Reasons to be Cheerful

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Got offered a job today and couldn't be more delighted. It's not a dream job but I'll get qualifications out of it, the money's pretty good and will only get better, and most importantly I'll (touch wood) never have to work in a call centre again.

Honestly it's such a relief, been back in Scotland almost 18 months and apart from getting the job I'm in (which I appreciate I'm lucky to have at the moment) I've had no luck despite applying to a lot of stuff more in line with what I'd done before. Especially with everything going on I've been really worried, as I'm getting to the end of the point where my degree is all that relevant.

Big issue now is start date will be end of August/start of September, so maintaining any sort of motivation until the big f**k you notice-handing-in will be tricky

Great company to work for. Editing or selling?

I live across the road from a pitch, a football ended up in the front garden there. Went out and chucked it back over for the kids playing, got a couple of thank you's and "woah what a throw!" from flinging it over the fence for them. Feels good man.

As I  type this I can see from my window they've managed to get it back over the fence already. 😐

5 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I live across the road from a pitch, a football ended up in the front garden there. Went out and chucked it back over for the kids playing, got a couple of thank you's and "woah what a throw!" from flinging it over the fence for them. Feels good man.

As I  type this I can see from my window they've managed to get it back over the fence already. 😐

Ah, memories.

When I was  starting out on my quest to Captain Scotland in their first World Cup win*; our pitch extended from Mr. and Mrs. Chaplow's front gate to Mr. and Mrs. Wilkinson's driveway, about 30 yards further up the street. The touchlines were the garden walls, the pavement was part of the playing surface and parked cars were simply occasional hazards. As were sisters and wee kids. And yes, we used jumpers for goalposts. I usually played on the same team as Bobbie Charlton and George Best, while our opposition typically included Pele, Gordon Banks and also, George Best. Despite our phenomenal footballing skills; we lived in fear of the ball going into Mrs. Whitehead's front garden. Not only was she a well-known witch who ate children, she would yell through her front window that she would burst the ball if it came in her garden again. It was a job for the bravest laddies (ie not me) to go on that retrieval mission. 

* A quest which is, at time of writing, still incomplete.

Day in the house, so retro games day [emoji16][emoji452]
IMG_20200613_094235.thumb.jpg.df496fec6fe184e14d550ea5d4bd16f9.jpg
That was the first football game I played. I mind my dad used to always go Algeria and I often wondered why he picked a side that was so shit. As he used to beat me I assumed he knew some secret tactics or whatever. It wasn't until I was older and went back to the game for some nostalgia that I realised Algeria was the first side that came up in the options. You can tell he was right into it [emoji38]

My brother in law has just dropped off a bag of fash.  About 20 prawns, a medium sized lobster (that he "sorted" for me so i could freeze it), a decent sized monkfish tail and a nice mackerel.

Bings of omega 3 and tasty teas this week  🐟  👍

As I  type this I can see from my window they've managed to get it back over the fence already. [emoji52]
I can narrow your identity down to you not being ryan scully

47 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

My brother in law has just dropped off a bag of fash.  About 20 prawns, a medium sized lobster (that he "sorted" for me so i could freeze it), a decent sized monkfish tail and a nice mackerel.

Bings of omega 3 and tasty teas this week  🐟  👍

giphy.gif

44 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I was on holiday and on a walk, when I passed the hotel staff who were off duty having a game of volleyball. One of them thumped it out the game and it came bouncing over to me. I headed it straight up in the air then volleyed it on its way down straight into the middle of them and they all clapped, I felt like Zidane for a minute. A display of skill never to be repeated.

I was in Estonia and happened to be walking past a team training on some public ground (Turned out to be Tartu Tammeka) and the ball broke to me. I broke step in order to kick it back over but there was a tree in the way. Nae bother tho' as my wand of a right foot would ping it round that tree like Pirlo dinking it round a defensive wall. Three seconds later I was apologising for smacking their ball off a tree and it rebounding into the river.

On 14/06/2020 at 15:50, Thistle_do_nicely said:

We sometimes get them in the back garden. The bloody dog bursts them on sight. Makes me feel like a Victor Meldrew that they can't get the ball back as it's now an empty sack. 

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I was in Estonia and happened to be walking past a team training on some public ground (Turned out to be Tartu Tammeka) and the ball broke to me. I broke step in order to kick it back over but there was a tree in the way. Nae bother tho' as my wand of a right foot would ping it round that tree like Pirlo dinking it round a defensive wall. Three seconds later I was apologising for smacking their ball off a tree and it rebounding into the river.

How can you live with yourelf?

At 7s a while back, I ran to get a ball that had gone out quite near the perimiter fence. Rather than stop, pick it up or draw it back with my foot, I decided to kick it at the fence and catch the rebound. There was some old goal parts on the ground. My attempt hit one, flew upwards and over the fence, down the hill into the car park. 

At Somerset Park I was walking back to behind the goals from the burger van - pie in one hand, Bovril in the other when a ball from the Falkirk player's shooting in came straight at me. Without breaking stride I volleyed it back and it went straight through the gap between the roof and a support bar - beautiful. I only suffered third degree burns from the Bovril spilling over my arm. 

Is Ayr United's Somerset Park fit for the Premiership? The rules ...

On 13/06/2020 at 09:59, philpy said:

Day in the house, so retro games day 😁🎮

IMG_20200613_094235.jpg

KindPowerfulBovine-size_restricted.gif

I remember the original FIFA International Soccer being good fun, and completely different to all the later games. Sonic, however, has always been utter dugshite.

19 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

At Somerset Park I was walking back to behind the goals from the burger van - pie in one hand, Bovril in the other when a ball from the Falkirk player's shooting in came straight at me. Without breaking stride I volleyed it back and it went straight through the gap between the roof and a support bar - beautiful. I only suffered third degree burns from the Bovril spilling over my arm. 

Is Ayr United's Somerset Park fit for the Premiership? The rules ...

Twice, once at Shotts the other at Kilsyth. Both almost identical. An aimless ball floats out on to the terracing. I've managed to cushion the volleyed return straight to the player about to take the throw.

No cameras, combined crowds less then 3 figures.