The East Fife Thread

League positions at youth level are of no relevance whatsoever.

For several seasons running, Celtic won the reserves / under 20 league then would free almost the entire squad immediately after.

At the time Crawford himself, along with Colin Cameron, Jason Dair and others came through the ranks at the Rovers, I don't recall our reserve team being particularly prolific in terms of winning leagues and cups (except the Fife Cup at the old Bayview at the start of 92/93 when it was held over a weekend).

do we have anyone left from the u20s anyways? That’s cammy Dow away to crossgates on a permanent deal. I was hoping he would be use as back up, maybe he wanted game time.

i can recall the u20s finishing 11th but the likes of mckenzie is away to St. Andrews I herd also. Surely they’ll be more signings to come. 

Guest AberhillEnd
2 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

do we have anyone left from the u20s anyways? That’s cammy Dow away to crossgates on a permanent deal. I was hoping he would be use as back up, maybe he wanted game time.

i can recall the u20s finishing 11th but the likes of mckenzie is away to St. Andrews I herd also. Surely they’ll be more signings to come. 

Walls, Healey, Cunningham & Anderson ?

1 minute ago, AberhillEnd said:

Possibly ? Don't know much about him tbh

Jack Healy came back from loan to East Stirling in transfer window and Adam Mansouri replaced him there. Prior to that he was with under20’s.

4 hours ago, AberhillEnd said:

Was reported that Crawford had his budget before season tickets went on sale. They probably base it on last season's figures.

And were last seasons figures based on last season’s prices????

2 minutes ago, Another The Other Chairman said:

These are just pointless questions. You are saying nothing.

Being mid-table doesn’t mean there are no players capable playing in the first team.

The under 20’s were a very young team last year ie 17/18 year olds. Doubt if they would be ready to are the step up.

32 minutes ago, Another The Other Chairman said:

These are just pointless questions. You are saying nothing.

Being mid-table doesn’t mean there are no players capable playing in the first team.

The point I am trying to make is we need more experienced players as well some younger ones.Not a team filled with under 20 players we don’t know will be good enough to make the step up .

Guest AberhillEnd
7 minutes ago, troy said:

The point I am trying to make is we need more experienced players as well some younger ones.Not a team filled with under 20 players we don’t know will be good enough to make the step up .

Well we do have Fleming, Murdoch, Slattery, Mercer, Millar, McManus, Trouten, Shepherd. Plenty of experience their but yeah, a few more wouldn't go amiss.

20 minutes ago, troy said:

We have experienced players. Any new signings are unlikely to be inexperienced youngsters. Any U20s in the squad will be there because the manager feels they are good enough. 
We are nowhere near having “ a team filled with u20 players”

6 hours ago, troy said:

I did hear a director say we have some great under 20s players who could play in the first team.

Where did our under 20s players finish in their league ? 

And what was your response? 

21 minutes ago, AberhillEnd said:

Well we do have Fleming, Murdoch, Slattery, Mercer, Millar, McManus, Trouten, Shepherd. Plenty of experience their but yeah, a few more wouldn't go amiss.

You mention 8 players who have experience, Murdoch, McManus and Trouten missed large parts of last season through injury so that makes it 5 experience players if they are not fully injury free yet and any further injuries or suspensions.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

And what was your response? 

I asked if their were any signings lined up.He replied that players were still under contract at that point.I then said I hope your looking at players for the midfield.I was then told their were good players in the under 20s that could play there.My feeling at that point was we were not going to be making many signings ,but that’s only my opinion.

Nathan Laird has been released from the U20’s as well and has joined Thornton Hibs!!!
I think some of the conjecture about the U20’s is coming from the fact that some will be in the 1st Team Squad and some aren’t going to be good enough, quite a few have now turned 20 and have subsequently been released, obviously not fitting into Crawford’s plans or not being at the level required!!!
When the U20’s were set up Tony McMinn said the aim was to try and get at least one or two a season into the 1st Team Squad and that has been achieved, Liam Newton and Jamie Allen being the stand outs and that it isn’t going to be a conveyer belt of continual talent, there is only going to be one or two at a time with the talent to “step up”, that is where the worry from fans is being expressed, that if we are over relying on the kids, some of which through no fault of their own, won’t actually be good enough, we will struggle!!!
That is where the worry of Crawford saying he is only bringing in 4 or 5 players (after 18 being released) and filling the squad with U20’s is coming from!!!
Hopefully he is going to be utilising the Loan market to its fullest potential!!!

Must admit that a few years ago,I saw Nathan Laird as an up and coming no nonsense centre half.Last season I saw him play for Thornton Hibs in the 15-0 debacle.

With regard to recruitment,there appears to be vacancies all around especially in defence with a 19 year old replacing the experienced 2 Higgins and Dunlop.

With ,I think,9 players aged 20 or under currently in the squad, a few more experienced players would not go amiss.