The East Fife Thread

All the optimism after our victory at Elgin has well and truly been blown out the window. Our home form is nothing short of horrible. As has been said many times players pulling on a jersey each week no matter how bad they have been in previous games. For me Mercer. Steele and Murdoch all needing a spell on the sidelines as they are way off what’s required. If that’s all the transfer business done for January we are in big trouble we desperately need another option up front. Managers record since coming into post is not good enough I’m not convinced he really knows what he is doing. The board are fans like us surely they must know that the results and performances are way off the mark. Even the most optimistic fan will be very concerned for the clubs league status. Things have been going down a slippery slope for 3 years now I hope the board realise that there isn’t much further to fall. What a sad state for a once proud football club. I can only hope someone in the board room is able to take leadership and sort out this sorry mess.

9 hours ago, fifer67 said:

All the optimism after our victory at Elgin has well and truly been blown out the window. Our home form is nothing short of horrible. As has been said many times players pulling on a jersey each week no matter how bad they have been in previous games. For me Mercer. Steele and Murdoch all needing a spell on the sidelines as they are way off what’s required. If that’s all the transfer business done for January we are in big trouble we desperately need another option up front. Managers record since coming into post is not good enough I’m not convinced he really knows what he is doing. The board are fans like us surely they must know that the results and performances are way off the mark. Even the most optimistic fan will be very concerned for the clubs league status. Things have been going down a slippery slope for 3 years now I hope the board realise that there isn’t much further to fall. What a sad state for a once proud football club. I can only hope someone in the board room is able to take leadership and sort out this sorry mess.

What a great post. Totally agree re all. The form and results are dreadful, teams win games in hand and it becomes very worrying. Brechin and Cowden went very sharply, I now fear the same. 

Yes the league is poor with the exception of a couple of teams but this cannot be allowed to continue. Forfar and Stenny took action, bringing in experienced managers. Forfar, imo, will easily reach the play offs. Naysmith will also turn the Warriors around. Mcdonald won't, players getting games when they shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

The signing of Omar when not even fit, the dropping of Denham, Healy and Newton, the failure to play and loaning of Williamson, the continual inclusion of loanees who are hopeless and the lack of game plan, the dreadful lack of subs (changed a bit) all evidence of bad management. I'm not even sure players care now, especially those who turn up knowing they'll get a game and those treated shabbily to accomodate them. 

Bonnyrigg may be the saving grace, we shouldn't be relying on others being worse than us.

9 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing & we all felt McDonald was deserving of the job when he got it. The 3 mentioned at the time were Naysmith, McDonald & Agnew. We've got 2 of the 3 in, sadly, I feel we'll be left to rue the one that got away.

You didn't need hindsight:

McDonald had not worked at this level since 2016. East Fife were probably the only club at this level who would give him this kind of  opportunity. Even Albion Rovers weren't prepared to give him a shot. Naysmith has worked continuously over the same period of time, with a relative degree of success. Agnew has no managerial experience so would have been a high risk appointment. I keep hearing that we should be putting respect on McDonald's name, but respect needs to be earned in my opinion. What he did as a player is irrelevant for me.

Putting your faith on manager(s) to fix the club very rarely works if there is no strategical plan for the club, which should be driven by the board. Combine that with making illogical decisions over and over again will eventually catch up with you. That's where the club are now. Manager retention/recruitment, player retention/recruitment, squad structure, use of the loan system in & out have all been questionable for a good few years now. Since the SPFL shutdown 1 is where I think it all started to go wrong. The old quote "do what you've always done and get what you've always got" springs to mind.

Anyway, what's the odds of Agnew being manager with Tony McMinn as Assistant by the end of the season?

Edited by 7 Eleven

21 hours ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing & we all felt McDonald was deserving of the job when he got it. The 3 mentioned at the time were Naysmith, McDonald & Agnew. We've got 2 of the 3 in, sadly, I feel we'll be left to rue the one that got away.

Not all of us felt that MccDonald was deserving of the job of manager I’m afraid. It was an easy and relatively cheap appointment that the board predictably made and we are paying for it big time.

Whilst  there are legitimate concerns at all levels within the club -player quality, manager quality , and BOD quality ,the one level within the structure of EFFC which does not seem to get mentioned at any length is ownership quality ie the principal shareholder -a person who has "owned" the club for 20 years and has yet to put    1 penny into either ground improvement or the daily running of the club.

Various parties have asked for a meeting to discuss this situation. The fact that the local community is to be more involved might lead to a more productive outcome than previous efforts from the BOD and EFST.

Might be worth going alone.

The meeting will be to discuss the future of East Fife FC and will be held on February 9th 2023 at 19.00 at the Fife Renewables Innovation Centre, Harbour View, (across from Bayview)

The purpose is to consider how fans and the local community can be more involved in the club and to consider options for community ownership.

Have we not went down this road when davie Marshall was alive and failed? since day 1 we haven’t seen the owners invest in east fife nor been at any of the clubs games. We also tried to bring in new investment that went against us under lee Murray.

2. can we afford to sack McDonald given he got the job because no one wanted it same reason Crawford got it to cover up clubs wrong when teams like Forfar, stenny have been active on club fortune we are siding further as a football club and we sugarcoat the January market to bring in Agnew thinking everything will be rectified between now and end of season.

we are stuck and it’s only January…….Season 1 Concern GIF by Good Girls Revolt

Does anyone know if or when the highlights of Saturday's match will be up on EFTV? I can see there's a good few interviews there, but was hoping to see the game itself. Had it in my head they were normally available by now. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Does anyone know if or when the highlights of Saturday's match will be up on EFTV? I can see there's a good few interviews there, but was hoping to see the game itself. Had it in my head they were normally available by now. 

Go to the club website, you'll find them under the 2022/2023 tab highlights.

On 04/12/2022 at 21:35, tazz1903 said:

Five points from relegation to the lowland league , 🙄

On 06/12/2022 at 00:35, AndoFifer1903 said:

And yet we’re 4 points from 3rd but that’s not getting pointed out 

How is this working for you now ? 

I didn’t see the game today nor I have I seen any highlights, if any, thank f**k, but it just seems  very strange that with  a full squad available, and staring defeat in the face, only 1 sub is used. Says in my opinion  a lot about how the players on the bench are viewed by the coaching staff ie not any better than what’s on the pitch so why change the formation.  If that is the case, then we are f***ed , thank God that Bonnyrigg are even worse than EF at the moment, otherwise LL playoffs , here we come.

Now I agree that the easiest solution is to relieve GMcD of his tasks, but the players also have to take a good look at themselves and give themselves a huge kick up the arse. Their performances leave a lot to be desired but it can be demoralising for the younger players that it is they, not the senior players who are demoted to the bench, if and when changes are made. 

The silence is absolutely defining from our supreme leaders. They should be flinging the kitchen sink at getting new faces in the door. We can’t even get to hear what the manager made of Saturdays performance as apparently there is a technical fault with his after match interview. He has given 15 players a chance in the last two games but apart from a couple the rest have let themselves the manager and the fans down big time. Now you could argue these players aren’t good enough but they haven’t even shown much fight when things go against them in a game. Can’t blame the manager for individual errors , costing a minimum of one goal a game. The lack of communication from the board just isn’t good enough let’s here if there’s no money to improve things. One things for sure if they just bury their head in the sand and things keep going the way they are the fans will never forgive them. The decisions taken at board room level in the last 2 or3 years have brought us to where we are now so let’s hear how they plan to sort it .I won’t hold my breath waiting for the chairman to communicate with the fans.