The Universe

This geezer has excellent coverage. Started out streaming from his laptop but now has a fully kitted out broadcast van and must be pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment at every launch. Also gets stung from time to time with fake names when reading out his comments, which is wonderful banter. Ice Wallow Come being a recent example.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Impressive - but looks like something Victorian out of a Jules Verne story - made out of iron and riveted together. 

The Forth Rail Bridge is still standing after 130 years. The Forth Road Bridge needed closing after 50.

I'll take Victorian iron and rivets technology in space anytime 

Imagine being in the crew room about an hour before launch (not sure), and your boss says "No biggy, but we've got a bit of a hydrogen leak going on below that thing, probably just a few nuts need tightening, are you up for it?".

On 23/11/2022 at 18:56, welshbairn said:

Imagine being in the crew room about an hour before launch (not sure), and your boss says "No biggy, but we've got a bit of a hydrogen leak going on below that thing, probably just a few nuts need tightening, are you up for it?".

American Astronaut: "That's no problem, sir" *Salutes Flag*

UK Astronaut: "I've got a bit of a gas leak going on below myself and my nuts have tightened too"

On 24/11/2022 at 05:56, welshbairn said:

IIRC Neil Armstrong quote

"I am sitting on top of the biggest rocket in the world built by the contractor who put in the lowest bid."

There’s been little cloud these last few nights and I’ve found myself staring up at the stars while walking the dog.  Got one of those sky tracker apps that tells you what you are looking at.  Turns out that big red thing wasn’t mars after all.

Next step is a telescope.  Watched a few videos and one that is recommended is the size of an artillery gun.  I want one that I can bung in a wardrobe when not in use that will give me a decent view of the night skies.