Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any dealings with Homeshield Scotland? Had the guy round yesterday to look at our boiler (18 years old, we've just bought the house) and quoted 4.1k for new boiler, installation and 10 year warranty. 

Seems a lot from a company that I'd never heard of, and are primarily a double glazing company

Has anyone had any dealings with Homeshield Scotland? Had the guy round yesterday to look at our boiler (18 years old, we've just bought the house) and quoted 4.1k for new boiler, installation and 10 year warranty. 

Seems a lot from a company that I'd never heard of, and are primarily a double glazing company
4k is possibly the most expensive domestic boiler install I've heard.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:
13 minutes ago, deej said:

4k is possibly the most expensive domestic boiler install I've heard.

Their reasoning was that a 10 year warranty with no call out charges etc was why it was so much. And changing the old boiler for a combi boiler.

2 minutes ago, deej said:

Their reasoning was that a 10 year warranty with no call out charges etc was why it was so much. And changing the old boiler for a combi boiler.

This time last year I was 3k for the following: ancient electric storage heaters and water cylinder ripped out, gas line brought in, new boiler with 10 year warranty plus radiators and towel rail installed. Just a 2 bed flat mind but that seems extortionate.

Get some local guys in to quote, less likely to be on timed contracts to do x amount boilers in week so you may get a better finish. 

Also most boilers will come with manufacturers warranty with no call outs. 

Edited by RH33

Just now, GiGi said:

This time last year I was 3k for the following: ancient electric storage heaters and water cylinder ripped out, gas line brought in, new boiler with 10 year warranty plus radiators and towel rail installed. Just a 2 bed flat mind but that seems extortionate.

With Homeshield? Or someone else?

14 minutes ago, deej said:

With Homeshield? Or someone else?

Some other contracting mob, I could PM you the company but I'm sure they're Glasgow based. I can't remember how I found them, I'm sure I called up some kind of centralised panel who put me in touch with a load of other companies who came in to see the size of the job etc for quotes. I actually had cheaper quotes than what I opted for but ended up with a better boiler and longer warranty. One guy just walked round my house shaking his head at everything from the walls to the joists like 'hmm nah this is no good' etc so found it easy to see who wanted the job and who didn't.

Agree with above post, get several local companies round to get prices, I'm sure you'll get a lot cheaper that what you've been quoted so far.

2 hours ago, deej said:

That’s an utter pisstake of a price. Big companies are notorious for exorbitant quotes though. I laughed down the phone at Scottish Power when they quoted me a similar figure a while ago.

We changed our hot water/heating system from a gravity-fed set up to a combi-boiler a couple years ago. Camelon Juniors manager sorted us out with a new combi-boiler plus removal of the old stuff and some other minor plumbing remedial works for just under £2k.

Aye I thought it was a bit mental, but its our first home and never bought a boiler before so thought I'd check around. British Gas booked in for a quote as well (why not) and will ask around for some locals. 

Unless anyone on here knows of someone decent in Aberdeenshire (Stonehaven)

I showed that post to my father today, he's a retired engineer/bolierman. He's currently phoning the Department for Works & Pensions to see if he can come out of retirement

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 hours ago, deej said:

I showed that post to my father today, he's a retired engineer/bolierman. He's currently phoning the Department for Works & Pensions to see if he can come out of retirement

If he does, he looking for a job?

Aye I thought it was a bit mental, but its our first home and never bought a boiler before so thought I'd check around. British Gas booked in for a quote as well (why not) and will ask around for some locals. 

Unless anyone on here knows of someone decent in Aberdeenshire (Stonehaven)
I've sent you a PM with details of a guy in Montrose[emoji1303]

• 1 year later...