The Universe

Afternoon friggers!!

Whats that? Another fact you say?

Ok then.. How about the pressure at the centre of Jupiter? Think of 100 elephants standing on top of each other with the bottom elephant standing on one foot – on a stiletto heel...

More fun space facts to come, P&Bers!

:)

i seen something online once mate, about the theory that there is only limited energy available in the universe and as it keeps expanding it will come a time where there isnt enough energy to do anything and that the universe will simply be a big black void with nothing in it

wouldnt that be fucking wild lol

i seen something online once mate, about the theory that there is only limited energy available in the universe and as it keeps expanding it will come a time where there isnt enough energy to do anything and that the universe will simply be a big black void with nothing in it

Those are the laws of thermodynamics; energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that all energy aims for thermodynamic equilibrium - or the process we call entropy.

Those are the laws of thermodynamics; energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that all energy aims for thermodynamic equilibrium - or the process we call entropy.

thats the word i couldnt mind lol

i'll be honest and admit that it was a theory used in a fan written 3rd season of Stargate Universe, they used entropy as a plotline and it was very intriguing

I would like to learn more about Venus please?

Another fact if you wouldn't mind Confidi...

Why certainly, Adlington:

If you were able to stand on the surface of Venus it would feel like being 1 kilometre under the sea on Earth, a depth deep enough to sink a submarine. A person or a creature would immediately be crushed by Venus' amazingly strong pressure. This pressure is so high, that when the Venera spacecrafts landed, they only had a few moments to take data before they were crushed and melted.

Venus is the only planet in the Solar System to turn clockwise. All other planets turn anti-clockwise.

That would be heat death...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Edited by Confidemus

I have a theory that the universe has, and always will do, followed a process whereby it expands until it can't expand anymore, by dint of having used all of it's energy, at which point it begins to contract until everything reaches the same point, at which point the big bang happens and the whole process starts all over.

This has zero scientific basis; it's just something I thought about.

Also we seem to see space in a quite rigid, 2D manner. Folk think that Mars and Venus are to either side of us, yet what is below or above us in the galaxy?

Earth is the only planet to have life as it isn't too far away or too close to the sun to have water in liquid form. With all the stars out there, it's impossible surely that there isn't another planet that isn't too close or too far away from it's star to support liquid water and thus life. And have the right kind of star as well of course.

Edited by DA Baracus

Also we seem to see space in a quite rigid, 2D manner. Folk think that Mars and Venus are to either side of us, yet what is below or above us in the galaxy?

Earth is the only planet to have life as it isn't too far away or too close to the sun to have water in liquid form. With all the stars out there, it's impossible surely that there isn't another planet that isn't too close or too far away from it's star to support liquid water and thus life. And have the right kind of star as well of course.

On your first point, the galaxy is relatively "flat". Just as all the planet in the solar system are gravitationally tied to the Sun and follow a set path round it, so the solar system is tied to the centre of the milky way and also follows a fairly linear path around the galaxy.

Each solar system has a "goldilocks zone" or habitable zone which varies depending upon the type of star... There's a zone which is not too far away for liquid water to freeze into ice and not too close for it to be melted away into vapour. The astronomer Frank Drake invented the Drake Equation, which is a formula to attempt to work out how many technological civilisations are "out there":

http://www.seti.org/drakeequation

I can't get enough facts on here.

C'mon Confidi,

No probs, Adders.

The most massive star know is the poetically named R136a1, a Wolf-Rayet star in the Tarantula nebula.

It has an estimated 265 times the mass of the sun and shines 8.7 MILLION times brighter...

However, the largest know star in terms of volume is NML Cygni, whose radius is 1,650 times that of the Sun's.

Edited by Confidemus

No probs, Adders.

The most massive star know is the poetically named R136a1, a Wolf-Rayet star in the Tarantula nebula.

It has an estimated 265 times the mass of the sun and shines 8.7 MILLION times brighter...

However, the largest know star in terms of volume is NML Cygni, whose radius is 1,650 times that of the Sun's.

Space is just so...big.

Space is just so...big.

Latest estimate is 150 billion light years,, and growing.

Just think of that, Adlington.

Travelling at 186,000 miles a second for 150 billion years. THAT big,

:blink:

Latest estimate is 150 billion light years,, and growing.

Just think of that, Adlington.

Travelling at 186,000 miles a second for 150 billion years. THAT big,

:blink:

That's nearly as big as S Club 7's hit record, 'Don't Stop Movin'

if the universe is only 14 billion years old, how can it be 150 billion light years across?

The Universe is expanding at an accelerated rate. That's basically it.

Genuinely thinking of applying to go live in Mars for the rest of my life.

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Sounds alright, but I wouldn't want to be one of the first people to go. I'd rather leave it a few years till they've sorted the toilet arrangements out and opened a Gregg's, a chippie and a few pubs. You know, civilisation.