The Last of Us

Dee4Life1893

13 hours ago, GAD said:

Why the f**k would anybody want or expect this to be another open world game? Is there not enough of them?

Games are experimenting with finding alternatives to an open world or corridors that you're funnelled through though. Even the most recent Metro had 4-5 semi open world levels where the objectives in each area could be explored largely at your own discretion but they were self-contained. This isn't a complaint of anything btw just pointing out.

I finished it earlier today as well. I really enjoyed it overall although I can understand why some won’t. It’s definitely not for everyone although the review bombing that is taking place over it is a huge overreaction imo.

Isn’t the storyline meant to be 30 hours long... that’s mental.

It’s more like 20 hours if you just stick to the story and don’t get sidetracked by collectibles or exploring other parts of the area.

10 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Isn’t the storyline meant to be 30 hours long... that’s mental.

HowLongtoBeat has 20 hours as the almost exact average for a normal run and 29 for a 100% run.

Finished it last night at around 27-28 hours. Absolutely loved it, tbh. Some more thoughts in the spoiler below.

Don't click it unless you've finished the game.

Spoiler

I read and watched some of the spoilers and leaks that came out, particularly the ones surrounding Joel's death and it didn't take anything away from my experience, although I was surprised at how early on it happens! But, I'd kinda forgotten about it within an hour or two once you get to Seattle. The combat and exploring was so enjoyable, that I just put the whole story out of my mind and had a blast tearing through the first infected you come across. Loved some of the interactions between Dina and Ellie, too. Not quite on the level of Joel + Ellie in the first game, but still pretty great.

The pacing did feel a bit off compared to the first game, although a lot of that I'm sure is to do with the new semi-open world areas giving you more freedom to explore and dick around rather than pushing on with the story, albeit that it's entirely optional. The flashback stuff dropped the pace down considerably as well, but there was a point to it, so it didn't dampen things too much - the museum flashback in particular was fucking brilliant.

The part I enjoyed the least, and this seems to be the case for a lot of people from what I've read, at least initially, was when you start over in Seattle playing as Abby. We'd just reached a huge point in the game with Abby storming in to the Theatre and confronting Ellie...only to be dragged away for about 10 hours. That first hour playing as Abby I fucking hated every second. I just wanted to get back to what had just happened! Bearing in mind, your only real experience with Abby until this point was a little bit of time playing her at the start, where Joel and Tommy rescue her...only for her to cave Joel's head in. So throwing you right in to a lengthy play time with her is a pretty ballsy move from the directors. Not surprised it pissed a lot of people off.

It pays off though. Some of the best parts in the game come from playing as Abby, it's just getting beyond that first hour or so until the game settles in to her story. The chapter on the Scar Island was a standout. And the way it all worked its way back around to the theatre was superb. Plus, playing that boss fight as Abby AGAINST Ellie felt so bizarre. I let Ellie kill me multiple times just for the joy of it.

The ending definitely had me tearing up. The fuckers. I'm not sure if I prefer it over the first game, it's a tough call. Hell of an experience though. I was absolutely drained emotionally by the end.

Also, the fucking whistling from the Scars is horrific. I played the whole game with headphones and that scared the shit out of me every single time.

Lev needs a spin-off or some DLC. Probably my favourite character in the game after Ellie.

This is way creepier than the first one. My arse collapses as soon as I enter some buildings and rooms. Probably a few too many jump scares though.

I am absolutely garbage as stealth. I can usually clear out maybe half (at most) of the enemies in an area but it almost always ends up in a shootout.

Only played a couple of hours so far, but I'm starting to remember why I didn't quite get into the first one.  I enjoyed it, and the story was brilliant, but I didn't think the gameplay was thatgood.  Quite repetitive at times, just moving from room to room, with not much variation to combat.  Now I know I'm only a couple of hours in, and I expect I'll fall right into the story.

And mild story spoilers for the first couple of hours...

Also, that Kotaku review made it seem like we were getting something worse than genocide early on with Joel's death.  It was pretty brutal, but the way that review was written suggested something far, far more harrowing.  Maybe it'll get worse.

They’ve completely ballsed up with the pacing/order of their story. Characters are killed off, and almost immediately forgotten about by the main cast. Moreover, the characters that are killed (Besides the obvious one) are so underdeveloped it’s unreal; which is then only addressed via flashbacks (and even then, the character development in them is limited). It seems pretty backwards. There’s very little impact with the characters that die, which would be fixed if there was some reordering of the story/flashbacks and more development of the side characters.

The actual sequences in the flashbacks are probably the best parts of the game, but the gameplay itself just isn’t attention-grabbing anymore. Definitely a bit dated in that respect.

Visually, the game is a masterpiece. Likewise with the soundtrack, it’s pretty amazing, but...it’s just not groundbreaking in the same way as the original.

Boiling the entirety of the first games story, and its conclusion into a simple revenge plot for the sequel is also pretty unimaginative.

I’d say 6/7 out of 10 is about right.

I just did the bit in the office building with the stalkers and had to turn off afterwards as my heart couldn't take anymore.

I actually really like the combat, I think it's really tense and it always feels like you are one small mistake away from disaster. Its scrappy at times, but I like that, it feels more realistic to me, and you always feel vulnerable.

I’ve had time to reflect on the game and whilst I enjoyed playing it I think they’ve completely screwed up the story.

I agree with everything SweeperDee says above. The music and visuals are stunning but the game is let down by a pretty poor and shoddy plot.

Definitely right RE the pacing. I've done just over 14 hours now, which is longer than the original, but feel that the characters and narrative haven't progressed enough - it could definitely be tighter. I realise the fact that, thus far, you're not regularly moving to distinctly different locations like the first one means that there's less artificial progression, but it's just way less engaging to me regardless. Dina and Jesse are really bland too.

I just did the bit in the office building with the stalkers and had to turn off afterwards as my heart couldn't take anymore.
I actually really like the combat, I think it's really tense and it always feels like you are one small mistake away from disaster. Its scrappy at times, but I like that, it feels more realistic to me, and you always feel vulnerable.

I really enjoy the intensity of the combat and I’m gonna say that while I appreciate there being an audio cue that combat is over I almost wish there wasn’t, or that it was delayed a bit longer, as it does usher in a big wave of a relief but at the cost of something I can’t quite articulate.