The Universe

Assuming they crashed on to a blob of lunar ice, I'd expect the cosmic radiation will speed up their evolution to the extent that they'll invade Earth by next March and replace Trump with one of their own, and no one will be the wiser.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Assuming they crashed on to a blob of lunar ice, I'd expect the cosmic radiation will speed up their evolution to the extent that they'll invade Earth by next March and replace Trump with one of their own, and no one will be the wiser.

Or evolve into Xenomorphs and wipe out humanity (starting with Israel first)

SpaceX caught one of its fairings, these things are pretty expensive at $3 million  a go and normally all in the sea. They have brought a second boat to catch the other one now. The idea being knocking $6 million of either their list price for a launch or adding it to the profit.

Cubsat launchers RocketLabs now plan to catch their first stage by helicopter. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Have my doubts, health and safety and all that.

https://twitter.com/RocketLab/status/1158866360778121216

Spy satellites used to eject their film and be caught by plane. 

1024px-Fairchild_C-119J_Flying_Boxcar_re

So the technique should be well understood. But SpaceX ships are unstaffed drones. The RocketLabs helicopter will have people on board. 

3 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Spy satellites used to eject their film and be caught by plane. 

1024px-Fairchild_C-119J_Flying_Boxcar_re

So the technique should be well understood. But SpaceX ships are unstaffed drones. The RocketLabs helicopter will have people on board. 

The Rocketlabs first stage rocket still weighs one ton with all the fuel used up. I can see how it's possible but the safety thresholds are very strict. Maybe they could develop a full size drone helicopter if they haven't already.

I spent the other night in an Uzbek mountain village, about ten kilometres away from a new observatory. At night the sky was incredible, you could very clearly see the milky way and every couple of minutes or so you'd see a meteor. Beautiful but also a mindfuck.

Not a bad film, and fairly accurate if a bit cheesy, about the first space walk. It's called Spacewalk handily, and is available on Amazon. It's in Russian which makes it seem better than a Yankee TV movie. Not selling it very well, but I enjoyed it. Here's a spoiler.

On 13/08/2019 at 21:21, DiegoDiego said:

I spent the other night in an Uzbek mountain village, about ten kilometres away from a new observatory. At night the sky was incredible, you could very clearly see the milky way and every couple of minutes or so you'd see a meteor. Beautiful but also a mindfuck.

You should have bought your jeans there.

• 2 weeks later...

Elon Musk's daft new experimental rocket attempting to launch. Been delayed, probably won't happen tonight.

P.S. on 6 minute countdown now though, so maybe... no hang on, 6 hours, as you were...

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Elon Musk's daft new experimental rocket attempting to launch. Been delayed, probably won't happen tonight.

P.S. on 6 minute countdown now though, so maybe... no hang on, 6 hours, as you were...

I wasn't paying much attention to the story on the news but I'm sure they said that people in the vicinity of the take off zone should expect to have their windows smashed due to a "high pressure event" or something. 

I reserve the right to be completely wrong with this post and will point to it's vagueness in my defence if it turns out to be miles from the truth. 

Edit: I should probably have researched it before my post. 

Turns out I wasn't wrong, other than it being called "an overpressure event".

Edited by Dee Man