Reasons to be Cheerful

People have been saying that for about as long as I've been alive!
The thing I find oddest about smoking cigarettes is that it really does just seem to be a thing people do because they're addicted. Nobody really enjoys it, do they? It's just the relief from the cravings that's pleasant. Most other mainstream addictions (caffeine, alcohol), people also seem to enjoy the taste of whatever they're imbibing, at least.
Many years ago at Easter Road there was a large hoarding which carried a simple, straightforward message - "If You Smoke, You Smell".........

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Well, you would, wouldn't you?  :rolleyes:

I think it's a myth that non smokers tell themselves. I much prefer specific brands in the same way as I like particular food.

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

Try and find a copy of an Alan Carr(not the toothy comic) book on stopping smoking.  Knocks the 'I enjoy it' thing on the head quite convincingly. 

I've read it. I know it helps people stop smoking and it's to be congratulated for it, but much of it is bollocks.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's a myth that non smokers tell themselves. I much prefer specific brands in the same way as I like particular food.

More like a myth (or truth) that smokers like to tell non-smokers, in my experience.

The thing I find oddest about smoking cigarettes is that it really does just seem to be a thing people do because they're addicted. Nobody really enjoys it, do they? It's just the relief from the cravings that's pleasant. Most other mainstream addictions (caffeine, alcohol), people also seem to enjoy the taste of whatever they're imbibing, at least.

I have the odd cigar and find them to be really nice. I've never had a draw of a cigarette so no idea if it's the same, mind you.

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I could easily go a tab right now even though I haven’t had one for probably 5 years or so.

I think it’s about 7 years for me and the smell of it turns my stomach now. Couldn’t smoke one if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me a lot I would actually. 

On 19/03/2022 at 07:07, BFTD said:

Raises hand. I enjoyed smoking, I really did. I gave up multiple times but never for very long because while I knew it was unhealthy, smelly, anti-social, expensive and all the rest, I always started again because so help me doG, I loved everything about it.

If you haven't seen it before, Bebe Glaser from 'Frasier' explains it all here.

I finally quit when I married an asthmatic* and even though it's been almost 30 years, I still miss it.

*not one of cinema's best sequels.

26 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Weather looks great Tuesday, I am self employed so decided to f**k off to Glencoe for a day skiing tomorrow.

Lifes no bad.

Worst sunburn I ever had was when I went skiing on a sunny day. The rays apparently bounced off the snow and into my face so I got a double whammy.