Best Goal ever in Scottish football.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with you on Coopers goal.Another good one is King Kenny scoring against Spain in 86.Sticks it right away in the only place he can beat Zubizareta,as they had defenders back.Wish I know how to get it up,the page I mean lol

Hard to determine the greatest ever but five from Scotland games stand out for me. James McFadden v France 2007, John Greig v Italy 1965, Bobby Murdoch v West Germany 1969, Alan Gilzean v England 1964, Archie Gemmill v Holland 1978.

Eh.......Wattie was the gaffer.....d'oh. Five Scotland goals iv seen in lifetime, in no particular order....the fletcher/faddy combo v holland; gallacher's volley v austria; mcculloch's curler v ukraine, followed by hutton's run n square to Faddy in same game; and super Ally's v Switzerland. f**k it, another five....faddy v lithuania n france, durie v switzerland, the jackson/collins free kick v latvia and miller showing nesta up big time at near post v italy!! Take yir pick

I am with you on Coopers goal.Another good one is King Kenny scoring against Spain in 86.Sticks it right away in the only place he can beat Zubizareta,as they had defenders back.Wish I know how to get it up,the page I mean lol

It was in 1984.

Isnt the occasion and circumstances the goals were scored important??? I'd say the measure of a 'great' goal would be the thought process and pre meditation that go into it. Which i guess would only occur in an important match.....any diddy could score a one off peach in a friendly but be found wanting when the pressures on. But its all about opinions :)

Isnt the occasion and circumstances the goals were scored important??? I'd say the measure of a 'great' goal would be the thought process and pre meditation that go into it. Which i guess would only occur in an important match.....any diddy could score a one off peach in a friendly but be found wanting when the pressures on. But its all about opinions :)

I see your point, but great goals, rather than memorable ones is what the thread' s about. It started with a goal scored in a Glasgow Cup final or something equally daft.

I agree that context can matter, but suggesting for instance that Greig' s against Italy in the 60s was 'great' in itself strikes me as an excessive use of licence.

Concur with that as an example, actually i try to even water-down the enthusiasm which people salivate about gemmils goal on the basis that the whole competition was a fucking horror story. Maloneys free kick could also come into that....couldnt tell u the last time we scored direct from a fk, but in context, to me it meant zero after the previous six or seven outings....

I see your point, but great goals, rather than memorable ones is what the thread' s about. It started with a goal scored in a Glasgow Cup final or something equally daft.

I agree that context can matter, but suggesting for instance that Greig' s against Italy in the 60s was 'great' in itself strikes me as an excessive use of licence.

The whole move leading up to Greigs goal in the Italy game is what made it such a great goal. From goalkeeper Bill Brown giving the ball to Baxter, to Bremner, to Greig, to Baxter and the return to Greig makes it a great goal. From Brown to Greig scoring no Italian got near the ball. It was a superb move and finish.

The whole move leading up to Greigs goal in the Italy game is what made it such a great goal. From goalkeeper Bill Brown giving the ball to Baxter, to Bremner, to Greig, to Baxter and the return to Greig makes it a great goal. From Brown to Greig scoring no Italian got near the ball. It was a superb move and finish.

I stand corrected if it was indeed a great back to front team goal. I'd always thought it was just a last ditch low finish.

I will however bow to your greater knowledge of the period in question though Youngsy.

Got to agree with Youngsy, Greigs goal against Italy was a belter.

Dalglish against Wales at Anfield, pretty sure he won the ball in midfield and laid it off then was in the box when Buchan's cross came in. An absolute peach of a header.

A Charlie Nicholas goal against Switzerland I think, he seemed to swap feet as it dropped to him and he just sort of lobbed it into the net.

Difficult not to pick any of my own team as that's who I watch most, Motherwell and Scotland, dont have much interest in any other teams to be honest.

Psycho's 30 yarder in the semi against Celtic in '91 sticks out, as does Wee Dougie's header in the same match.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Pat Stanton - diving header v Motherwell at Easter Road Scottish Cup ( replay )

International Goals - John Greig v Italy 1965 ( good call )

Jim Baxter v England ( still cannot believe he beat Banks ( ? ) at his near post )

Jimmy Johnstone v England 1966

Archived