The Universe

I like the thing going round just now that you should take whatever Elon Musk says, then replace 'Elon Musk said' with 'My Uncle Larry said' as it injects a healthy dose of scepticism.
The only thing he's actually engineered recently is a cult of personality.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I like the thing going round just now that you should take whatever Elon Musk says, then replace 'Elon Musk said' with 'My Uncle Larry said' as it injects a healthy dose of scepticism.

I started taking what he was saying slightly less seriously when he resorted to name-calling during the Thai cave rescue saga and called yon boy a "paedo" 😂

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Jeff Bezos has unveiled a plan to help NASA land people on the moon's south pole by 2024.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/jeff-bezos-announces-star-team-blue-origins-blue-moon-lunar-lander/

Why is it a priority? What's up there? Aliens 'n whatnot?

They want to beat the Chinese

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/10/20/could-chinese-astronauts-beat-nasa-back-to-the-moo.aspx

South Pole of the Moon has water. The cost of getting a ton of anything into space is pretty big, mostly to get it past the Earths gravity and air resistance. Even with SpaceX its about $3000 per kg at the cheapest. If you have to lift the kgs of water from the Moon it takes something like 1/50th of the rocket fuel or something so much less fuel and in theory cheaper. 

Why 2024, well NASA has a mission for that year slotted for its new rocket the SLS, but only to go around the Moon. The current NASA chief reckons that by turning it into a Moon landing mission, you will only have one presidential election between now and then so both candidates will likely have to commit to such a short term project in an election and it will be much harder to kill it with the public. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_3

Bezos seems to have gotten the contract for the lander, I new they were in the running but had not kept up to date. 

22 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Why 2024, well NASA has a mission for that year slotted for its new rocket the SLS, but only to go around the Moon. The current NASA chief reckons that by turning it into a Moon landing mission, you will only have one presidential election between now and then so both candidates will likely have to commit to such a short term project in an election and it will be much harder to kill it with the public. 

The original plan was for 2028 but Trump got Pence to announce 2024 for his own reasons. There isn't a chance in hell they'll be ready by then without an Apollo style boost in funding. The SLS is years behind schedule and they haven't even awarded contracts for most of the other stuff yet. 

44 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

South Pole of the Moon has water. The cost of getting a ton of anything into space is pretty big, mostly to get it past the Earths gravity and air resistance. Even with SpaceX its about $3000 per kg at the cheapest. If you have to lift the kgs of water from the Moon it takes something like 1/50th of the rocket fuel or something so much less fuel and in theory cheaper. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_3

Bezos seems to have gotten the contract for the lander, I new they were in the running but had not kept up to date. 

What kind of water?

Why would anyone need lunar water anyway?! Unless it was for study, I can't see what use it would be.

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What kind of water?

Why would anyone need lunar water anyway?! Unless it was for study, I can't see what use it would be.

If you're going on holiday to Moonbase you're going to want a jacuzzi after spending all that money.

5 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Fuel, oxygen, drinking water, growing crops, among other things.

Ah, I get you.

You’re talking about use on the moon itself, not for taking back to Earth. I misread the previous chat and thought it was about getting such water back to our planet, which would be utterly pointless!

So the end game here seems to be colonisation of a sort, although probably more for study than actually living there (I hear it’s quite chilly!).

Lunar water would be very interesting itself to study. No telling what is in it and what kind of water it would even be! Doubtful that it would be H2O surely?