Stranraer close-season thread

Brian Reid was the reason I stopped buying a season ticket at Somerset, he achieved promotion twice but only just when automatic promotion should have been achieved and his teams in the championship were appalling. Too defensive and poor to watch he will take Stranraer to their natural level all right-championship.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some strange comments on here about Mr Reid. I can think of plenty managers before him that would be cause to dump yer season ticket!

I don't think the players particularly liked the big man but he got results and we rarely looked like losing in League 1/Division Two. I guess you could criticise him for getting us relegated twice but we were trying to survive in the Championship with a tiny, part time squad. We just ran out of steam in the end.

Reid gave us some excellent cup runs as well, we were only a few minutes away from taking Killie to penalties and potentially making the League cup final under him.

Reid certainly gave me some of my best memories as an Ayr fan, I think some people are exaggerating hugely. Airdrie play off, Brechin play off, St Mirren in the quarter finals as well as beating Hibs etc. Think he will do well for Stranraer.

Reid certainly gave me some of my best memories as an Ayr fan, I think some people are exaggerating hugely. Airdrie play off, Brechin play off, St Mirren in the quarter finals as well as beating Hibs etc. Think he will do well for Stranraer.

The 1-0 Raith game away in the league was also a cracking day. The 2-2 Killie game, you could go on and on.

Money talks and we just didn't have enough to spend in the Championship. Reid banged on about the constraints of being a part time team in a full time league, but he wasn't wrong. When you put Reid in the context of Roberts, Shanks and Watt, you realise he did an entirely decent job for us.

Money talks and we just didn't have enough to spend in the Championship. Reid banged on about the constraints of being a part time team in a full time league, but he wasn't wrong. When you put Reid in the context of Roberts, Shanks and Watt, you realise he did an entirely decent job for us.

He can bang on about money being a factor but the season he managed to snatch relegation from the jaws of victory it was bad management that cost us. Well I suppose if your comparing Reid to Shanks, Connor, Money and Roberts he was undoubtedly a legend. Is there a team in Scotland that has had such a bad collection of managers spanning years?

Watt won championship then promotion and achieved our highest ever league placing in 3 years. Money won the Challenge Cup and the old 2nd Division title in a league with likes of ICT, Livi, Clydebank and QOTS in similar period. Maybe something to do with the club rather than the manager?

Watt won championship then promotion and achieved our highest ever league placing in 3 years. Money won the Challenge Cup and the old 2nd Division title in a league with likes of ICT, Livi, Clydebank and QOTS in similar period. Maybe something to do with the club rather than the manager?

I was thinking the same myself Venga

If you are wanting a bit of insight in to your new manager, Scott McLaughlin is talking about working under him on the THHP Podcast, link in the below

Alright lads, tonight sees the sixth edition of the Pelé Podcast starring Scott McLaughlin - CLICK.

No point in starting a new thread so let's keep in here. It's essential listening for Morton fans, particularly in context with the Davie Irons pod from a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure Ayr United fans will find something in there too. Scott also spoke about his other clubs (Livi, Peterhead, Airdrie, Clyde, Queens), so there's something in there for everyone.

I really enjoyed talking to him, comes across as a sound boy.

The sound warps very occasionally but don't let that put you off, it's bloody good fun.

I'm sorry but does everyone forget Ayr 0 Inverness 7, Inverness 5 Ayr 1, Ayr 1 Airdrie 4 etc. etc. etc. Ayr were a complete shambles in the Championship under Reid. We have had some shocking managers over the years and he is one of them.

I am assuming this is a wind up

Under the Camerons the investment in the club must be at an all time low, having a financial expert running the club during the lowest ebb of Scottish football AND someone who had no idea how to run a football club has meant that we have been losing out on players to teams who get half our crowds and have finished in our lowest league position in decades.

The only high point, since Barr and his wallet left has been the two seasons Reid took us up. Both seasons we were the only part time team in the league and on the second attempt we finished above a full time team and reached the quarter final of a national cup.

With a similar budget we had Shanks, Watt, the two Rabs and Roberts, all of which had us at the bottom of the third tier of Scottish football.

To suggest Reid was a shocking manager because of a handfull of bad results.......look at MacLeods record, look at Daziel's (where he was spending 40-60-80k on players) record. By your logic there has never been a good Ayr manager

Lets not forget that Inverness were champions that year, getting thrashed by them wasn't pretty but we weren't alone. Actually, didn't we beat them on their own patch?

As for Neil Watt...it's telling that he hasn't been seen in the pros since being sacked.

Lets not forget that Inverness were champions that year, getting thrashed by them wasn't pretty but we weren't alone. Actually, didn't we beat them on their own patch?

As for Neil Watt...it's telling that he hasn't been seen in the pros since being sacked.

No it was 0-0 first game up at theirs, (i think Robbie Winters played for us?) and then 3-3 where Inverness got a dodgy last minute penalty and Reid talked about that penalty in every interview for the rest of the season :lol:

If Brian Reid keeps us competitive in current division he ll have been a major success. If he got us up he ds be a miracle worker. We would then get humped every week but could live with that for a season.

Widely expected that David Mitchell will sign for us at some point soon as Stephen Aitken admitted he tried to lure him to Dumbarton but reckons he's about sorted on a full time deal with us: Link.

If Brian Reid keeps us competitive in current division he ll have been a major success. If he got us up he ds be a miracle worker. We would then get humped every week but could live with that for a season.

With Reid as manager you will at least have a play-off spot I'd guess, his contacts mean you'll probably have a few loan players though. He is friends with Mcinnis, got players because of his Blackpool days and Australians because of Dave McPherson.

I am assuming this is a wind up

Under the Camerons the investment in the club must be at an all time low, having a financial expert running the club during the lowest ebb of Scottish football AND someone who had no idea how to run a football club has meant that we have been losing out on players to teams who get half our crowds and have finished in our lowest league position in decades.

The only high point, since Barr and his wallet left has been the two seasons Reid took us up. Both seasons we were the only part time team in the league and on the second attempt we finished above a full time team and reached the quarter final of a national cup.

With a similar budget we had Shanks, Watt, the two Rabs and Roberts, all of which had us at the bottom of the third tier of Scottish football.

To suggest Reid was a shocking manager because of a handfull of bad results.......look at MacLeods record, look at Daziel's (where he was spending 40-60-80k on players) record. By your logic there has never been a good Ayr manager

Reid didn't always have the same budget as the others. In 2008 money was put in by Cameron and Ingram which allowed a better quality of player to be attracted. Comparing one turd to a less polished one isnt really a good benchmark. If he were as good as you say why were there not better teams queuing up to appoint him when he left? He's been out of work at points also so why no takers? Were there not good players who left because they couldn't work with him? There are a lot worse managers out there but his level is probably bottom part of this division or league below.

Great interest from Ayr posters on Stranraer's new manager Brian Reid, wish they would take a look at their own managers checkered career, a few sackings in there. Brian will make a good appointment for the toon.

Archived