Liam Craig - St Johnstone Legend

Just thought I'd make a thread celebrating a wonderful man. His name is Liam Craig.

18825413a9332044050ml.jpg

Here Liam celebrates as he scores against Dunfermline in 2008. It was during one of our "Blue and White Away Days" where the Saints fans turned out in their numbers at East End Park. Those that did attend were not left disappointed, as Liam scores an absolute screamer from 35 yards right in front of our supporters to win the game. We went on to win the league that season.

football-st-johnstone-v-dundee-utd-liam-

Injury time at McDiarmid Park. It's 1-0 Dundee United. A draw will ensure St Johnstone will finish in the top six. Who other than Liam Craig to send a dramatic header flying into the net? But wait! There's more...

16505748_04-05-13-CLYDESDALE-BANK-PREMIE

Liam celebrates another goal against the Arabs after staying calm and composed to slot the ball home. It was a goal that ended at 13 year hoodoo of no league wins at Tannadice - and it was a crucial one in the race for Europe. Surely St Johnstone wouldn't finish in a Europa League spot?

cele620_1731018a.jpg

You bet they did. Liam is swamped by his fellow teammates after he scores yet another screamer against Motherwell to send the Saintees into dreamland. It was the first goal of 2 that saw the Saints achieve the incredible, and finish with a European spot for a successive season (with the help of County as well mind).

There is no doubt Liam Craig has produced some unforgettable moments. These are my favourite but I am sure there are many other memorable moments treasured by the St Johnstone faithful. We say goodbye to a man who was one of the few squad members remaining who sent us into the SPL in the first place. I wish him all the very best at Hibernian.

400828_469567209732932_628971598_n.jpg

8)

:wub: Absolute legend indeed. It might get mocked but I felt sadder yesterday watching him wave goodbye than I did about Murray. He's not the best, but he gave so much for us over the past few years. Yesterday summed him up, gave every single ounce he had to try and get us into Europe. And he always scores when it's really needed.

His goal at Dunfermline remains one of the best (if not the best) I've ever seen a Saints player score, ridiculously good goal that was destined to go in as soon as he hit it. I wish him all the best, no matter where he ends up. You could easily say this has been some of the greatest season we've ever had. And that the last 6 odd years have been a never ending dream of gloriousness. He's been a huge part of this, and has grown with the club. One day he'll come back, I'm certain of that

As I've said before, he had a poor start to the season but that's really the only prolonged period of time in which he has played below the standard expected of him. Sometimes frustrating when it comes to his lack of pace on the left wing and his mediocre delivery of the ball at times, but he more than makes up for his slight deficiencies with the important goals he has scored for Saints. We also won't see a player at Saints for a long time who shows such passion and always takes pride in donning the blue jersey. True legend. Good luck to him. He'll be getting a good reception from me whenever he plays against us from now on, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

As I've said before, he had a poor start to the season but that's really the only prolonged period of time in which he has played below the standard expected of him. Sometimes frustrating when it comes to his lack of pace on the left wing and his mediocre delivery of the ball at times, but he more than makes up for his slight deficiencies with the important goals he has scored for Saints. We also won't see a player at Saints for a long time who shows such passion and always takes pride in donning the blue jersey. True legend. Good luck to him. He'll be getting a good reception from me whenever he plays against us from now on, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

It's incredibly likely he'll get boo'd by some of the old moaning c***s though

My favourite memory is from the cup game at Brechin a couple years back. He was having a shite season and an even worse game. I was on the hedge side, right at the front and suitably unimpressed with his performance thus far.

In a drunken ramble, I mustered some bold words of encouragement, with him about 5 yards away. "Mon Liam, you're having your worst game of the season, which is really saying something. Pull your finger out and get back to your previous high standards". Or something to that effect.

The stare I got was murderous, but it worked. He was vastly improved thereafter and continued that until the end.

Fantastic player for us and will be missed every bit as Muzz.

Legend is banded around far to often nowadays.

Average SPL player.

He's played over 200 games. He joined us halfway through the Gretna season and played a pivotal part in our resurgence that almost them clawed back against all odds. Since then he's suffered all the highs and lows with us, and given his all in every single minute of every match. Every goal is celebrated like a fan, despite who scored it, and some goals he's scored have been the most important of the season. In his last ever game for us, in a match he didn't even need to try in seeing as his futures secured, he played out of skin, chasing everything and risking injury winning balls, scored a belter and gave it big licks after scoring.

The fact he's done so much for the club, in such an important time, makes him a legend

So is all that "we wouldn't pay what he wants" stuff officially bollocks now?

On our budget we couldn't compete with Hibs. He has a young family he needs to support and we couldn't match Hibs offer without risking losing out on other players. We're quite well stocked in central midfielder so couldn't afford the spend so much of our budget on him

Actually thinking about it, it's possible we sacrificed Craig for Brittain

Edited by RandomGuy.

He's played over 200 games. He joined us halfway through the Gretna season and played a pivotal part in our resurgence that almost them clawed back against all odds.

Not quite. He came at that stage of the following season, just after when Derek McInnes took over, initially on loan, before signing permanently in the July of 2008.

I agree with everything else you've said regarding Liam though.

He's played over 200 games. He joined us halfway through the Gretna season and played a pivotal part in our resurgence that almost them clawed back against all odds. Since then he's suffered all the highs and lows with us, and given his all in every single minute of every match. Every goal is celebrated like a fan, despite who scored it, and some goals he's scored have been the most important of the season. In his last ever game for us, in a match he didn't even need to try in seeing as his futures secured, he played out of skin, chasing everything and risking injury winning balls, scored a belter and gave it big licks after scoring.

The fact he's done so much for the club, in such an important time, makes him a legend

Mostly correct - he signed 6 months after Gretna as Derek McInnes' first signing (on loan from Falkirk).

He's progressed along with the team and has scored some absolutely pivotal goals for us. The most recent one against Motherwell on Saturday, but also the goals against Dunfermline, and the two recently against Dundee United were massive in our season too.

He's been an incredible servant to St Johnstone, and I really do wish him every success in the future, and with Hibs. You've got yourselves an excellent player who knows his own limitations (no pace being the main one) but he gives absolutely everything every single game, even when he's not playing well, is versatile and, as touched on above, has an uncanny ability to score important goals in big games.

I'm not keen on banding 'legend' about, but he is one in my eyes.

Not quite. He came at that stage of the following season, just after when Derek McInnes took over, initially on loan, before signing permanently in the July of 2008.

I agree with everything else you've said regarding Liam though.

Did he? Was convinced he joined us in the Gretna season! :lol: It's incredible how well he's done in so many different positions too

It's incredible how well he's done in so many different positions too

Absolutely. I've also been continually impressed by the progression of his hair colour. Ranging from blonde to ginger, with various shades in-between. Most impressive.

Very consistent, hardly ever injured. Can play anywhere across the middle and can do a job at left back. We will miss him, sorely. One of my favourite ever Saints players and consistently one of the first names on our team sheet for years. You can't argue with that. I don't wish him too much success at Hibs though :)