Reasons to be Cheerful

On 15/01/2022 at 09:33, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I reckon I've about 5 years until dignity requires me to get the head shaved or pay up for a trip to Turkey. Fortunately lockdown 1 confirmed I actually look pretty good with a shaved head. 

I have a mate who has had a "Boyle" done twice - its thinning again, he may as well go for the skinheed look, no sure hes going to drop more ££££ on a lost cause.

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Had laser eye surgery done this morning. No more specs for me 😃

This is an issue for me. When I was a student I went to a talk by an ophthalmologist and in that he showed a video of laser eye surgery he had performed. 

Then he went on to show how he used protective contact lenses on burns victims who had their eyes damaged/burst by fire. All with pictures and videos.

The talk was at 11am - I skipped lunch that day. Ever since the thought of laser eye surgery has given me the heebie jeebies. Feel a bit ill even now, 18 years on, thinking about it.

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This is an issue for me. When I was a student I went to a talk by an ophthalmologist and in that he showed a video of laser eye surgery he had performed. 

Then he went on to show how he used protective contact lenses on burns victims who had their eyes damaged/burst by fire. All with pictures and videos.

The talk was at 11am - I skipped lunch that day. Ever since the thought of laser eye surgery has given me the heebie jeebies. Feel a bit ill even now, 18 years on, thinking about it.

I think you've misunderstood - I don't think die hard doonhamer was the surgeon, he was the patient

55 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think you've misunderstood - I don't think die hard doonhamer was the surgeon, he was the patient

I know - but whenever I hear it mentioned I get flashbacks to that video of the laser blasting a trench in the eye, moving ever closer to the centre....

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I know - but whenever I hear it mentioned I get flashbacks to that video of the laser blasting a trench in the eye, moving ever closer to the centre....

Similarly, my mum had a second job as an auxiliary nurse for a while, and did a couple of shifts in a private eye hospital. She came back with enough horror stories about contact lenses that I still recoil whenever the optician asks if I've ever considered switching to them.

Meeting up tomorrow with my best friend from primary school to play Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64

We used to have a mate that was shit hot at that game. We would play the split screen and he would just know exactly where you were and all the wee hiding places.

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

giphy.gif

For me,  it was the burning smell which I assume was the eye tissue being burnt by the laser.   You can add that to your memory bank to complement the video you watched - enjoy!

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

For me,  it was the burning smell which I assume was the eye tissue being burnt by the laser.   You can add that to your memory bank to complement the video you watched - enjoy!

The burning smell was very intense. However, it’s not your eyes, that’s just the smell of the laser firing. 

This season, for the first time in about a decade, I couldn't afford a season ticket. Alright, this has been a shit season, but still.

Just discovered that I'm going to be about £150 a month better off from February, so I'll be back to watch us battle against relegation from League Two next season. Where are those Harry Redknapp gifs when you need them?

30 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Managed to cop two Saturday night tickets to see Stewart Lee at the Lowry for his two new shows after it being sold out no hope for months. Superb stuff from him even if Stewart Lee has really let himself go. 

Booked up for Aberdeen in June, hoping his act isn't stale by then.

Booked up for Aberdeen in June, hoping his act isn't stale by then.

Wouldn’t say he’s stale at all even if he’s visibly showing his age. Didn’t know he was deaf either.

His one bit of proper audience participation went wrong and he recovered really well and used it to tie in great. There are two bits on Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais that go on far too long though.