Reasons to be Cheerful

Two for me.

1. Just got my highest score from a word in Scrabble - 176 points.

2. I subscribe to DAZN to get the EPL games, albeit with a Spanish commentary.  Just found out that by setting my VPN to Canada I can use DAZN to get the Champions League with an English commentary and an excellent transmission quality.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Watching football with foreign commentary is a great way to help learn a language.

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

9 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Alex Jones to pay $473m in punitive damages, this on top of almost $1bn jury-awarded damages.

God bless 'Murca..................

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/10/alex-jones-conspiracy-theorist-sandy-hook-victims-hoax

I know The One Show is eye-bleedingly bad, but seems harsh to punish the presenter with this much compo.

On 06/11/2022 at 14:11, Florentine_Pogen said:

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

I think that’s foreign for ‘goal’. 

On 30/10/2022 at 01:49, Raidernation said:

I am out of the loony bin.
Not fixed, not by a long way, but no longer a self-pitying pathetic mess

Jesus f**k, man. Glad you're feeling more stable.

The World Cup's coming - distract yourself with your adopted countrymen swording England and Wales!

I watched almost the entirety of the 2002 World Cup on Spanish language channels like Univision, as I'd have needed to pay extra for the channels that were showing it in English (and listen to terms like "offence" and "goaltender"). Despite not understanding a word of the language, I found the Mexican commentators to be more knowledgeable and entertaining than most I've heard on ESPN, Sky, or the BBC.

Also, never underestimate how much a loud Mexican chap screaming "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL! GOL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOOOOOOL!" can liven up the dullest of matches.

"VAR checking....decision.....offside"

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOS.

57 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Arrived on holidays yesterday and time difference has fucked me a wee bit. Currently 6am and sitting wide awake scudding a couple of Red Stripes out the all inclusive mini bar. 

SOunds like a normal holiday thus far tbf.

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

I watched almost the entirety of the 2002 World Cup on Spanish language channels like Univision, as I'd have needed to pay extra for the channels that were showing it in English (and listen to terms like "offence" and "goaltender"). Despite not understanding a word of the language, I found the Mexican commentators to be more knowledgeable and entertaining than most I've heard on ESPN, Sky, or the BBC.

Also, never underestimate how much a loud Mexican chap screaming "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL! GOL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOOOOOOL!" can liven up the dullest of matches.

You’re not wrong. Something about the passion and excitement a lot of the commentators put into the call of the game is missing from most of the robots we in ‘Murica and the UK pay to call games. Conversely, the local lads doing commentary for Bumf**k F.C. can be hilariously fun to listen to, even if some take it too far. Most paid, “English Speaking” commentators sound like they either are green side at the Open or just took a dozen sleeping pills. 

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You’re not wrong. Something about the passion and excitement a lot of the commentators put into the call of the game is missing from most of the robots we in ‘Murica and the UK pay to call games. Conversely, the local lads doing commentary for Bumf**k F.C. can be hilariously fun to listen to, even if some take it too far. Most paid, “English Speaking” commentators sound like they either are green side at the Open or just took a dozen sleeping pills. 

"Whit's the goalie daein', Tam...?"