The Universe

24 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

Do you know what time (UK) this happened yesterday and if it would have been visible here? 

Splash down was 3.33 am and I think it takes about half an hour to descend through the atmosphere. This shows the trajectory of the first crew dragon to land and I expect the current one was similar, which means it would have been unlikely to be visible from here. I could well be wrong though, do you think you saw something?

one.jpg.9f13d20cf6ffc7cebfe0b440c1843f83.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Splash down was 3.33 am and I think it takes about half an hour to descend through the atmosphere. This shows the trajectory of the first crew dragon to land and I expect the current one was similar, which means it would have been unlikely to be visible from here. I could well be wrong though, do you think you saw something?

one.jpg.9f13d20cf6ffc7cebfe0b440c1843f83.jpg

Thanks for the info. No, the kids thought they saw something yesterday evening when I was driving. The day must just have been a coincidence.

1 minute ago, HenryHill said:

Thanks for the info. No, the kids thought they saw something yesterday evening when I was driving. The day must just have been a coincidence.

The space station is sometimes visible with the naked eye, and there are all these broadband satellites zooming about and occasionally burning up in the atmosphere, so it could well have been something quite exciting 

Chinese female taikonaut took a space walk on their space station the other day.

I don't know much about the Chinese space programme and it doesn't get much reported on here but it sounds interesting.

TL:DR The Chinese Communist Party: the biggest Communist Party in space.

Russia seemingly have launched a missile to blow up one of their own satellites, the debris from which has forced the space station astronauts to seriously shit themselves and get ready for evacuation. What were they thinking? Anyone can do it, it's not clever.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/11/debris-from-a-satellite-shot-down-by-the-russians-appears-to-threaten-the-iss/

FEQitF8XEAMTAWv?format=png&name=small

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...