Dreadful Cover Versions

its all so hit & miss though those albums

for every bad romance there is a super bass

Agree on that. The good ones are always well worth going through the dross for though. The good stuff is usually VERY good.

I know there are many, many crappy covers out there, but I had some shitty concert from Twickenham on in the background and Beyonce has just "performed" an inexorably bad version of "Come Together", all in the name of equality for wummin.

This concert is apparently being held to promote education for women, a laudable concept, but the audience seems to consist of dayglow permatanned orange women who are happy to bop up and down and scream at the "artistes" as they mime their latest hit.

Where are the strong female artistes like Melissa Etheridge,Tori Amos, Jewel, Michelle Shcoked, Brandi Carlile, Mary J Blige and the ilk?

I saw it and I think Mary J Blige did Come Together with J-Lo didn't she?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're going to do a shite cover Robbie, at least have the common decency to actually learn the correct lyrics you bellend.

This is inexcusable. Boyzone, Gabrielle and fucking Heather Small on the same record as Lou Reed and Bowie. This is a maiming.

Edited by Edinpar

Hate the Cash version of Hurt, and I hate the way people somehow associate the lyrics to being about Cash and his impending death (which I think was just a matter of weeks after it was released). It's not about a guy looking back at life, it's all about someone falling into a spiral of drug abuse. Cash did a lot of covers before his death, Rusty Cage (Soundgarden) being another. I detest anything Country and Western and for me any of those covers is like pulling my own teeth.

Recently I heard a couple of cover versions of Bowie songs, one of them Ziggy Stardust the other The Man Who Sold The World, both of which were incredibly bad. I didn't catch who they were by but from the way they were presented by the radio it was by a modern and fairly recognisable X-Factor style teen success. I didn't try to find out who they were by, it was just too depressing that Bowie had allowed people to cover his song so badly but if anyone recognises this, add them to the bad covers list.

I can understand why people hate the Cash version, and why people hate Cash in general. For whatever reason I love his music though

I also enjoyed The Streets, maybe I just enjoy people talking with music playing at the same time

There's this wee cow called Birdy that covers decent guys like the national, Phoenix and Bon iver but she always applies the same pace and generic sadness to the songs, it is unbearable and has ruined the meaning in a couple of great songs.