Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

On 17/10/2015 at 02:10, D.A.F.C said:

For the second year in a row British Gas have managed to service my perfectly functioning boiler and leave it broken.

Last year the engineer left and mentioned he just wanted to check as something was sticking. Turns out after servicing the solenoid stopped working all the time but he just accepted that somehow that this was acceptable. Fair play next day it was replaced.

Today a year later another engineer turns up and services the boiler. Hands me a signed sheet saying he checked all the radiators for leaks and for functionality. He didn't check any downstairs at all. He has signed off on this and ticked a box.

Later on I come back in and there's no heat coming from the radiators at all. I do the obvious and check the pilot light and mains is on. All ok. Then notice the pump isn't working and the switch connected to it is hanging off with exposed wires. Looks like it was taped on before but it seems a bit suspicious.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2s7e59t.jpg

Got an engineer coming out tomorrow morning and just waiting for the spiel about a part that isn't available blah blah you need a new boiler.

Any advice? There's three positions on the switch that control the flow (i think) I moved it to another position and the pump switched on and then switched off again once the hot water tank thermostat switched it off to gas boiler repair. The heating didn't come on at all though. When I tried the other positions I couldn't get it to switch on again. There's instructions on it that tell you to unscrew the black screw in the middle and put it back in again I started to unscrew it a bit and there was some water so quickly put it back in again.

It is recommended to have a service once every year, but is it really necessary? A gas fitter once told me that he thought once every two years was acceptable. Wouldn't it also depend on how much the boiler was used?

4 hours ago, hividoy said:

It is recommended to have a service once every year, but is it really necessary? A gas fitter once told me that he thought once every two years was acceptable. Wouldn't it also depend on how much the boiler was used?

@Flybhoy

4 hours ago, hividoy said:

It's not necessary by law, in fact by law you don't have to get it serviced at all but, if you have boiler cover or a manufacturer warranty they won't carry out any repairs without evidence of a yearly service, whether it be in the form of a paper/digital service record or, the small service log record with the boiler manual. Off the record but boiler manufacturers in particular will look for any reason to invalidate a warranty and get out of a repair, the favourite of most them is if it hasn't been serviced yearly or, a lack of proof of a service, I'd also point out things like the cleaning of a condensate trap, flue gas analysis, gas rating of the boiler, gas tightness test and cleaning of the magnetic filter should be done yearly so if you don't have these things done you risk issues with the boiler down the line.

The one exception to this is rental properties, whether local authorities, housing associations or private landlords, they must, by law have a yearly gas safety inspection and certification. 

@Flybhoy

I have a question! In my hot press there is a valve that i sometimes have to open for a few seconds to bring the pressure up on my boiler if it has dropped below 1 bar.

I normally bring it up to 1-1.5 bar then run to hot press and close it. 

The last time i let the pressure go past 2 bar maybe 2.5 and found that the towel heaters in my two bathrooms had started working again.

Is it ok to have the pressure higher like that because it really takes the chill out the rooms with them working.

I was once told to turn off all the rads one at a time and that would get those rails working but just couldnt get it to work.