The Universe

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’m sure one of them can just hold it shut till they get up there?

Aye, it will be good if they can find something to keep the woman occupied before dinner time. 

Edited by welshbairn

On 15/11/2020 at 23:44, welshbairn said:

Whacky weather satellite Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich getting launched 1717 on Saturday on another Falcon 9 rocket.

Sentinel-6-Michael-Freilich-radar-altime

Going up.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Manifesto said:

Interesting bit on beeb website about it mapping sea levels. So it isn't global wide raises, but localised.

The data I would read for days when it hits.

One of the boffins explained that the reason 3mm sea rise a year (accelerating, now approaching 5mm) is something to worry about, is that it's like gallon buckets of water stacked up to Pluto and back being added to the oceans every year. Not sure how significant that is but it's vivid. Light takes 5 1/2 hours to get to Pluto.

If you have time to spare here's the journey on a light speed capable ship.

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

One of the boffins explained that the reason 3mm sea rise a year (accelerating, now approaching 5mm) is something to worry about, is that it's like gallon buckets of water stacked up to Pluto and back being added to the oceans every year. Not sure how significant that is but it's vivid. Light takes 5 1/2 hours to get to Pluto.

If you have time to spare here's the journey on a light speed capable ship.

That was the point of the article.

Stats like that are misleading.

1 hour ago, Manifesto said:

Interesting bit on beeb website about it mapping sea levels. So it isn't global wide raises, but localised.

The data I would read for days when it hits.

Its super complex, but most of the sea level rise currently experienced is from the expansion of water from the warming of the oceans. Much of the rest is from the melting of glaciers.

But changes in currents and winds push the seas around so some places they are rising fast and others barely at all. 

There are a few different satellites that measure it using different methods. This is just sort of cover for when Jason 3 dies, to give us continued coverage. 

BAMS_SOTC_2019_sealevelrise_1000px.jpg

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-sea-level

Apologies is this post is on a tangent you were not looking for. 

Just now, Manifesto said:

Yip. Read It 

Yes, I did. Just don't get why that graphic visualisation of the volume of water is misleading. I get that the effects are localised, should she have said that some parts would have Mars and others Voyager 2?

48 minutes ago, 101 said:

https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=169931

A sun spot that could swallow the earth hole has formed on our sun could be a bit of solar flaring so if it goes the way the rest of 2020 then we will probably be wiped out

No worries. Our atmosphere will take care of it, unless we pump it full of horrific emissions and do nothing about that. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

No worries. Our atmosphere will take care of it, unless we pump it full of horrific emissions and do nothing about that. 

I assume that's why the SG let Cowdenbeath put a giant match in the air, to burn a hole in the atmosphere and let solar flares through. Because if there is anywhere in the world that solar flares would improve its Cowdenbeath.