The Last of Us

Dee4Life1893

Replaying The Last of Us one before picking up the second, the presentation is fantastic, kinda always has been with Naughty Dog but some of the actual mechanics, especially with combat just feel so dated. 

Naughty Dog really know how to make gorgeous, well directed games but man they are never that great to play. 

Replaying The Last of Us one before picking up the second, the presentation is fantastic, kinda always has been with Naughty Dog but some of the actual mechanics, especially with combat just feel so dated. 
Naughty Dog really know how to make gorgeous, well directed games but man they are never that great to play. 
The only thing I felt was dated were the transitions from gameplay to cut scene (and vice versa) but I'm not sure how much they could've done to solve that with the tech available. I didn't really like the stealth too, and that was kind of amplified by me spending a month playing Hitman just before.

What games do you actually enjoy Ramma?

Anyone got spoiler free thoughts? I’m swivering whether you get this just now or wait a bit

I’m only 6 hours in but I’m loving it so far.

It’s much darker that the first one but at the moment I have absolutely no complaints about it.

I can’t really say anymore without spoiling something.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m only 6 hours in but I’m loving it so far.

It’s much darker that the first one but at the moment I have absolutely no complaints about it.

I can’t really say anymore without spoiling something.

Yeah, I'm only 3 hours in and there is already nothing I can say that won't ruin it other than so far it's fucking great. Gameplay is pretty similar to the first game, which in some ways has made it a lot easier to get into. I've only died once so far, I'm pretty sure in the first game I died about 4 times just on the first contact with the infected in that fallen down building.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I'm only 3 hours in and there is already nothing I can say that won't ruin it other than so far it's fucking great. Gameplay is pretty similar to the first game, which in some ways has made it a lot easier to get into. I've only died once so far, I'm pretty sure in the first game I died about 4 times just on the first contact with the infected in that fallen down building.

This has reminded me that in the original I accidentally threw a molotov cocktail away before a checkpoint and it made the early bit in the subway with a few infected incredibly difficult to get through.

Cheers for the reviews people generally, keeping an eye on this thread to decide whether to wait for the price drop and appreciate it being spoiler free. 

Edited by The OP

18 minutes ago, The OP said:

This has reminded me that in the original I accidentally threw a molotov cocktail away before a checkpoint and it made the early bit in the subway with a few infected incredibly difficult to get through.

Cheers for the reviews people generally, keeping an eye on this thread to decide whether to wait for the price drop and appreciate it being spoiler free. 

In this one it's the listen for baddies and the stand up and sprint buttons I keep mixing up which got me some unwanted attention from an agitated clicker.

I played a bit more this morning and I'm seething that I am going out this afternoon and that I have a wife and a child who will have returned to the house by the time I get home. Maybe it all goes to shit later on, but so far it's been amazing. 

I'm 3-4 hours in...

but I'm guessing I've seen why everyone was pissed off by the leaks. I did expect this to be Ellie's story, but it kind of destroys a lot of the fond memories of the first game which were really needed to contrast the misery. Sadly, it was apparent that he'd get iced based off of the marketing and vague comments on here.

Also, on the game itself, it plays much like the first game, although there's an added emphasis on kind of annoying platforming. Based on where I am now (i.e. not very far), the environments will be more open with smaller buildings to search. I'd be really surprised if it opens up to the point where it's like a God of War open world; I'm expecting to move to different areas with no option to return to previous ones. That could be wrong though.

I'm not far enough to comment on how the combat's changed as it hasn't introduced anything new yet AFAIR.

I've read somewhere that there's a couple (or maybe just one) area where it sorta opens up a bit for the player but that it almost universally stays to the same formula of the first game in funnelling the player through corridors of enemies.

Why the f**k would anybody want or expect this to be another open world game? Is there not enough of them?

Also considering the first one wasn’t open world and none of the Uncharted games are open world.

The areas are definitely bigger. You can choose to search through buildings for supplies and clear out zombies if you want to but ultimately there are set boundaries and a clear way the game wants you to go.

Why the f**k would anybody want or expect this to be another open world game? Is there not enough of them?
I don't want or expect it to be; it just seemed like it might've been moving in that direction based on what I've played so far.