The Universe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Somebody here will Shirley know:

Was it Mars that was the obvious red light lowish in the eastern sky yesterday evening?  Very often see this in a similar place whilst driving SE on a dark Sunday night, but I get the feeling that the atmosphere would have been particularly bright last night seeing as I was also watching the sun go down in the west.

There was also a very bright white one towards the south which I presumed was Venus? (with a more discrete white star left-and-up from it).  

Was it Mars that was the obvious red light lowish in the eastern sky yesterday evening?  Very often see this in a similar place whilst driving SE on a dark Sunday night, but I get the feeling that the atmosphere would have been particularly bright last night seeing as I was also watching the sun go down in the west.
There was also a very bright white one towards the south which I presumed was Venus? (with a more discrete white star left-and-up from it).  

According to timeanddate.com

IMG_1590.jpg

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

According to timeanddate.com

IMG_1590.jpg

Cheers.

Venus shall set by 17:30ish this evening (and won't pop back up til 03:00ish) so I seriously doubt that it would have been the beaming bright light relatively high in the southern sky yesterday evening.

Hmmmmm...

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Was it Mars that was the obvious red light lowish in the eastern sky yesterday evening?

Traffic light.

Street light.

HTH

Red light to east was definitely Mars. It’s at it’s closest point to us in about 15 years.

The bright spot to the south is Jupiter and the dimmer spot to the left is Saturn. Been staring at them for the last 2-3 months.

26 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Red light to east was definitely Mars. It’s at it’s closest point to us in about 15 years.

The bright spot to the south is Jupiter and the dimmer spot to the left is Saturn. Been staring at them for the last 2-3 months.

Sweet, cheers.  Little did I know I would see deer, ducks, rats, a buzzard, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn during one short walk.

Had a look at them through some binoculars I had in the car and Mars just looked like somebody frantically waving a laser pointer around in the sky (due to my inability to hold them perfectly still).  Should have a decent view of all three again from my bedroom window, presuming the clouds stay away.

37 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Deffo Jupiter as Hamish P says. Was looking at it through the binoculars the other night. It was conveniently positioned just above the Susie across the road's bedroom window. 

Use a tripod. Free your hands. 

Go on register. 

1 hour ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Maybe take a break. What have your work said?