Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

For the second year in a row British Gas have managed to service my perfectly functioning boiler and leave it broken.

Last year the engineer left and mentioned he just wanted to check as something was sticking. Turns out after servicing the solenoid stopped working all the time but he just accepted that somehow that this was acceptable. Fair play next day it was replaced.

Today a year later another engineer turns up and services the boiler. Hands me a signed sheet saying he checked all the radiators for leaks and for functionality. He didn't check any downstairs at all. He has signed off on this and ticked a box.

Later on I come back in and there's no heat coming from the radiators at all. I do the obvious and check the pilot light and mains is on. All ok. Then notice the pump isn't working and the switch connected to it is hanging off with exposed wires. Looks like it was taped on before but it seems a bit suspicious.

2s7e59t.jpg

Got an engineer coming out tomorrow morning and just waiting for the spiel about a part that isn't available blah blah you need a new boiler.

Any advice? There's three positions on the switch that control the flow (i think) I moved it to another position and the pump switched on and then switched off again once the hot water tank thermostat switched it off. The heating didn't come on at all though. When I tried the other positions I couldn't get it to switch on again. There's instructions on it that tell you to unscrew the black screw in the middle and put it back in again I started to unscrew it a bit and there was some water so quickly put it back in again.

For the second year in a row British Gas have managed to service my perfectly functioning boiler and leave it broken.

Last year the engineer left and mentioned he just wanted to check as something was sticking. Turns out after servicing the solenoid stopped working all the time but he just accepted that somehow that this was acceptable. Fair play next day it was replaced.

Today a year later another engineer turns up and services the boiler. Hands me a signed sheet saying he checked all the radiators for leaks and for functionality. He didn't check any downstairs at all. He has signed off on this and ticked a box.

Later on I come back in and there's no heat coming from the radiators at all. I do the obvious and check the pilot light and mains is on. All ok. Then notice the pump isn't working and the switch connected to it is hanging off with exposed wires. Looks like it was taped on before but it seems a bit suspicious.

2s7e59t.jpg

Got an engineer coming out tomorrow morning and just waiting for the spiel about a part that isn't available blah blah you need a new boiler.

Any advice? There's three positions on the switch that control the flow (i think) I moved it to another position and the pump switched on and then switched off again once the hot water tank thermostat switched it off. The heating didn't come on at all though. When I tried the other positions I couldn't get it to switch on again. There's instructions on it that tell you to unscrew the black screw in the middle and put it back in again I started to unscrew it a bit and there was some water so quickly put it back in again.

It looks like a dodgy (but old repair) but how this has happened is beyond me.

The pump itself looks like is has seen a bit of service, so it is not unlikely that it's demise is due.

A new pump ( probably a 15-50) is likely to cost approx. £100 to supply and install.

Yeah, it's an old boiler but works fine. I know things can stop working after servicing as they are getting switched off and on but surely it's their responsibility to ensure they are working afterwords?

Shoddy doesn't come close. Regardless of the outcome I'm cancelling the Homecare cover ASAP.

Zero confidence in them.

Years ago British/Scottish Gas baled out of the servicing business as it was costing them money due to having to remove parts to 'service' them.

The act of removing the parts was causing failures and subsequent recalls and it was inevitable that it was going to lose them money.

Wind forward twenty odd years and technology kicks in and they are able to get back into the market again.

The new checks rule out having to dismantle the appliance to 'service' the boiler and just so, if the 'flame picture' is correct and the flue gas analyser does not give concern then the appliance does not have to be dismantled, therefore saving money.

I've just realised that I've posted on this thread before.

DSC_0213.JPG

You ken the rules Zen. 3 strikes & youR out.

Grimbo

Eta for the paddlers in the shallow end of the genetic pool "youR" doesn't require the apostrophe it's txt talk, I'm down with the kids (not in the Yewtree gang way, ya sickos).

Was actually told this by the advisor on the phone.

Nobody is coming out because you're not old or disabled so basically we broke your boiler unlucks. I don't care.

Drink plenty of spirits too. Then go round and confront those fucking neighbours of yours. Or is that the other Pars fan?

Thermostat downstairs was left off so that was switching the radiators off.

Should've checked that but after last year assumed the worst. Still been left two years in a row without heating from negligence.

Going to bin the homecare and just get a local firm to service the boiler once a year.

Eco friendly boilers. ...... saving quite a bit so far.

The company I dealt we however from Dumbarton are a joke. However compensation is in the process.

I've nothing to add here just wanted to share

Well you've no excuse for not shelling out on decent trainers and binning those lonsdale slip ons now.

• 1 year later...

So the honeymoon period in my beautiful new flat has lasted ten days. Boiler is in the blink and a Scottish gas engineer comes out to look at it. He won't do anything at all with it because there are no flue access hatches. The problem is likely completely unrelated to the flue. 

Should I stump up to have these access hatches installed? Seems to be conflicting advice following a fairly quick google. And in the mean time if I assume the risk can I get someone to fix the unrelated boiler issue? As I say he wouldn't even look at the boiler, just stuck a sticker on it saying do not use effectively. 

Just now, CountyFan said:

So the honeymoon period in my beautiful new flat has lasted ten days. Boiler is in the blink and a Scottish gas engineer comes out to look at it. He won't do anything at all with it because there are no flue access hatches. The problem is likely completely unrelated to the flue. 

Should I stump up to have these access hatches installed? Seems to be conflicting advice following a fairly quick google. And in the mean time if I assume the risk can I get someone to fix the unrelated boiler issue? As I say he wouldn't even look at the boiler, just stuck a sticker on it saying do not use effectively. 

I take it the flue is encased in a pipe box, if so the engineer would be required to visibly inspect any joints on the flue to verify their integrity, this is normal.

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Shouldn't cost too much to have a few hatches fitted (unless the flue takes some stupid route that makes access a pain - plus you need to make sure the joiner understands the regulations). Moving the boiler to an outside wall is the alternative so the hatches are a cheapish, if a wee bit unsightly solution. 

It's in the ceiling void between my flat and the upstairs. Supposedly the factors arranged for this to be done on a few of the flats years ago but the previous owners on mine evidently decided against getting it sorted. The flat is ten years old and I am assuming will have had regularly boiler services so they must have been aware of this issue and assumed the risk themselves. 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

It's in the ceiling void between my flat and the upstairs. Supposedly the factors arranged for this to be done on a few of the flats years ago but the previous owners on mine evidently decided against getting it sorted. The flat is ten years old and I am assuming will have had regularly boiler services so they must have been aware of this issue and assumed the risk themselves

This cannot happen.

The inspection of the flue is covered in the Code of Practice which accompanies the Gas Regulations.

A visual inspection is always carried out prior to starting any work to establish if the installation complies with the regs.