The Universe

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Although it sounds spectacular I'm not remotely tempted by a trip to Mars, stuck in a tin can for a year then being stuck in a caravan in a quarry and only being able to go outside with a diving suit. Worse than Covid lockdown! Moon I'd jump at.

This. 

Mars looks like a further away version of the moon that’s a bit rusty.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

This. 

Mars looks like a further away version of the moon that’s a bit rusty.

There's a film on Amazon with quality footage of the last Apollo mission, 17 I think. The moon doesn't look boring at all in colour.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

There's a film on Amazon with quality footage of the last Apollo mission, 17 I think. The moon doesn't look boring at all in colour.

Is quite like to land near some wee craters or somewhere like the Sinus Iridium.  None of the really flat bits.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is quite like to land near some wee craters or somewhere like the Sinus Iridium.  None of the really flat bits.

Might go to one of the poles.

yxdLMFVwsawanTaRCtnDf8TNaa8qrEDdp9qO4y4Y

Embarrassing pork barrel politics stuff going on now with the arrival ceremony and arsehole US politicians getting air time. The Russians must be feeling bemused at it all.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, you are right.  It is Apollo 17.  Just a warning in case somebody thinks this sounds interesting but buys a DVD for Apollo 18 instead!

Apollo 18.jpg

On 31/05/2020 at 09:34, welshbairn said:

TBF the car is currently outside the orbit of Mars so is unlikely to crash into anything soon.

image.thumb.png.6183c673d2693ccc3f8855661e58be73.png

https://spacein3d.com/starman

I've always liked the idea of its orbit becoming so wild it goes out of thought for a couple of hundred years, before heading directly for Earth.

The idea of a future version of humanity having a meltdown as they try and figure out who's throwing ancient Earth artifacts at them from the abyss, with a human body in it as a threat, sounds quite fun.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

SPACE FORCE! getting less comical.

Spaceforce is just a rebranding of the USAF Space Command and some other functions.

The article is about a DARPA funded project. Its the same stuff DARPA has been doing for decades. I do not think it has anything to do with "spaceforce."

Space Force reorganization could raise profile of DARPA’s space missions

The Pentagon is directing space procurement organizations to focus on resiliency in a future armed conflict, which is good news for programs like DARPA's Blackjack, said Fred Kennedy, director of the agency's Tactical Technology Office.

image.thumb.png.21f83c88775407d66d8df09a8df67d67.png

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

This is about shifting to small sat and constellations like OneWeb (now defunct) and Starlink. Its kind of old things are moving beyond this these days with the DOD looking to team up with Starlink as a bandwidth carrier.