The Universe

I for one am hoping that P&B's resident astrophyisisist (currently banned) Professor Brian Cock aka Paulo Sergio makes an impromptu appearance on this thread....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Surely i can't be the only one on here who just loves staring at the stars.

I do it all the same. Walking home from work sometimes I just find myself stood in the pavement just staring up. Remarkable sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The best part about it is the scale of it. There are times I've sat down and just thought about it and it's really impossible to try and get your head around.

There is so much there that we'll never know or understand.

I genuinely can't understand why people don't accept that somewhere out there, the chances of there being other planets which have the ideal conditions to promote other intelligent life forms are great. They generally have no idea just how many possible eventualities there are in the universe. And it's difficult trying to explain to them why they should keep an open mind that it's possible, even probable. Even if we never find them.

They best analogy I've heard is that if you take a body the size of Earth to represent the Universe and your house to be Earth, then what we've observed in our universe to this date wouldn't even stretch to our own back garden.

The best part about it is the scale of it. There are times I've sat down and just thought about it and it's really impossible to try and get your head around.

There is so much there that we'll never know or understand.

I genuinely can't understand why people don't accept that somewhere out there, the chances of there being other planets which have the ideal conditions to promote other intelligent life forms are great. They generally have no idea just how many possible eventualities there are in the universe. And it's difficult trying to explain to them why they should keep an open mind that it's possible, even probable. Even if we never find them.

They best analogy I've heard is that if you take a body the size of Earth to represent the Universe and your house to be Earth, then what we've observed in our universe to this date wouldn't even stretch to our own back garden.

The surest sign that intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the Solar system is the fact they've never bothered to get in touch!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I was interested in space when I was a kid and even got to see Halley's Comet through a telescope (hoping to live long enough to see it on it's return in 50 years from now but I think a diet of football pies will dash that hope)

It's hard to see a really starry sky these days, too much light pollution from big cities even taking into account the rotten weather.

Anyway here's a picture of the moon I took tonight:

post-12982-0-82080700-1369438239_thumb.j

On the drive home from Ardrossan to Killie tonight I was astounded by the beauty of the full moon shining down on the bay when driving into Saltcoats. I wish I'd been able to stop and take a photo because it was just tremendous.

When it's the height of summer I love nothing more than to just lie down on the grass in my back garden and watch the cosmos above. Makes me feel totally insignificant in the grander scheme of things, and I actually quite like being reminded of that sometimes.

the thing that confuzzles me, is when they get a big hooring telescope and say it can see back to stars that were there near the beginning of the universe, well wtf is there now? it could all be dead now, bit like a plant that grows and dies and then another seed grows into a plant, the actual living part of the universe might be quite small? or am I talking shite as usual?

the thing that confuzzles me, is when they get a big hooring telescope and say it can see back to stars that were there near the beginning of the universe, well wtf is there now? it could all be dead now, bit like a plant that grows and dies and then another seed grows into a plant, the actual living part of the universe might be quite small? or am I talking shite as usual?

It's a bit like when you visited some place when you were wee, then go back and visit again as an adult and Stewart Milne has built shite all over the place.

I've been very lucky and lived in some of the least light-polluted areas of Scotland and the night sky is jusr, just amazing.

The thing that always gets me is that I'm looking at a picture of time in all it's majesty. In just one wee spot there is history from some many different times, some stars I'm seeing are probably no longer there.................and some could be millions of years younger than the one that looks "right next" to it.

I love the sky!

Not sure about cowboy's thoughts. Is the universe still continually expanding, or is it like a massive fart and the centre is now null space (or non smelly to continue the fart idea)?

It's the biggest thing in the, well, universe, so let's fucking discuss it.

I'm an utter space geek and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

What things about the cosmos do you particularly dig, fellow forummers?

I love the sheer mind blowing scale of it. I love it's extremities, such as Gamma ray bursts, supernovae, Pulsars, Neutron stars, hot Jupiters, the lot.

Share your love of space, chums.

Pele and Beckenbauer.

Edited by ayrmad

Space ie magnificent, mysterious and mind blowing,i can never understand people who couldn't care less about it,it is what we are.Some of the telescope images are awesome,just wish we knew more about what's out there than we currently do,Would like to come back in a thousand years to see if we are space traveling on a BIG scale,surely must happen,that's if the human race hasn't destroyed itself by then of course

Dark matter rules :)

Who knows what's there now? When you look into the sky you're always looking at history. Even when you look at the sun, you're seeing it as it was 8 minutes ago, so when you look at the night sky, there's a good chance a few of them have went supernova, but the light from that event just hasn't reached us yet.

The scale of it totally baffles me. Take lightspeed for example. 186,000 miles a second. To put that into context, light could travel round the Earth 7 times in one second. Now just think for a second how fucking fast that is. Then think on the fact that, going at that speed, it would take over FOUR YEARS to get to the nearest star to our sun. Baffling.

About the more stars in our galaxy than grain of sands on Earth, that's true. There's also more GALAXIES in the observable universe than there are grains of sand on Earth.

Since this post has been rather serious, here's a pleasing picture of Jessica Jane Clement:

jessica_jane_clement_nuts_out.jpg