Reasons to be Cheerful

Guest Moomintroll
Seeing as its the Sabbath and I'm slightly hungover I have been doing a bit or research, not many of the chaps who received the VC went on to live long prosperous lives.   Also the jealousy and bad mouthing both officers received in later years from envious seniors was incredible.
Have read a few books about Rorkes Drift and the Zulu Wars & I had somehow never noticed that Bourne didn't get a VC. He did end up being a Lieutenant Colonel & was awarded the OBE, so as you rightly say, he fared much better than those who did.

Guest Moomintroll
He was offered a commision but being poor he turned it down seemingly.  The rank  of L Colonel was after the Great War and was an honoury award, he received it at the same time as his OBE.
Right I need to go do some housework but this has been enjoyable.
Housework? On the Sabbath? There's football & The Masters to be watching min.

Mine is being delivered on Tuesday. Always end up like a kid on Christmas Eve when a new car is imminent.
Drove mine home on Tuesday enjoying the Autobahn. Sad thing here is there's no Halford's. Mind first time I went in after getting my first was like that childhood Toys R Us feeling.

Cracking place, enjoy. Spend as much time as you can snorkelling (apols if you already know all this!)

Cheers. I’ve been before, outstanding place. Made the mistake of spending hours snorkelling on my last day, without realising I was getting scorched. My back and back of my legs burn to a crisp, which made the 13 hour flight home unpleasant.