The East Fife Thread

Always disappointed to throw away a two goal lead but Annan have taking bigger scalps than East Fife at home recently. Our away form has been good with 2 wins and 2 draws. 3 of these 4 away games have been long distance to Elgin, Stranraer and Annan. Our home form hasn’t been great with 2 defeats from 3 games. Hopefully we can change that starting on Tuesday. As Darren Young used to say 15 points a quarter will see you in a play off place. I’m pretty sure with the massive squad turn around a play off place would be punching above our player recruitment. Look forward to hearing from the East Fife podcast to hear what these Stevie Crawford rumours are. 

As much as the Stranraer draw felt as good as a victory, Saturday's throwing away of a 2-goal lead feels like a defeat. Ironically a win and a defeat would've yielded more points than theses 2 draws. 

Yesterday, being unable to see the game out, along with the home defeats to Bonnyrigg & Dumbarton could well be put down to lack of experience, which with the squad we have, might have to be expected.

Although we, in points are closer to the bottom, than the top have to be happy with where we are though, not many of us expected us to sitting 3rd. 

That was a shambles last night. Leaving Newton on the bench for so long when it was clear that we were being overrun in midfield was baffling.

The tactic seems to be for Shepherd to get on the end of a flick on and run through past the defenders. Which might work if we won a header in midfield and Shepherd actually varied his runs. There's no-one pulling the opposition defence out of shape so the gaps don't exist for him to run in to either. Shiavone is great at doing this but he was warming the bench last night while Steven was pretty much ineffective and muscled out the game.

It's worrying that we still don't seem to have settled on a formation either, the team on the park last night didn't have a clue where they were supposed to be.  

Looks like Stevie Crawford will be offered assistant managers post at Dundee Utd. Liam Fox set to be named manager and Dundee courier reporting Crawford is the man he wants as assistant. I’m not sure many East Fife fans will be to fussed as things have been a bit underwhelming under his tenure. 

1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

Looks like Stevie Crawford will be offered assistant managers post at Dundee Utd. Liam Fox set to be named manager and Dundee courier reporting Crawford is the man he wants as assistant. I’m not sure many East Fife fans will be to fussed as things have been a bit underwhelming under his tenure. 

Time for a change. Hope he goes.

Fine. It was very much a ‘meh’ appointment in the first place anyway.

Glad he is going. His first tenure at the club ended in a disappointing result. So was never convinced he could improve on that this time. I am afraid he is leaving us with a team of promising loan signings but little experience.  Hopefully we will look for an experienced manager now. Much as I liked Greg McDonald as a player don't think he is the answer. Nor is Gary I'm afraid. However gets the job will have a task to get some experience in to support the young players

I think some of the comments relating to Crawford are a bit harsh.

He inherited an absolute carcass of a squad last season, which no one would have kept up in the timescale given, and he's got East Fife realistically challenging for a play-off place this season, with what must be one of the youngest squads in the country.

Didn't want to post straight after Tuesday's game, but I'm not sad to seethe back of Stevie Crawford. Yes he interited a difficult situation, where he had little chance of staying in the division. This season though, we're crying out for experience to help our young squad out.

The timing is not ideal though & hopefully it won't derail any confidence this team has. Whoever comes in will still have the same squad to work with, there is a lot of potential there.

Hopefully the new manager search is a lot easier than attracting players has been.  I can't think of too many off hand that are available who would consider 4th tier. 

4 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I think some of the comments relating to Crawford are a bit harsh.

He inherited an absolute carcass of a squad last season, which no one would have kept up in the timescale given, and he's got East Fife realistically challenging for a play-off place this season, with what must be one of the youngest squads in the country.

Don’t agree at all. We are punching above our weight being in the top half of league two. We have won one out of of four home games and that was an injury time penalty!! We have been extremely fortunate in our away games as Albion Rovers, Elgin, Stranraer and Annan will undoubtedly agree. We have four on loan players all 18 years old or under. Our tactics are such that we are playing with a back three and are continually vulnerable down our right hand side.

so all in all I for one am not sad to see Crawford leave. 

Not sure anyone is that distraught to see him go. Regardless, it does not reflect well at all on the boards recruitment strategy that the guy they appointed without interviewing anyone else has jumped ship within a year to be an assistant, despite at the time having been the apparent obvious candidate. Having seen us relegated, a team dismantled and a full recruitment strategy seemingly based on youth, we weren't that much of an appetising project in November 2021 and we're in a worse position now. 

Fingers crossed we go crazy and actually interview people this time. My cash is on Toro being appointed. 

3 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Fingers crossed we go crazy and actually interview people this time. My cash is on Toro being appointed. 

With or without being interviewed???

8 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Not sure anyone is that distraught to see him go. Regardless, it does not reflect well at all on the boards recruitment strategy that the guy they appointed without interviewing anyone else has jumped ship within a year to be an assistant, despite at the time having been the apparent obvious candidate. Having seen us relegated, a team dismantled and a full recruitment strategy seemingly based on youth, we weren't that much of an appetising project in November 2021 and we're in a worse position now. 

Never know maybe yous will try and get Scott agnew if he wants to be a manager and he played for you lot it’s the obvious choice really 

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

Never know maybe yous will try and get Scott agnew if he wants to be a manager and he played for you lot it’s the obvious choice really 

He's one of the names doing the rounds. Not sure myself, a new unproven manager also a gamble. Baring in mind, he supposedly left us halfway through his contract because he didn't like not being based closer to home which turned out to be complete nonsense given how quickly he seemed to rock up at you guys!

Scott Agnew effectively downed tools halfway through the season for us, because we were not going to rip up his contract and let him f**k off to Airdrie, citing the “Fife is awfy far away from ma hoose” argument, only to rock up at Starks Park within the year!!!

He can do one, the lying little shitehawk!!!