The Universe

The NASA link below is to Boris Chertok’s fascinating 4 volume work “Rockets and People” on the history of Soviet rocketry from it’s earliest days .

Chertok was one of Korolev’s main collaborators at OKB-1, I read these books a few years ago and are well worth the time.

https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/rockets_people_vol1_detail.html

Good chance to see the Starlink 2 train pass overhead tonight between 5 - 7 pm depending on where in the UK you are.

For my flat in London the best time will be about 6.45 pm when I should see a good 20 or so objects flying past. 

For a random spot in Glasgow it will be about 5.30 pm. But multiple opportunities throughout the evening.

Click here: https://www.heavens-above.com/SelectLocation.aspx?lat=55.8537&lng=-4.2352&loc=Unnamed&alt=0&tz=GMT to set your location, then

Click here: https://www.heavens-above.com/AllPassesFromLaunch.aspx to see when to look up.

Not sure if this has been posted before. An interesting watch and an interesting guy.

PS - the link to the thread is the bit about the universe being a circulating highway.

Edited by sjc

On 15/01/2020 at 11:55, MixuFixit said:

I didn't know but red dwarfs lifetime is about 10x as long as a sun type star. We should all move to proxima centauri which should buy us enough time to figure out what we're supposed to do.

Brian Cox just told me me we should be safe for up to a hundred trillion years if we dress up warmly. Then we'd have to figure out how to cross into the multiverse. Good to have a plan though, and how lucky to have a red dwarf so close by! I'll work on nicking a Falcon Heavy if you can work on turning an asteroid into a generational spaceship with telly, football and decent food etc. 

SpaceX to try tomorrow to launch their Falcon 9\Dragon capsule abort test. Should be a great watch. 

Rumours they may try for a human flight to the ISS by March. NASA seem to want a couple of parachute tests before they green light the human flight but it seems the US may soon be putting people back in space. 

13 hours ago, dorlomin said:

SpaceX to try tomorrow to launch their Falcon 9\Dragon capsule abort test. Should be a great watch. 

Early weather reports indicate it could be early in the 1pm - 7pm window this afternoon. They had to postpone from yesterday because of rough seas and wind in the recovery area for Dragon. Worth remembering that the Russians had to do this for real with Soyuz in 2018, worked perfectly.