three other good quality games (one being Spec Ops: The Line, as I recall), so I'm not sure that even counts.

I have money waiting for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, however. Maybe even System Shock 3 if it turns out to be good.

Seems like the have turned these games into what sticker albums used to be. To be fair £80 for ultimate plus if that gives someone who needs all the shiny extras then fair enough. The base game should be much lower maybe £30 especially with it being digital version though 40 prob in line with consoles. 

EA access for 20 quid  a year prob makes more sense shame pc one doesn't do NHL. Maybe I'll get another console one day if sky go stops on the ps3. 

20 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The last game I bought at full price was Bioshock Infinite

Damn thats a hell of a streak. Infinite though man, if ever there was a game that I don't want to replay but I want to erase my memory of thats it. 

42 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I had to put a bit of a moratorium on buying new games unless they were getting played immediately. I must be up to about a thousand games on Steam, the vast majority of which were picked up at deep discount. The last game I bought at full price was Bioshock Infinite, and it came with three other good quality games (one being Spec Ops: The Line, as I recall), so I'm not sure that even counts.

I have money waiting for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2, however. Maybe even System Shock 3 if it turns out to be good.

The last game I bought full price was .... .... ..... honestly, dont know. Maybe a £1.99 Codemasters game

ETA - Im trying to think what the most Ive ever paid is, gifts for the kids apart. Probably the limited edition Fallout 4 with the Pip-boy. Which I never even saw :( :lol:

Edited by Mr X

I know this is a PC based thread but there are some great discounts to be had using other countries PSN and Xbox live stores. Can be abit of a faff to set up the first time but well worth it, I picked up the Assassins Creed Odyssey Ultimate Edition on Turkish Psn for about £19 the other month.

16 hours ago, Mr X said:

The last game I bought full price was .... .... ..... honestly, dont know. Maybe a £1.99 Codemasters game

ETA - Im trying to think what the most Ive ever paid is, gifts for the kids apart. Probably the limited edition Fallout 4 with the Pip-boy. Which I never even saw :( :lol:

That was a hint, @BigFatTabbyDave to tell us how much you enjoyed the Fallout 4 special edition ;) 

Since this is general PC gaming chat, there have been some very grave accusations and outings of beasts in gaming community with several Twitch streamers accused of sexual assault, harassment and general abuse of their positions. In the last couple of days one prominent Dota 2 personality has been outed as a rapist and sacked by his organisation with the implication that other well known people have known and covered up some shady shit.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/twitch-receives-backlash-following-statement-on-abuse-allegations-esports-news/

https://dotesports.com/dota-2/news/evil-geniuses-cuts-ties-with-dota-2-caster-grandgrant-amid-sexual-harassment-allegations

There's also a story from a victim of the Dota guy on tweetlonger but I'm not going to post that here, pretty harrowing.

On 23/06/2020 at 11:19, Mr X said:

That was a hint, @BigFatTabbyDave to tell us how much you enjoyed the Fallout 4 special edition ;) 

It's still in the box, waiting for the day when I've got a space to display it alongside the disturbing array of other Fallout 4 merch that I somehow ended up owning. Looks nice, though. I liked the game, but never finished it. I eventually got pissed off with the constant raids on settlements, which would break the stuff you'd built if you ignored them. Only way I'd go back to it would be with a mod to do away with that altogether.

Wonder if it's worth having a thread for people to display their horrifically-overpriced special editions. The wean's still pissed that we've never played with the Mass Effect Andromeda radio controlled car that I picked up on the cheap after everyone realised the game was...disappointing. Still got my Bioshock Big Daddy statue, and a Dead Island one that I've never opened (doesn't look like it includes the bikini-clad torso, alas).