Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Boiler has now given up the ghost completely and I'm required to replace it. Been quoted £4300 by SSE... seems extremely high but I clearly know f**k all about boilers. Anyone know a decent plumber/heating engineer in the falkirk area? Apparently flue access is still going to be an issue. 

If I never hear the word flue again it'll be too soon. 

How about getting Brechin City's Dougie Hill to sort it for you? Think he's Edinburgh based. Twitter handle is @heatsourceheat.

Boiler has now given up the ghost completely and I'm required to replace it. Been quoted £4300 by SSE... seems extremely high but I clearly know f**k all about boilers. Anyone know a decent plumber/heating engineer in the falkirk area? Apparently flue access is still going to be an issue. 
If I never hear the word flue again it'll be too soon. 

£4300 is pretty steep, but it’s fairly well known that SSE and Scottish Power are a total piss take for this type of work. The latter are particularly useless when it comes to boiler break-downs.

I changed my set up two years ago from a two tank and hw cylinder gravity fed system to a direct mains combi-boiler system. Brand new boiler and some pipework alterations was £2k.

Anyway... The manager of Camelon Juniors is local and will probably be able to help you out.

https://m.facebook.com/Gordon-Herd-PlumbingHeating-Services-236340616810608/reviews

£4300 is about par for the course for rip off merchants like SSE and Scottish Gas, I know guys who work and have worked on the tools with them and they are effectively told to sell, sell and upsell when out on jobs.

Independent, smaller firms like some of those mentioned and....cough cough myself will give you a much fairer and reasonable price and service. 

Spoke to both those mentioned early evening and both have been round already to have a look. Superb service IMO. Both have basically said SSE are full of shite so will see what they're saying when they send through quotes tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendations. 

6 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Yeah sorry Magee I'm sure you're a great heating engineer but given your track record on here over several years I'm not comfy with the idea of you being in my home. 

Harsh....lol

In all seriousness good that you swerved the 'major names' and went with an independent firm, always baffles me that so many people go with the likes of Scottish Gas when, a quick look online or chat to anyone with a modicum of knowledge will tell you they are the biggest rip off con artist crooks on the market.

35 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Harsh....lol

In all seriousness good that you swerved the 'major names' and went with an independent firm, always baffles me that so many people go with the likes of Scottish Gas when, a quick look online or chat to anyone with a modicum of knowledge will tell you they are the biggest rip off con artist crooks on the market.

Knowledge is power and this is just a topic that people are really uninformed on generally speaking. Mechanics would be another example. I can see why some old biddy would go with SSE or that when they are 'reputable' over a local guy who is probably miles better. 

22 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

£4300 is about par for the course for rip off merchants like SSE and Scottish Gas, I know guys who work and have worked on the tools with them and they are effectively told to sell, sell and upsell when out on jobs.

Independent, smaller firms like some of those mentioned and....cough cough myself will give you a much fairer and reasonable price and service. 

Needed my boiler taken out behind the living room wall and a new one fitted upstairs in a cupboard Was asking around for advice and a few people said to stay clear of ScottishGas because of what they charged This was 5 year a go Got recommended a fitter who worked for himself Got a price of £2500 ish off him for the job which i thought was ok  My only concern with him was it was in January and i was scared he would get called away for other jobs while he was in the middle of mine so decided to get a other price off of James Frew Ltd  They did the job for £2200 ish although it was agreed with them i would lift and refit the floor boards  Was really surprized that a large company could do it cheaper than a one man working for himself

22 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Needed my boiler taken out behind the living room wall and a new one fitted upstairs in a cupboard Was asking around for advice and a few people said to stay clear of ScottishGas because of what they charged This was 5 year a go Got recommended a fitter who worked for himself Got a price of £2500 ish off him for the job which i thought was ok  My only concern with him was it was in January and i was scared he would get called away for other jobs while he was in the middle of mine so decided to get a other price off of James Frew Ltd  They did the job for £2200 ish although it was agreed with them i would lift and refit the floor boards  Was really surprized that a large company could do it cheaper than a one man working for himself

They can possibly get the boiler etc a bit cheaper than a one man band. Due bulk discount.

Ive a pal that is a gas engineer which is useful. My boiler however was installed by everwarm as it was a grant scheme’thing. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 21:15, Flybhoy said:

Woman next door had heating engineer from one of the above companies to service her boiler today. He slapped a 'Do Not Use' sticker on it saying that the problem was it was a 12mm pipe coming outside the house that connects on to an 18mm. He said that the 12mm was too small for the power of the boiler.... causing the readings to be all over the place.   Boiler is 4 years old, Potterton Titatium 33. Is this work really needing done or is he just taking the piss? Any heating engineers that can answer? Thanks.

Edited by maicoman

14 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Woman next door had heating engineer from one of the above companies to service her boiler today. He slapped a 'Do Not Use' sticker on it saying that the problem was it was a 12mm pipe coming outside the house that connects on to an 18mm. He said that the 12mm was too small for the boiler. Boiler 4 year old, Potterton Titatium 33. Is this work really needing done or is he just taking the piss? Any heating engineers that can answer? Thanks.

Tippex out "Do not" and it'll be fine.

21 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Woman next door had heating engineer from one of the above companies to service her boiler today. He slapped a 'Do Not Use' sticker on it saying that the problem was it was a 12mm pipe coming outside the house that connects on to an 18mm. He said that the 12mm was too small for the power of the boiler.... causing the readings to be all over the place.   Boiler is 4 years old, Potterton Titatium 33. Is this work really needing done or is he just taking the piss? Any heating engineers that can answer? Thanks.

Can you be more specific about the pipe and it's function?

Just now, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Can you be more specific about the pipe and it's function?

Sorry... Don't know exactly, just seems to be the main pipe in from the gas box outside as this is what they are wanting to replace...By running a new wider pipe from the box through the close (that runs between my house and hers) and in through the back of her house into the kitchen where the boiler is

1 minute ago, maicoman said:

Sorry... Don't know exactly, just seems to be the main pipe in from the gas box outside as this is what they are wanting to replace...By running a new wider pipe from the box through the close (that runs between my house and hers) and in through the back of her house into the kitchen where the boiler is

OK, this makes sense. 

Whoever installed the boiler has undersized the gas pipe and needs a boot in the baws.

The bottom line is the pipe needs to be upgraded. 

Get her to try and get the installer to sort it out, if they have any integrity left they should be doing it for free.

Just now, Zen Archer Esq. said:

OK, this makes sense. 

Whoever installed the boiler has undersized the gas pipe and needs a boot in the baws.

The bottom line is the pipe needs to be upgraded. 

Get her to try and get the installer to sort it out, if they have any integrity left they should be doing it for free.

Thanks, will let her know.  Was scared she was getting ripped off.  The guy that installed has obviously just joined it into existing small pipe instead of running a new one right through the house.

13 minutes ago, maicoman said:

I hope you're all happy with her new, wider, rear pipe.