Shite Local Festivals

Gaz

:lol: I remember calling it a Galla Day once to a Bo'nesser. I thought she was going to give me my head in my hands to play with. Christ they take it seriousily.

Always fun to take the piss out of Bo'nessers, especially as I live with 3 of them.

I'm surprised they haven't arrived here yet to deal with lanky ffc!! I missed Linlithgow Marches for a number of years but I'm back into it now. I catch up with guys I haven't seen for years. There's always a tension around the shows as a result of stupid wee boys trying to get their tongue down someone else's stupid wee lassie (who is in no fit state to tell who's trying to bite her tonsils) and then there's local ned rivalries on top of that. But for the most part it's not bad. Folk get a bit pished, walk round the streets waving like fvck at everyone and then ignore each other for another 12 months. Braw!

Sounds about right. I'd also add that there are quite a few folk you're glad you haven't seen for fucking ages, but you bump into almost every one of the fuckers on the Marches.

I still find it weird that some folk go into town for a pint at about 5 in the morning, and if the Star is reopened in time I wonder if they'd look at getting a licence to open that early for an hour or so.

I wonder if Magic Malky will be there this year? He is appearing in court soon accused of some sort of sex offence.

I remember watching Magic Malky perform during my Christmas dinner in the Leapark Hotel, Grangemouth in 2002. It's one of those stage names you never forget. It's a small world.

:lol: I remember calling it a Galla Day once to a Bo'nesser. I thought she was going to give me my head in my hands to play with. Christ they take it seriousily.

My friend stayed in halls in 1st year with a girl from Orkney and one night they were having a few drinks when she got a call from her dad who was originally from Bo'ness. My pal managed to convince her to put him on the phone and proceded to sing, "Bo'ness fair's a fucking gala day". Her dad was absolutely seething and threatened to get the first ferry to mainland and come and sort him out :lol:

Guid Nychburris in Dumfries is surely the most ironically-named 'festival' in the whole of Scotland given that - for most of the day - my fellow Doonhamers are generally engaged in battering the fcuk out of each other.

I'll be staying in on that day as usual.

There's usually a festival of some sort on in Edinburgh

We recently had the Norway day parade, I was at the Meadows Festival (It's like Tollcross village fete) yesterday and it was good family fun. The forthcoming Canal Festival will be greatly enhanced by the presence of P&B celebrity sjc and his famous boat. Leith has a festival next weekend followed by gay pride, the Royal Highland show the Edinburgh Magic festival, the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival is the next of the "major ones". The Octoberfest bier festival looks appetising as well (also available in Glasgow the following week).

As for arsehole festivals The Irish Republican "James Connoly Society" march and the Orange Order one now get lower turn outs than the Norwegians and even combining the two together they still get less turnout than Gay pride

That's exactly how I'd describe the Marches too. It's the classic:

'Mind so-and-so from school?'

'Aye?'

'That's her there'

'Fucking hell'

'Aye, she had the kid a while back. Think the dad's in jail'

It's almost as bad when they see you and act quite sound, but you know they'll probably snap at some point. The hard part is trying to fob them off without being too arsey about it, and without being too obvious. My preferred method is ducking into a pub they're barred from (or not going into the only one they aren't).

I'm actually looking forward to the Marches tbh.

Edited by Lordofthewing

Guid Nychburris in Dumfries is surely the most ironically-named 'festival' in the whole of Scotland given that - for most of the day - my fellow Doonhamers are generally engaged in battering the fcuk out of each other.

I'll be staying in on that day as usual.

Staying in is the best policy on that day.

It can be brutal!

Galas are just Highland Games without the games (and hence without the tourists).

Eta: When people say "it's not as good as it used to be", is a lot of that down to us getting old and boring? My old village gala's a bit shite (coming up this weekend come to think of it) but when I think about it, there's little lost / added since I was at primary school where it came second only to Christmas.

Some things like Keith Show have genuinely gone downhill though (increased entry price --> less people go --> less people contribute stuff --> etc etc)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Our village has a gala day that it calls 'The Games'. There's no actually gaming of any sort other than the pipe band competition though, so I suppose the game must be to find an unmutated chromosome.

Honestly, it's EXACTLY the same every year, same stalls, same people, same neds, same 'traditional' songs, everything. It's what I imagine Brechin will be like when it reaches the 70's in 15 years time.

One year I won a raffle prize - a black and yellow scarf that had printed in gold lettering: 'Alloa Athletic Are Magic!' by someone's blind gran.

• 4 weeks later...

Just updated my Facebook with, "Hope everyone in Bo'ness enjoys the gala day tomorrow".

*awaits the seethe*

:lol:

Might need to do this myself!

Dundee Blues Bonanza is this weekend, gutted to be missing it as it's usually a great atmosphere. All the pubs are busy, Dundee doesn't seem like a ghost town for once.

Just updated my Facebook with, "Hope everyone in Bo'ness enjoys the gala day tomorrow".

*awaits the seethe*

Couldn't resist. Hoping for some proper "verge of tears" moments

:lol:

Might need to do this myself!

Couldn't resist. Hoping for some proper "verge of tears" moments

Well, ffcsam and my auntie have well and truly spoiled that! Edited by Gaz