East Reconstruction

Fife Journeyman

With the East region due to reconstruct this summer imo it wont work as there will be far too many meaningless games with leagues of 16. I think the leagues need shortened to keep them competitive/exciting. I have listed an alternative below and it will probably be a couple of years before it can be looked at but not as complicated as seems which would keep regional football local and the better more ambitious clubs playing region wide

Super League

14 Teams everyone playing each other twice with bottom 3 relegated and 4th bottom in playoff

Lothian Division 1

10 Teams playing each other 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd in play off and 2 down.

Lothian Division 2

9 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd/3rd playoff for promotion

Fife League

12 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 16 home games. champions up 2nd in play off

Tayside Division 1

10 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd in play off. 2 down.

Tayside Division 2

10 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games . Champions up 2nd/3rd playoff

The 2nd place team in each region would play off with 4th bottom in Super over a one leg semi and final for 4th promotion place

This is based on 65 team set up and leagues could be adjusted accordingly depending on who was relegated from the Super League.

It might look complicated and could be tweaked a bit but surely this is better than 4 leagues of 16 which will be the death of the game.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will work

Your ideas are pish.

Think the main opposition to the new setup will come from Fife due to the way close neighbours from there are going to be split between the north and south feeder divisions. A possible solution to that would be to draw a fixed line (maybe midway through the Ochils, over to Cupar and the down to somewhere in the East Neuk) and accept that there can be an unbalanced number of clubs in the districts.

The new setup isn't perfect, but it's streets ahead of what it's replacing. Having a league of 15 with one promotion spot is a folly, a league of sixteen with two promotion places is vastly preferable.

As for the "problems" seen by our neighbours from Fife, Spock verbalised it better than I ever could:

"...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Wise men, those Vulcans.

Does anyone know if the new split says there must be 16 teams in each district (minimum).

Assuming there are 32 places or above.

Nobody south of Newburgh seems to know what league they will be in from fife.

Even star hearts appear to believe they are destined for the south.

Is a 14 north and 19 south (for instance) split possible ?

With the East region due to reconstruct this summer imo it wont work as there will be far too many meaningless games with leagues of 16. I think the leagues need shortened to keep them competitive/exciting. I have listed an alternative below and it will probably be a couple of years before it can be looked at but not as complicated as seems which would keep regional football local and the better more ambitious clubs playing region wide

Super League

14 Teams everyone playing each other twice with bottom 3 relegated and 4th bottom in playoff

Lothian Division 1

10 Teams playing each other 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd in play off and 2 down.

Lothian Division 2

9 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd/3rd playoff for promotion

Fife League

12 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 16 home games. champions up 2nd in play off

Tayside Division 1

10 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games. champions up 2nd in play off. 2 down.

Tayside Division 2

10 Teams playing 3 times guarentee 13 home games . Champions up 2nd/3rd playoff

The 2nd place team in each region would play off with 4th bottom in Super over a one leg semi and final for 4th promotion place

This is based on 65 team set up and leagues could be adjusted accordingly depending on who was relegated from the Super League.

It might look complicated and could be tweaked a bit but surely this is better than 4 leagues of 16 which will be the death of the game.

What a load of poop, 9 and 10 team leagues? haud me back. The new set-up is the best possible solution, unless yer a dinosaur.

Does anyone know if the new split says there must be 16 teams in each district (minimum).

Assuming there are 32 places or above.

Nobody south of Newburgh seems to know what league they will be in from fife.

Even star hearts appear to believe they are destined for the south.

Is a 14 north and 19 south (for instance) split possible ?

The new proposals were for an equal split between the new North/South Regions but I don't think anyone would mind if a bit of practicality was considered (especially as the Region seem open to admitting a new team, a move I would not have encouraged until we at least bedded this in for a season).

I think 18 team division is the max number, giving 34 games. (the South Division currently plays 28 games plus 5/6 LC games). I'd suggest any number between 14 and 18 is workable.

The new proposals were for an equal split between the new North/South Regions but I don't think anyone would mind if a bit of practicality was considered (especially as the Region seem open to admitting a new team, a move I would not have encouraged until we at least bedded this in for a season).

I think 18 team division is the max number, giving 34 games. (the South Division currently plays 28 games plus 5/6 LC games). I'd suggest any number between 14 and 18 is workable.

so im a dinosaur but you think a league of 18 and league of 14 is acceptable?.

The current set up was voted against as it was unfair on Lothians teams only getting one promotion spot

is it fair that a 14 team league has same promotion spots as 18??

so im a dinosaur but you think a league of 18 and league of 14 is acceptable?.

The current set up was voted against as it was unfair on Lothians teams only getting one promotion spot

is it fair that a 14 team league has same promotion spots as 18??

Who said there will be 14 and 18 team leagues? but yes, its acceptable, you'll never have bottom leagues with equal numbers, the trick is to balance them as fairly as you can and offer as many promotion spots as possible.

To suggest small league of 9 and 10 clubs playing three times is ludicrous, same opposition year after year after year zzzzzzzzzz, and since you mention fairness, who gets to decide who plays someone away twice but only once at home?

It may come as a surprise, but many of these ideas were looked at and rejected by the clubs as unworkable.

In the interests of keeping this respectable, if we were in the pub I'd be telling the OP that his idea was a lot of shite.

If you want to talk about being fair, where would the fairness be in allowing every Fife team to have a crack at the Super League every year whilst half of the Lothians and Tayside teams have to work their way through an extra division. That is as insidious as the structure in the West (which is fuckin bonkers) where all the Ayrshire teams play in one league but the Central League teams are stacked up in 2 larger divisions. The West should have sorted that out ages ago by splitting the region East and West on a roughly even basis.

With the East region due to reconstruct this summer imo it wont work as there will be far too many meaningless games with leagues of 16.

There are more meaningless games at the moment in all the Leagues. In the example of the East Premier you will have 3 teams chasing promotion and 4 trying to avoid relegation. The other 9 will either be in with a chance of either so it will be highly competitive. The Superleague and Regional Leagues will be less so but not to the extent than it will be any worse than now? In any size of leagues you will have teams unable to challenge or safe from the fear of relegation (Regional bottom rung anyway).

Lets see how the changes go before discussing something else first. If it doesn't work then lets debate!

No game is meaningless.

See a lot of talk about meaningless games but if you are bottom of the league with 0 points from 30 games and are 18 points behind the team above you then the next game is still meaningfull as you are looking to get as many points, goals and cleansheets as possible.

And the extra games actually replace 6 League Cup sectional fixtures which are actually training games for the teams involved. Why should we be paying full whack to watch teams not give a shiny shite as they are only building fitness. The League Cup is a waste of whatever half decent weather we might have in August (not much based on the last 2 seasons).

With fixtures running up to June 1st-8th this year is there going to be an early start under the new system? Obviously 5/6 sectional cup ties are going but they're being replaced by 8 additional league games, i.e. 2/3 more than currently for Superleague/Premier clubs. (EDIT: Or more if as suggested divisions could contain 17/18 clubs).

Archived