The Last of Us

Dee4Life1893

I don't want to know any spoilers please. But in a word, are people pissed off because it A. isn't a sequel or B. because they think the plot is shite?

I know Ellie has featured in a trailer but from the other clips I've seen I've assumed it was an entirely new story.

Hmm. I don’t think there is anyway to word it without giving you an idea for what happens.

Look, on its own, this might have unrivalled gameplay and mechanics, like the original, but TLOU is plot-driven, and TLOU2 totally shits on everything we grew to love in the original.

I didn’t realise half the moaning was about one of the supposed playable characters which should be surprising but then I remember people got mad at Bungie making the apparently awful decision to have you play as a Keith David voiced warrior alien in Halo 2.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Luckily for Naughty Dog Kotaku and Waypoints have slaughtered it so the gamergate nerds will have to get back onside

That Kotaku review is...interesting.

I'll not call it bad, but I'm not really sure it's much of a review of the game, more like the sort of review you'd get of a book or movie or something less interactive.  Could also be boiled down to a few bullet-points.  The game is slow paced, it's exhausting, and it's unrelentingly dark and violent.  Ok.  GamesRadar gave a pretty glowing review, and it seemed more like a review of the game.  

None of it'll stop me picking it up though, looking forward to it. 

I'll not call it bad, but I'm not really sure it's much of a review of the game, more like the sort of review you'd get of a book or movie or something less interactive.  Could also be boiled down to a few bullet-points.  The game is slow paced, it's exhausting, and it's unrelentingly dark and violent.  Ok.  GamesRadar gave a pretty glowing review, and it seemed more like a review of the game.  
I'm the same. I think reviews are pretty pointless, particularly in sequels. If I liked the first game I'll be buying the second regardless of what some arseholes say about it.

20 minutes ago, forameus said:

I haven't read it. I do think it's fine to compare it to books or a movie when there's scores of people positively comparing to to movies and TV series and especially so when it's a Naughty Dog game which generally has functional gameplay and lives and dies on the story it tells and the fact it does feel like an interactive action movie.

I liked the Waypoint one but then I do like Rob Zacny's writing and think he is generally thoughtful and interesting. The impression seems to be that it's a slog: grimy, violent and brutal which is fine but the issue is it doesn't deserve it from the narrative.

My worry is that game reviewers generally want to find exemplars that they can hold up as proof that the medium has artistic merit which allows them to look past pretty glaring faults and declare a prestige blockbuster as a momentous event for games.

It might be moot. I doubt I'll buy on release but I will definitely check out a Let's Play and/ or get it when it's reduced if I don't just cave to see it for myself but I remember people had a lot of understandable doubts about Rockstar's ability to tell a meaningful story in Red Dead 2 and that might be the best game I've ever played.

The first game was an emotional journey with Joel. Ellie was a by-product of that but for me, the game was all about Joel and his relationship with the world, people and ultimately him growing to love again.

The fact that they've relegated him to being a side character has put me off massively and that was before the ridiculous spoilers came out. I've no real interest in getting this game (That's not to say I won't pick it up at some point if it's on a deal) and that's a shocking indictment on the way Naughty Dog have played this considering the first game is probably the greatest game of the PS3 era.

Best to make your own mind up about things. Reviews can be helpful but aren't the be all and end all. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the Kane and Lynch games for example.........
I really enjoyed those games as well. The only issue I had was thy were ridiculously short.
The first game was an emotional journey with Joel. Ellie was a by-product of that but for me, the game was all about Joel and his relationship with the world, people and ultimately him growing to love again.
The fact that they've relegated him to being a side character has put me off massively and that was before the ridiculous spoilers came out. I've no real interest in getting this game (That's not to say I won't pick it up at some point if it's on a deal) and that's a shocking indictment on the way Naughty Dog have played this considering the first game is probably the greatest game of the PS3 era.
I've avoided information about it but I had it in my head we'd be following Ellie this time anyway. So much so that when I saw a video featuring Joel I actually thought "oh it's good we get to see Joel".

I've spent the lack week or so replaying the first one in anticipation of P2. It really is terrifically written and acted with great music too. It'd be pretty easy for them to kind of neglect the gameplay in favour of the storytelling, but, while it's not revolutionary, they do the basics really well (decent gunplay, heavy melee combat and exploring the environments is worthwhile due to limited supplies as well as the environmental storytelling) and it's often used as an opportunity to progress the characters as opposed to being filler in between cut scenes.

I think I've only completed it once before but my memory is of the game being longer and more difficult; I had it in my head that there were tonnes of rug-pulls (there were barely any) and really tough sections (some took time to do without dying but I can't think of any that were particularly difficult).

Every cut scene towards the end was a complete moral mind-f**k and the perfect conclusion to everything that came before.

Honestly, I don't actually think we needed a sequel, and if it's desecrated the original as much as folk on here are saying then that may be true, but the first is so great that I'm more than happy to see what they do with it.