The East Fife Thread

23 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Out of interest, did you guys punt Long or was it his decision to leave? I know Jordan Hart is taking some time away from football - but if you gave me the option of Long, Hart or Gallacher then I'd have Long and Hart before Gal every day of the week.

If you could combine the strengths of Long and Hart together I think you would have a decent enough keeper. However, their individual weaknesses made it a potential area for improvement, but I’m not too sure Gallacher is that player. From what I can find Gallacher has only played 14 games in the last 3 seasons and that would be a red flag for me.

When I went and looked at some of the numbers they confirmed my thoughts on both keepers. Hart and Long both conceded roughly the same amount of goals per 90 minutes (1.45 vs 1.40), although Hart has a small sample size (649 minutes). However, East Fife had the second highest shots against and the highest xG shots against in the league last season. Basically they give up a lot of high quantity, high quality chances per game. I thought Long was very good at making reaction saves from close range. 

Long conceded 0.25 headed goals per 90, while Hart was ranked second in the league for conceding goals from outside the box per 90. This would support what most fans eyes would show them. Long wasn’t particularly good at dealing with cross balls. This is further supported by Long being ranked 9th for leaving his line (Hart was ranked 2nd). While, I always believed that Hart was too easily beaten by shots from distance. 

I didn’t bother looking at their distribution, but my opinion both were pretty poor and Long didn’t particularly want to be involved with the ball at his feet. Potentially another reason that he is no longer at the club.

Anyway, the goalkeeper I would like to see come in is Jamie Sneddon  on a season long loan from Partick Thistle. He would be a significant upgrade on both Long and Hart. With Partick bringing in highly rated Harry Stone on loan from Hearts I think Sneddon will be second choice once the league starts so it might be worth a call. 

Edited by 7 Eleven

Have to admit Brett Long was a bit of a favourite of mine over the years. It does make you wonder with all these flawed goalkeepers, who don't seem to improve with us, how much blame may be levelled at our goalkeeper coach, is such a post not a luxury at this level?

I've said previously, a need a, big, no nonsense defender, something we've needed Young's whole tenure. A keeper to replace Long, a Midfielder who can add goals/dangerous at set pieces to replace Agnew & we never did replace the goals of Hamilton & last season just petered out after the winter shut down.

I'm hoping the gaffer sees these weaknesses also, it maybe we're waiting to hear from a few players who are waiting to see what else is on the table, or have our eye on loanees, we can't play trialists in the cup either. I also feel with Agnew away & Swanson injured, this should be the time for Liam Watt to step up.

It may well be by the time the league kicks off, things are looking rosy, but as things stand, I feel we're going to be in a three-team mini league with (probably) Dumbarton & Clyde, & they both have in McGeever & Buchanan a central defensive partnership, or in Goodwillie, a proven goalscorer, things we lack.  

Maybe the clubs financial situation isn't as rosy as what people think and we've had to cut our cloth accordingly? Many eyebrows were raised when we lost 2 very capable keepers and then we lost both Agnew and Watson to league rivals. The squad is all over the place tbh. 

As it stands we're in a relegation battle, no doubt about it but there's time yet and hopefully by the time the league campaign starts we've strengthened our squad. Never heard anything about Swanson so I'd imagine he's out for a while. 

Much, much improved performance tonight and had it not been for being short of a goal scorer and very poor refereeing, we could have and should have taken something from the match. Although the goalkeeper was not convincing, defensively the team played exceptionally well barring a mistake from Dunlop allowing the opposition to get in behind him to score. Both full backs were good, Higgins very steady at the back, midfield lacks the killer pass though. Denholm worked hard, probably his best game in a while and Brown made his presence felt up top but had to contend with Charlie Mulgrew dropping to the ground each time anyone went near but it is windy down at Bayview!!!
The referee, well the less said the better, turned 3 decent East Fife penalty claims down, booked 4 East Fife players and no United players oddly enough. Wouldn’t be confident for the season if I was a United supporter unless of course they get that same referee often enough.

ps no Wallace, Murdoch or Swanson tonight.

16 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

Much, much improved performance tonight and had it not been for being short of a goal scorer and very poor refereeing, we could have and should have taken something from the match. Although the goalkeeper was not convincing, defensively the team played exceptionally well barring a mistake from Dunlop allowing the opposition to get in behind him to score. Both full backs were good, Higgins very steady at the back, midfield lacks the killer pass though. Denholm worked hard, probably his best game in a while and Brown made his presence felt up top but had to contend with Charlie Mulgrew dropping to the ground each time anyone went near but it is windy down at Bayview!!!
The referee, well the less said the better, turned 3 decent East Fife penalty claims down, booked 4 East Fife players and no United players oddly enough. Wouldn’t be confident for the season if I was a United supporter unless of course they get that same referee often enough.

ps no Wallace, Murdoch 

Was pleased and more confident for the future after tonight.  What a difference from the Arbroath and Kelty games. I'm astonished  Muir continues to referee games he is without any doubt the most consistently terrible  official in League football 

I didn't see the first two games but from what I've heard of them, last night was a big improvement. Maybe we're just going to be shite away from home and good at home again this season?

Good performances all round last night but special mention for Pat Slattery. I thought that was one of his best games for us. Bit of a compliment to him that they seemed to be throwing everything down our left hand side first half and looked like they stopped doing that in the second.

1 hour ago, WhoAmI said:

How big a mistake was it to let Craig Watson to go? Seems to be playing very well in a decent Airdrie team. Maybe he needed to be a regular starter.

Did we let him go or did he leave of his own accord.  Either way still think he was a bombscare. A legend in his own head

2 hours ago, flyfifer48 said:

Did we let him go or did he leave of his own accord.  Either way still think he was a bombscare. A legend in his own head

He was let go and talking about bombscares have you seen some of the goals we have conceded so far this season!!!!!!