The Universe

I've just been reading about how the XPrize came to be. The guy spent ages scraping together $5k and $10k from here and there, eventually raising half a million for the idea. He then spent all of that money on a huge launch for the prize, with the head of NASA, descendents of Charles Lindberg, and twenty astronauts under the St. Louis arch.
It was huge news all over the world but he had zero funding for it. The X in XPrize was supposed to be a placeholder for whoever ended up sponsoring it. Four years later he had been turned down by 150 CEOs and was nowhere near the $10 million he'd promised the world. Then he met the Ansari family.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Mars helicopter Ingenuity up for its first ride soon. Perhaps within 24 hours.

Also 12th of April will be Yuri's Day, 60th anniversary of the first human in space. 

Ma Bam told me she had a poster of Yuri on her wall as a student. I think she'd visited Moscow in the early 60s and got it there.

I'm sure he'd have been proud of having a street named after him in Cowdenbeath.

Just now, tamthebam said:

Ma Bam told me she had a poster of Yuri on her wall as a student. I think she'd visited Moscow in the early 60s and got it there.

I'm sure he'd have been proud of having a street named after him in Cowdenbeath.

Lumphinnans, there were a load of communists councillors on the council at the time.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Its also the 40th anniversary of the first Shuttle flight. STS 1. (Only the first couple of them had the white main tank, turns out they could save half a ton by not painting it.)

800px-Space_Shuttle_Columbia_launching.j

Remember watching it, was supposed to have been two days earlier but fortunately it got delayed til the Sunday and we could watch it live rather than be stuck in school.

Edited by Lurkst

Theoretically speaking, if an alien lived 10 light years from earth and was looking our way, that alien would see what I was doing 10 years ago as "live". If that alien took umbrage with what he saw, and decided to come here in his craft that travelled slightly faster than the speed of light to kill me, would he do so in my past? And if so, what would happen to current me?

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Theoretically speaking, if an alien lived 10 light years from earth and was looking our way, that alien would see what I was doing 10 years ago as "live". If that alien took umbrage with what he saw, and decided to come here in his craft that travelled slightly faster than the speed of light to kill me, would he do so in my past? And if so, what would happen to current me?

This scenario doesn't sound very plausible to me.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

This scenario doesn't sound very plausible to me.

Well no, but it has recently fascinated me to watch these daft videos about the size and scale of the universe, and also the fact that everything that has ever happened on earth is available to be viewed from somewhere in the universe....

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Maybe it would be more like crossing timelines. If the alien travelled here they’d maybe see your life across the years as they get closer (thus fewer light years away) and basically be up to speed by the time they arrive here at our present day.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Maybe it would be more like crossing timelines. If the alien travelled here they’d maybe see your life across the years as they get closer (thus fewer light years away) and basically be up to speed by the time they arrive here at our present day.

That is true.  Hopefully somewhere along the way they would see that Bairnardo is not such a bad lad and decide to turn back.

We will never know.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

No. You would both have something called a frame of reference. Within your frame of reference you would see the light from your actions going out in a sphere (if you could, its a thought experiment) at the speed of light. After 10 years it would arrive at Killer ETs planet. They would then head here. But they would be traveling faster than the light from when they set off. So they would arrive before you see them leave. This is where the apparent time travel would be, they would be coming towards you but everything would be like watching a film running backwards. To you they would arrive then appear to travel back in time to leave at 10 years after your action. Though in your frame of reference perhaps 19 years (if he was about 10% faster than the speed of light) will have passed. 

Edited, from your perspective they would arrive 19 years after you had performed the initiating action, then appear to be moving back in time for a year so they depart from their planet 20 years after the initial action. 

Edited by dorlomin

Personally I think Bairnardo is getting overly paranoid about all this.  Aliens from a planet 10 light years away are checking up on him and are going to do him in if he steps out of line.  Not very likely!

For a start, that some telescope they've got.  Also I can't see them going to all that bother.

In any case, my own research finds they are generally only interested in Americans that live in those nowhere places where there is not much to do and everything is black and white.  Even then the local sheriff and the local professor (or scientist) is always able to sort thing out and save the day.

Seriously  I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Personally I think Bairnardo is getting overly paranoid about all this.  Aliens from a planet 10 light years away are checking up on him and are going to do him in if he steps out of line.  Not very likely!
For a start, that some telescope they've got.  Also I can't see them going to all that bother.
In any case, my own research finds they are generally only interested in Americans that live in those nowhere places where there is not much to do and everything is black and white.  Even then the local sheriff and the local professor (or scientist) is always able to sort thing out and save the day.
Seriously  I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Dorlomjn is right. Its a thought experiment.

When I was thinking about it, the point was that everything that has ever happened is still available to be seen, somewhere in the Universe, the I got hung up on what speed the alien would have travel at to arrive on earth some time ago, that I have already lived through, and whether that would be "time travel" from the aliens perspective.

To make it easier, if the aliens had technology that allowed them to somehow wormhole to us in the space of say, a year.... so then he waits ten years to see the light arriving of me holding up a sign that says smell yer maw Marvin, takes 1 year to get here, by which time current me is 9 years further on in my life and in the present day. What happens to present me if he kills me 9 years ago

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dorlomjn is right. Its a thought experiment.

When I was thinking about it, the point was that everything that has ever happened is still available to be seen, somewhere in the Universe, the I got hung up on what speed the alien would have travel at to arrive on earth some time ago, that I have already lived through, and whether that would be "time travel" from the aliens perspective.

To make it easier, if the aliens had technology that allowed them to somehow wormhole to us in the space of say, a year.... so then he waits ten years to see the light arriving of me holding up a sign that says smell yer maw Marvin, takes 1 year to get here, by which time current me is 9 years further on in my life and in the present day. What happens to present me if he kills me 9 years ago

If he steps through a wormhole there is no time travel involved.  I am surprised you don't already know that.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If you hold up a sign saying "smell yer maw" in April 2021 at Marvin 10 light years away. It takes the light 10 years for Marvin to see it, 2031. He then worm holes to get to Earth in 2032. 

But the light from Marvin world from April 2011 arrives in 2021. So you hold up your sign at him 10 years ago. That light from 2011 to 2021 arrives and you can see him sauntering around Marvin world, unbothered other than overly nosey at you from 2021 to 2031 (you are seeing him from 2011 to 2021). 2031 you see him as you hold up the sign in 2021, its tend years before the light of him reacting gets back. A 20 year turn around. On his world he is now in his worm hole coming here for 2032. But you still see him wandering around his world unknown he has been insulted. 

2032 he arrives, you see him still on Marvin world in 2022, that Marvin is 9 years away from being insulted. You have two Marvins. The one on Earth and the one whos light on Marvin world is 10 years old. So in 2041, the dead you cannot see but now finally we see him board his worm hole. 

He kills you but it takes 9 more years for the light from him leaving to reach Earth. 

We are so used to thinking something is instantaneous when we see it. But Marvin needs 10 years to see your sign and you need another 10 years to see him seeing it. 

No one travels backwards in time it just takes you decades to see space people reacting to what you are doing. 

Edited by dorlomin