Reasons to be Cheerful

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Went to pick up my curry there, and as I waited outside the shop, a car stopped at the adjacent traffic lights, and a big daft St Bernard stuck its massive face out the window and smiled at me.

Simple pleasures.

Measuring you up to eat you imo.

You moving permanently?
Yup. The original plan was to start a business in Uzbekistan but that's sort of fallen through/been postponed due to covid. So it's back to Scotland for at least a year or so.

I'm pretty excited to be going back for the obvious stereotypical reasons. There's also some things about life and work in this part of Italy which aren't so great, and then there's the fact that it's been pretty boring here due to lockdown and I was supposed to have left two months ago.

I'll have good memories of Italy (more so than other places I've lived e.g. Finland, Denmark) but leaving is the right decision (as it was in Turkey and Albania).

I've been really missing sport, and Italian football has a completely different culture to Scottish.

That said, I'm sure after a few months of neds, high winds, pricy booze and yet another defeat to Montrose I'll be wishing I was back in Italy.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Yup. The original plan was to start a business in Uzbekistan but that's sort of fallen through/been postponed due to covid. So it's back to Scotland for at least a year or so.

I'm pretty excited to be going back for the obvious stereotypical reasons. There's also some things about life and work in this part of Italy which aren't so great, and then there's the fact that it's been pretty boring here due to lockdown and I was supposed to have left two months ago.

I'll have good memories of Italy (more so than other places I've lived e.g. Finland, Denmark) but leaving is the right decision (as it was in Turkey and Albania).

I've been really missing sport, and Italian football has a completely different culture to Scottish.

That said, I'm sure after a few months of neds, high winds, pricy booze and yet another defeat to Montrose I'll be wishing I was back in Italy.

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you pal. I'm in Italy too and yes, there are plenty of things which are frustrating and asometimes just plain daft. However, I do agree that you will miss it soon enough. All the best and hope the move goes well.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

What do you do for a living? Seems teckle going about different places 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

We all will.

Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you pal. I'm in Italy too and yes, there are plenty of things which are frustrating and asometimes just plain daft. However, I do agree that you will miss it soon enough. All the best and hope the move goes well.
About 90% of my complaints about work have been met with "yeah, that's just how it is in Italy" by locals.
For example, my contract ends on Wednesday, I came into work this morning and I found out they were expecting me in on Thursday and Friday as well because my flight isn't until next Monday.
I'll definitely be back for a visit though.
Different stuff in different places really. Like everything it has its advantages and disadvantages. After twenty years of wandering I'm beginning to feel a bit like Scott Bakula, hoping my next leap will be my last.

Different stuff in different places really. Like everything it has its advantages and disadvantages. After twenty years of wandering I'm beginning to feel a bit like Scott Bakula, hoping my next leap will be my last.

What business would you be looking to set up in Uzbekistan?

Initially an English school. I've a contact in the ministry of education who can smooth things over with regards to certification and tax. The opportunities are limitless there though. One of my friends' cousins runs the Chrysler plants out there and a lot of his friends back in Michigan are investing heavily in the country.

45 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Initially an English school. I've a contact in the ministry of education who can smooth things over with regards to certification and tax. The opportunities are limitless there though. One of my friends' cousins runs the Chrysler plants out there and a lot of his friends back in Michigan are investing heavily in the country.

That sounds outstanding. 

22 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'm presuming he's either an outlaw now forced to evade the EU (certainly Italy after getting in over his head with the Italian Mafia), or a Russian-Uzbek speaking double agent.  Either could establish an English school, which would provide sufficient cover in either instance. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

16 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I have just scoffed over 20 wild strawberries gathered when out for a stroll in the evening sunshine.

Delicious, sweet and free. Life is good.

I know it's early in summer just now, but it annoys me to see so many thorny plants out on my country ramblings and not a single bramble to munch on.  Cutting back on traces of fertiliser and dog's piss probably has its health benefits I guess. 

The owner of the local semi-pro basketball team, of which I'm a season ticket holder, heard I was leaving and invited me round to his house tonight for drinks and to give me some free merchandise. A really nice guy with a very very nice house.

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The owner of the local semi-pro basketball team, of which I'm a season ticket holder, heard I was leaving and invited me round to his house tonight for drinks and to give me some free merchandise. A really nice guy with a very very nice house.

Did you both go to town on his Mrs?