The Universe

• 2 weeks later...

Second Lunar tourism mission announced. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/10/spacex-announces-a-second-private-flight-to-the-moon-aboard-starship/

This is a cis lunar flyby not a landing. 

It will follow the  Yusaku Maezawa's "dearMoon" flight, also round the Moon not landing. 

I assume these will be after the early Artemis NASA flights. And will not be the Starship HLS, the landing version. 

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Different wavelengths and all sorts of manipulation on both, but 6,500 light years away. Cheap at the price I think, Hubble and the James Webb.

image.thumb.png.c35f02c145feda88e03d52f311d906a5.png

“The Universe is more beautiful and terrifying than we can imagine”, think  that this is from a film that I can’t remember but it’s absolutely true.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit of a novice so forgive me. I bought a telescope off amazon a while back and have enjoyed looking at jupiter. But all I see is a bright circle and 4 moons around it. This is cool. But now I want to see more.

I get my best view using just a 25mm lense. i’ve then used the 2x thing that came with telescope and it just goes unclear, like a grey blob. So I tried the 10mm with 2x and much the same. So I’m assuming I need to buy a new eye piece, maybe something like 50 mm plus? They are fairly expensive so I’d like someone who knows what they’re talking about to give me a steer! 

all I really want is to be able to pick out some different things on jupiter, maybe the red dot if thats possible. 

my telescope is a celestron starsense. It was about £200 off amazon a while back.

On 30/10/2022 at 20:41, Tartan Dave said:

I am a bit of a novice so forgive me. I bought a telescope off amazon a while back and have enjoyed looking at jupiter. But all I see is a bright circle and 4 moons around it. This is cool. But now I want to see more.

I get my best view using just a 25mm lense. i’ve then used the 2x thing that came with telescope and it just goes unclear, like a grey blob. So I tried the 10mm with 2x and much the same. So I’m assuming I need to buy a new eye piece, maybe something like 50 mm plus? They are fairly expensive so I’d like someone who knows what they’re talking about to give me a steer! 

all I really want is to be able to pick out some different things on jupiter, maybe the red dot if thats possible. 

my telescope is a celestron starsense. It was about £200 off amazon a while back.

Is it a “Barlow” x2 magnification lens, if so you might be getting what they call “empty magnification “ . To get proper magnification you need a bigger light aperture ie the bigger the telescope the better 👍

Ever get a weather warnings and yet forget to take in something valuable?

NASA left SLS out and turns out the small hurricane is going to come a lot closer to the Cape than they originally expected. Only a 15% chance of winds that exceed the ground safety levels of the vehicle (75mph). If it is not damaged its due to try to fly 14 November. 

Seems a bit of a cursed mission if not entire program at this stage. 

Problem they have is that the rocket wasn't designed to get repeatedly rolled out and back for failed tests and launch attempts, and its structure weakens a bit every time. It's a 4.2 billion dollar demo with one last chance to keep the insanely expensive US pork barrel space industry going.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Given that it's been vertically stacked for much longer than designed, and has gone through more stressful testing than planned, I'd say that the 4.2 billion dollar rocket is on a shoogly peg.

Can they use it for something else?

Sounds like they're going for launch or bust on Wednesday morning despite some insulation protecting the capsule blowing off during the storm. Jim Free, one of the NASA bosses, says if it goes badly there won't be an Artemis 2.