The Universe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great show on BBC2 tonight on the first Moon landing. Shows how complex the whole thing was and with now ancient technology. 8 days: To the Moon and back on BBC2 on iplayer. Bit depressing hearing them talking about being on Mars in 2000. Vague memory of being woken up in the middle of the night to watch it, pictures were crap. They cancelled it just when they got full colour and they had time to play golf. Should be hotels on it by now.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Great show on BBC2 tonight on the first Moon landing. Shows how complex the whole thing was and with now ancient technology. 8 days: To the Moon and back on BBC2 on iplayer. Bit depressing hearing them talking about being on Mars in 2000. Vague memory of being woken up in the middle of the night to watch it, pictures were crap. They cancelled it just when they got full colour and they had time to play golf. Should be hotels on it by now.

Moon landings aren't real, mate.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

My recording cut out just as they were re-entering (oo-er), please no one spoil the story for me until I manage to catch it on iPlayer. 😉

Really enjoyed the show too, the mixture or dramatization combined with actual footage and voice recordings worked really well.

Was it only 3% of the original rocket mass came back to earth, or something like that?

Edited by Boghead ranter

8 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Was it only 3% of the original rocket mass came back to earth, or something like that?

More like 0.3%

I thought it was a great programme last night too.  Loads of Apollo based stuff coming up on TV over the next week as well 👌

Just been to see this at the cinema, it's absolutely stunning, awe inspiring and filled with incredible footage, even though I know what happened I spent the duration of the documentary going between goosebumps and sweaty palms., go science!

Watching a BBC4 series on the space race, Chasing the Moon. Not much in the way of technical stuff, but there's an interesting claim about why the Russians were first into space and the first to put a man in orbit. Both the US and the USSR were building ICBMs before they had developed nuclear weapons small enough to be carried on one. The Yanks thought they could get it down to 2 tons, the Russians 6 tons. So the Russians built massive rockets that were too expensive to use as a weapon and had to find some use for them. How would science progress if we weren't trying to kill each other, or break each other's codes?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Not Michael Collins though, poor b*****d.

I was listening to his interview the other day and he says he's repeatedly asked if it bothers him that he didn't step on the moon and he said it doesn't. I immediately thought of John Candy...

Spoiler

893960980_naNEzNm(1).gif.34cd9463c2372df286eedfee0044cb8e.gif

Got the command vessel all tidy and nice for the way home and the other two messed it with fucking moon dust, and endless bragging about how beautiful the grey quarry looked. Pair of c***s.

14 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

First man to orbit the moon having a big w**k though.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

First man to orbit the moon having a big w**k though.

No other way to clean up than by catching it in your mouth though.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:19, Mark Connolly said:

Not Michael Collins though, poor b*****d.

Not at all.

Sort of person who is happy staying at home while his two friends go off to the pub and is happier still when they come back and say "that place had no life to it".

Quietly satisfied - "I knew that already - that's why I didn't go."