The Universe

The thread may have moved on since your post but have you considered binoculars?
When my son went through his stargazing phase I bought him a pair of 15x70 binoculars and matched it with a good-quality tripod.  Much easier to use than a telescope.

I never really considered binoculars as i assumed (probably wrongly) that they wouldn’t be powerful enough for my need to see stuff. The telescope is clearly more difficult to learn but i have grasped it enough, and i also downloaded an app on my phone which tells me where everything is. The red dot sight on the telescope is class, which drastically helps in pinpointing exactly where i want to as well. At least it will look smart in the corner of my soon to he extension as a worst case scenario.

5 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

For anyone interested Crew Dragon departure ceremony (nothing much to it tbh but returns back today), splashdown tomorrow.

Coverage of the undocking starts 10.15 tonight. Slow television, splashdown tomorrow 7.41pm.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Coverage of the undocking starts 10.15 tonight. Slow television, splashdown tomorrow 7.41pm.

Reminder set, didn't realise they only have enough oxygen for 48 hours once the cabin is depressurised.

2 hours ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

I never really considered binoculars as i assumed (probably wrongly) that they wouldn’t be powerful enough for my need to see stuff. The telescope is clearly more difficult to learn but i have grasped it enough, and i also downloaded an app on my phone which tells me where everything is. The red dot sight on the telescope is class, which drastically helps in pinpointing exactly where i want to as well. At least it will look smart in the corner of my soon to be observatory as a worst case scenario.

FTFY.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Reminder set, didn't realise they only have enough oxygen for 48 hours once the cabin is depressurised.

Is that just from their suits? You'd think the capsule could go a lot longer, but if something catastrophic happened to depressurise it, 48 hours is impressive.

Is that just from their suits? You'd think the capsule could go a lot longer, but if something catastrophic happened to depressurise it, 48 hours is impressive.

Apparently that's the capsule, once it gets depressurised they only have enough oxygen for that amount of time so no room for error in this.

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Apparently that's the capsule, once it gets depressurised they only have enough oxygen for that amount of time so no room for error in this.

I'm pretty sure it will stay pressurised until it splashes down and they open the hatch, they'll spend most of the journey in their jimjams. They just wear the suits when it's a bit dodgy like undocking. I'd be a bit shocked if the capsule has that narrow a margin of error if they had to take a bit longer getting home for some reason.

I'm pretty sure it will stay pressurised until it splashes down and they open the hatch, they'll spend most of the journey in their jimjams. They just wear the suits when it's a bit dodgy like undocking. I'd be a bit shocked if the capsule has that narrow a margin of error if they had to take a bit longer getting home for some reason.

Read somewhere earlier that its only 48hrs but just found another one saying 3 days, i had to admit shocked that one said only 48hrs as doesn't allow much margin of error.  3 days being a bit better but still not a lot of room for error either mind you.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Found it:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/history-making-nasa-spacex-astronauts-returning-international-space/story?id=72092598

Stakes are high as once the Crew Dragon spacecraft undocks from the ISS, the astronauts will only have 48 hours of oxygen in their capsule.

4 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Found it:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/history-making-nasa-spacex-astronauts-returning-international-space/story?id=72092598

Stakes are high as once the Crew Dragon spacecraft undocks from the ISS, the astronauts will only have 48 hours of oxygen in their capsule.

Wonder if they have enough fuel to get back to the space station before they run out of oxygen, say if the heat shield drops off before they hit the atmosphere? Probably not. Maybe if they find out something's wrong not too long after they undock.

Wonder if they have enough fuel to get back to the space station before they run out of oxygen, say if the heat shield drops off before they hit the atmosphere? Probably not. Maybe if they find out something's wrong not too long after they undock.

from what i have been following on it the main concern  was the batteries for it but they have been performing better than expected the next dragon capsule is meant to have an even more efficient battery system or better solar panels.  Say one thing the 2 of them arses must be making buttons knowing this is the most crucial part.

10 hours ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Managed to view Mars, Jupiter and Saturn tonight for the first time, despite having several Tennents. Mars was disappointing but seeing the rings and 3 moons of Jupiter was special.

I did the very same last night as the conditions were perfect.

On 30/07/2020 at 20:38, dorlomin said:

The UAE launched an orbiter on a Japanese launch vehicle. 

The Chinese made their second attempt at an orbiter on their Long March 5 with a small rover attached. 

And the US launched another isotope powered rover based on the Curiosity rover. It includes a mission to do some very small scale drilling in the hope a follow up mission will pick up the drilled samples. All missions are now headed to Mars. 

It would be funny as f**k if they crashed into one another.

Saturnus May 22 2007 reappears after occultation by the Moon. Video was made by a18cm Astro Physics 180EDT, aMeade 5000 3x Barlow and aToUcam2. Some afterprocessing was done, to push the brightness of the faint Saturn to match that of the Moon. The video passes twice as fast as it was in reality.