The Universe

5 hours ago, Fide said:

If that was possible, who was the creator of the creator of the universe?  And so on and so on.

If a creator created the universe, then it must be outside of the universe meaning any understandings we have of the universe may not apply to the creator. For example, everything we can see is finite even the sun...so a creator could be outside of time and space meaning it's always existed. I'm frazzling my own brain !

If a creator created the universe, then it must be outside of the universe meaning any understandings we have of the universe may not apply to the creator. For example, everything we can see is finite even the sun...so a creator could be outside of time and space meaning it's always existed. I'm frazzling my own brain !

How could "creating" mean anything without a context of time to separate when the object hadn't been created from when it had.

39 minutes ago, stuartsmfc said:

There are just some things about the Universe that we don't fully understand. It's very big and has been around for a very long time, and we've only been trying seriously to find out about it for a few hundred years. Explaining any gaps in our knowledge by postulating that the tooth fairy must have done it, does not advance understanding.

Maybe time is a relatively new concept in regards to the universe? We won't ever have the capacity to understand everything or we would have made bigger strides than we have already. We also don't know if everything we see is finite though as you have the likes of dark matter which we have little to no understanding of.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There are just some things about the Universe that we don't fully understand. It's very big and has been around for a very long time, and we've only been trying seriously to find out about it for a few hundred years. Explaining any gaps in our knowledge by postulating that the tooth fairy must have done it, does not advance understanding.

I think previous civilisations knew a lot more than we think. We think we know a lot through science but really it is limited in its explanations. The universe appears to have been fine tuned, by what, how and why? I have no idea. I watched a short video a while ago showing the mathematical possibility of us being here by chance and it's very very low. I'll try and find it 

Just now, stuartsmfc said:

I think previous civilisations knew a lot more than we think. We think we know a lot through science but really it is limited in its explanations. The universe appears to have been fine tuned, by what, how and why? I have no idea. I watched a short video a while ago showing the mathematical possibility of us being here by chance and it's very very low. I'll try and find it 

That's a total misunderstanding of probability. We're here because of what happened before, that's just how it is. Richard Feynman explained it well.

You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!

6 hours ago, monkeyblair said:

My wife has a fascination for Dr Brian Cox and as such I bought us both tickets for his 'gig' at the Hydro.

I basically sat for an hour and a half confused as f**k.

That's fucking PROFESSOR Brian Cox, thankyou.

:angry:

What if our universe was the dark matter of the dark matter universe? Like when 'stuff' in their universe collides it creates ours?
Another one I thought of is a matrix type scenario where we are just like a rabbit hutch contained in some bigger Truman show type situation?

One question I have is what is the universe expanding into? Is it limitless or will it expand them contract? I watched a documentary that fucked my head up by saying that eventually there would just be nothingness. Would rather that it went out with a big bang than just moving apart and dying off.

If there was a heaven and God and shit, I'd spend about 40% of my time hanging around Dawkins & Gervais watching smug religious types abusing them endlessly. The rest would be watching Michael Caine wish for an end to existence as everyone did their best impression of him.

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

One question I have is what is the universe expanding into? Is it limitless or will it expand them contract? I watched a documentary that fucked my head up by saying that eventually there would just be nothingness. Would rather that it went out with a big bang than just moving apart and dying off.

It's not expanding into anything.  The Universe contains everything in existence, so if there was something outside the universe this would be part of the universe too.  With the universe's expansion, it's not expanding into anything, but it is expanding....

And the fate of the universe you're talking about is heat death.  This is pretty interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_timeline_from_Big_Bang_to_Heat_Death

If there was a heaven and God and shit, I'd spend about 40% of my time hanging around Dawkins & Gervais watching smug religious types abusing them endlessly. The rest would be watching Michael Caine wish for an end to existence as everyone did their best impression of him.

You'd think if anyone would believe in an afterlife it would be Gervais.

He's seen personally watched his career go to hell.

12 hours ago, Fide said:

That's fucking PROFESSOR Brian Cox, thankyou.

:angry:

That's how uninterested I was.

I was actually waiting for a rendition of Things Can Only Get Better but that didn't happen either.

On 29/06/2017 at 06:36, D.A.F.C said:

What if our universe was the dark matter of the dark matter universe? Like when 'stuff' in their universe collides it creates ours?
Another one I thought of is a matrix type scenario where we are just like a rabbit hutch contained in some bigger Truman show type situation?

I think it was the creators of The Matrix and The Truman Show that thought of those scenarios rather than yourself.

On 6/28/2017 at 23:36, D.A.F.C said:

One question I have is what is the universe expanding into? Is it limitless or will it expand them contract?

Another universe. In that universe they're watching in horror as this big bubble expands into their bubble, destroying everything it touches.

Meanwhile, their universe is expanding into another universe...

I'm calling it the Bubble Universe theory and I thunked it first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...