Stranraer close-season thread

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Chris Aitken doesnt hold the badges yet to get the position, which being honest im quite glad of as i dont fancy him as gaffer at all. I wouldnt be against him being a part of a new coaching set up, maybe help a bit with continuety, but working under a manager.

Reid wouldnt be a bad appointment, i think we could do a lot worse. If hes friends with the Aitken brothers from their playing days as well it could be a chance for a Reid/Tiff management team. Whoever gets it anyway is taking over the club in a healthy position, as good a position financially as the club has perhaps ever been. An era ends and a new one begins, and im sure the fans will get behind whoever is appointed. I trust the committee to get it right.

I think Reid would be a decent appointment.Makes a team hard to beat and has a decent record in this division.

Think I'd like to see someone who can take over, and progress from where Steve Aitken left off. Attractive, effective, passing football.

And hard to beat.

'Hard to beat' is really the minimum qualification, on its own, sounds to me like a recipe for dour stuff.

Ayr on a bad day, trying to avoid relegation.

Think I'd like to see someone who can take over, and progress from where Steve Aitken left off. Attractive, effective, passing football.

And hard to beat.

'Hard to beat' is really the minimum qualification, on its own, sounds to me like a recipe for dour stuff.

Ayr on a bad day, trying to avoid relegation.

The year Raith just pipped us to the league was some of the best football we've played in recent season and outwith Celtic and Rangers, we were the highest scoring team in Scotland. Remember several games we would be 1 or 2 down at half time and still be confident that we'd at least get a point and more often than not we won. Even in the play offs that year we were 2-0 in the tie to then first division Airdrie and turned it around.

For where Stranraer are just now, they really need a more experienced manager who can continue what Aitken has started. All well and good bringing through and understudy, but they could undo all the work he started.

Im a huge fan of Ginge, the guy has made himself a legend at the club through being a great servant to the club as both a player and a manager. I think its worth mentioning though at this stage, and in no way is this meant as a slight on Ginge, Faz and the job he did for us, that for the second half of last season our style in many games had changed quite drastically from the passing game of his early days. He had us playing some of the most attractive football i have ever witnessed from a Stranraer side at those times.

But towards the end of last season we had resorted to a far more direct game, one which i felt at times was essential for two reasons, one being that certain teams were successful at stifling our passing game and making it difficult for us to play, and secondly it is a must for every team to be able to have more than a Plan A.

Ginge deserves great credit for being a coach who was adaptable. That to me is as important as being based solely on the passing, attractive football that we all want as football fans.

Was he not sacked for achieving that at your club?

If he'd achieved that would have earned a new contract. Stranraer have had a great couple of seasons and don't see why your board couldn't have identified another up and coming coach to build on Aitkens great work. History was kind to Reid in that Roberts followed him but you'll have gone from having one of the best to one of the weakest managers in the league,

Reid achieved a fair bit at Ayr when you consider the two promotions. Pretty successful in the transfer market as well.

But a tough gig here. His man management was by far his weakest attribute with us - but that's what Aitken had in spades to get Stranraer to where they are now.

Don't see Reid being a disaster, but don't see him achieving what Aitken did.

Good appointment for Stranraer I reckon. Tough to follow what Aitken has done but they could have done a hell of a lot worse - I certainly won't be giving him any stick when he comes back. Reckon we have a much better manager now in McCall, but the utter shambles of the Mark Roberts era shows how good a job Reid actually did.

If he'd achieved that would have earned a new contract. Stranraer have had a great couple of seasons and don't see why your board couldn't have identified another up and coming coach to build on Aitkens great work. History was kind to Reid in that Roberts followed him but you'll have gone from having one of the best to one of the weakest managers in the league,

He was sometimes a bit too defensive for my liking when we were in the first division, and paid for it with relegation, but one of the weakest managers in the league? That's nonsense.

As the guy says above, we scored a lot of goals, had plenty come backs from 1 or 2 goals down, went a whole season undefeated at home, and got promoted twice.

Brian Reid was the reason I stopped buying a season ticket at Somerset, he achieved promotion twice but only just when automatic promotion should have been achieved and his teams in the championship were appalling. Too defensive and poor to watch he will take Stranraer to their natural level all right- league two.

He was sometimes a bit too defensive for my liking when we were in the first division, and paid for it with relegation, but one of the weakest managers in the league? That's nonsense.

As the guy says above, we scored a lot of goals, had plenty come backs from 1 or 2 goals down, went a whole season undefeated at home, and got promoted twice.

Let's revisit this at end of season. He stuttered through the league at Ayr when they were a big club for that division and had top two budgets to play with. Not sure he will have the same luxury at Stranraer so let's see how good he really is!

Archived