The Universe

1e+28

according to Google Calculator. So I'd imagine it's a fucking enormous number.

So no, then.

"

Consider printing the digits of a googolplex in unreadable, one-point font (0.353 mm per digit). It would take about 3.5×1096 metres to write a googolplex in one-point font. The observable universe is estimated to be 8.80×1026 metres, or 93 billion light-years, in diameter,[2] so the distance required to write the necessary zeroes is 4.0×1069 times as long as the estimated universe.

The time it would take to write such a number also renders the task implausible: if a person can write two digits per second, it would take around about 1.51×1092 years, which is about 1.1×1082 times the age of the universe, to write a googolplex."

:)

Point taken :) Still pretty impressive numbers, tbf.

Is it as big as a googolplex?

No, a googolplex is very big indeed. According to my friend Wikipedia:

If the entire volume of the observable universe (taken to be 3 × 1080 m3) were packed solid with fine dust particles about 1.5 micrometres in size, then the number of different ways of ordering these particles (that is, assigning the number 1 to one particle, then the number 2 to another particle, and so on until all particles are numbered) would be approximately one googolplex.

So no, then.

"

Consider printing the digits of a googolplex in unreadable, one-point font (0.353 mm per digit). It would take about 3.5×1096 metres to write a googolplex in one-point font. The observable universe is estimated to be 8.80×1026 metres, or 93 billion light-years, in diameter,[2] so the distance required to write the necessary zeroes is 4.0×1069 times as long as the estimated universe.

The time it would take to write such a number also renders the task implausible: if a person can write two digits per second, it would take around about 1.51×1092 years, which is about 1.1×1082 times the age of the universe, to write a googolplex."

:)

Haha, we were on the same page at the same time. 8)

They began with postulating an average size for a grain of sand and by calculating the number of sand grains in a teaspoon. Then the number of beaches and deserts in the world were factored in. Multiplied all together, the number is staggering. Since you aren't likely to own a calculator with enough digits to represent the result, here it is in shorthand: 7.5 x 1018 grains of sand. In simpler, though equally as incomprehensible terms, that is 7 quintillion, 500 quadrillion grains. Or in terms simpler still: a lot.

what about all the grains of sand under the oceans?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-physics-complications-lend-support-to-multiverse-hypothesis

Interesting article I just read about the LHC, the multiverse theory and general musings about the universe in general.

Don't want this thread to die...

Then keep it alive brother!!! I'm more than happy to keep answering any cosmos related questions with my own brand of 95% accurate fun!

...the comparison about grains of sand and the universe is that there are as many stars in the known universe as there are grains of sand on Earth. There are thought to be roughly 250 billion stars in the Milky Way - this many grains of sand would only fill a space as big as a large house.

You're that guy in Local Hero that lives in a shack on the beach, aren't you?

what about all the grains of sand under the oceans?

There's not nearly as much sand under the ocean as you probably think there is. It's mostly mud and silt in the deep ocean as the sand is sourced from the continents and doesn't get out that far because it's heavier, hence less easy to suspend in water.

Most marine sand's found along the landward edge of the shallow ocean shelf in the form of beaches and the zone up to ~5km offshore as a rule of thumb. Deep water fans along the shelf - abyssal plain margins are the main exception.

Edited by Hedgecutter

You're that guy in Local Hero that lives in a shack on the beach, aren't you?

Aye. I like to visualise large numbers of things by working out how big that number of things would actually be if they were all in the same place. For a quiz at work I once calculated how many Wembley stadiums would be needed to fit every person on Earth, assuming they were efficiently packed.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-physics-complications-lend-support-to-multiverse-hypothesis

Interesting article I just read about the LHC, the multiverse theory and general musings about the universe in general.

Don't want this thread to die...

Interesting read, although you can see it's American when the first slew of comments is all about God.

Aye. I like to visualise large numbers of things by working out how big that number of things would actually be if they were all in the same place. For a quiz at work I once calculated how many Wembley stadiums would be needed to fit every person on Earth, assuming they were efficiently packed.

On this topic, you could comfortably fit every single person on planet Earth into a cube with sides measuring just 1 kilometre.

Apologies if it has already been mentioned, but BBC4 are showing a documentary about Voyager (not the Star Trek spin-off) this evening at 9.

Green dot for that, you handsome b*****d. I shall text the Mrs to Skyplus that frigger tout-suite.

The religious morons say that god created the universe. They also assert that god made the Earth in 7 days. How long would it have taken him to make a bigger planet like Jupiter?

How long would it have taken to make our solar system?

Our galaxy?

The universe?

There is no number big enough for the amount of time surely. And it would older than the universe itself.

The religious morons say that god created the universe. They also assert that god made the Earth in 7 days. How long would it have taken him to make a bigger planet like Jupiter?

How long would it have taken to make our solar system?

Our galaxy?

The universe?

There is no number big enough for the amount of time surely. And it would older than the universe itself.

You can fit about 1400 Earths inside Jupiter. So if the big fella made Earth in 7 days, it would take almost 27 years to get Jupiter up and running.

Our solar system is about 4.5 billion years old. The Milky Way is, as measured by the oldest star in it, about 13.2 billion years old, nearly as old as the Universe itsself at around 13.7 billion years old.

Give or take a fortnight.

I'm certainly not defending their batshitcraziness but the God botherers believe it was the second day.

Light and Dark first, Earth next, then the Universe, then something about crafting waters or along those lines and by the 7th the poor lad was tuckered out and just let us go for it.

I think birds and fish get a special mention, too.

Aren't there still being planets still being created? As the Universe is ever expanding, maybe that's why no-one ever hears from god any more.

As long as there are stars being created, which there are, there will be moons, planets, etc etc.

Stellar nurseries are great places, tbf.