The East Fife Thread

21 minutes ago, Rob Smith said:

Apologies, I’ve read your original post again and it’s you that should stand corrected. As Mon_The _Fife quite rightly says, you have dismissed the players you told us not to dismiss!! 😂😂😂😂

Specsavers are doing special offers just now

2 hours ago, BlackandGauld said:

I didn’t create the rumour about Darren to Celtic nor did I create the one about this Austin guy, I’ve never even heard of him. I was sent it in a fans group chat I’m in.

So you took gossip from a private group chat and put it on a public forum? Right, got you now. 

I don't think having concerns about where we are at the moment is being "disrespectful" to the current squad. At the end of the day, I'm not sure anyone can argue that we're stronger than we were last year. We've lost Long, Watson, Agnew, no longer have Hamilton to grab the goals from the season's start, all the other loan signings are gone and now Wallace is gone (is he? Nothing official from the club yet). McManus, Mercer and Steele are all decent signings in my view, but the rest aren't strengthening the squad in the slightest though I'm ready to be proven wrong.  We're entering into the league season with a keeper that hasn't played much football at all over the past 2 years, no natural left back, a centre half pairing that I have some question marks about, no real creativity in the centre of the park and a striker pairing containing someone who struggled to make a dent after coming up from the Lowland League and as much as I love Kev, can we really be expecting him to score 10-15 goals this year? Then a glance at the rest of the league, it's even stronger than last year:

• Airdrieonians finished above us before anyway, and are signings players like Frizzell, Kouider-Aissa, Easton, they're going to be strong.
  • Alloa relegated of course but with players like Scougall, Trouten and big Andy Graham, I'd suspect they're going to be top half this year even with Ferguson at the helm. 
  • Clyde potentially a team that will be towards the bottom half again but with Goodwillie they have a player that can get them points out of nothing - something we are lacking
  • Cove are signings players that were at County last year and were already better than us last year. 
  • Dumbarton another team likely to be bottom half, but I think the ownership situation over there is starting to look a lot better and there's a real air of positivity. We'd also take players like Buchanan and McKee. They have a defence that can hold on when they need to, I'm not convinced we do. 
  • Falkirk speaks for itself, they're just better than us.
  • Montrose have proven for a number of seasons that they are better than us.
  • Peterhead probably another bottom half side, find them a bit difficult to predict.
  • Queens Park potentially favourites for the league.

Looking at the above, I struggle to see how we finish anything above 7th with the current squad and frankly I think we're actually one of the favourites for relegation. We also have to factor in that QP getting their investment, teams like Kelty and Cove entering the league structure, we may have to readjust expectations from safe midtable L1 side. Ultimately, with our utterly crap ownership situation, we are never really going to grow any further than what we are now (not that I think we'd all of a sudden go shooting up the leagues if we were fan-owned or otherwise, but it's nonetheless a hindrance we could do without). This season may well be the beginning of a realignment to us becoming a full on L1/L2 yoyo club. 

Hopefully I'm proven wrong by further signings before the end of August. 

Edited by Big Fifer

Wonderful display today but really does bother me those “fans” of ours happy to accept a draw with a lesser team than us. Queen’s Park were near the bottom of league 2 5 mins ago and now we are wanting pitch invasions for a draw with them, cmon guys we deserve better than this and DY

Looked back to when Hampden was sold.  Reports from various agencies seem to confirm  QP had all debts wiped out and received £5.1m for the sale.

Yes they are developing Lesser Hampden and it’s anybody’s guess who is helping fund that but that is the spending power we need to compete against.

QP we’re quite good today and will undoubtedly spend to get better.  It will be quite a while before their board need to worry about the cost of a professional  set-up balanced  against the income from semi- professional attendances.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is Ryan Wallace just going to sit out this season, or do you expect he'll get released at some point? Seems mad that not much is being said or done about that situation, surely on too much of a wage to be sat doing nothing?

Agree with this. Sure I saw on Twitter he said he was finished with footy. Get the wages and get someone decent in to lead the line properly 

34 minutes ago, BlackandGauld said:

Why aM I being called out on GDOG podcast for starting a rumour about Jordan Austin? I’m only going by what I’m told yet now I’m the scapegoat. 

It’s the price you pay for passing on what was obviously just nonsense.  Stop and think in future.

11 hours ago, Another The Other Chairman said:

It’s the price you pay for passing on what was obviously just nonsense.  Stop and think in future.

It’s a community forum in which I’m perfectly entitaled to pass on any info I get. This is from the same reliable source that said last year Anton was going to Falkirk and that Wallace was out for the season. Read the room, mate. 

It’s a community forum in which I’m perfectly entitaled to pass on any info I get. This is from the same reliable source that said last year Anton was going to Falkirk and that Wallace was out for the season. Read the room, mate. 

That’s plenty.