The East Fife Thread

1 hour ago, East Fife is best said:

Paul Paton on PLZ Soccer today saying he now wants to move to part time football

Would be the sort of older head addition in the Kev mould who could be an excellent edition to help that centre mid position

Think he’s not got to the heights he was when he was in the premiership but would be a cracking signing at the level to a marquee signing when we had Scott Robinson in the middle of the park but at the moment I would have Davidson and Agnew as they are signed and he’s free-agent now so wouldn’t say no to as it’s another centre midfielder if any got injured. Another player that also released from the same club is Callum Smith thought he done ok at Airdrie onloan last year but I’m sure manager has players he has his mind on that he wants to bring in tbh.

Edited by Cambuslang Fifer

Of course nobody really knows when we'll be playing, but it could be an interesting market this summer. Clubs will have likely lost a fair chunk of cash with the lack of games at the end of the season, and if some leagues do end up hibernating, there could be far better players looking for PT deals all of a sudden. Wasn't there meant to be a vote on this yesterday? Maybe Budge's mystery bonus cash ball delayed that. 

Any further news/update on Dunsmore, Dowds and Watson? Think it's now safe to assume that Baker and Hunter are off. Wish them both well as it never really got going for either of them. Felt bad for Hunter in particular when I felt he was thrown right in the deep end against Raith at home.

On 29/05/2020 at 20:43, steakngravy said:

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

Any further news/update on Dunsmore, Dowds and Watson? Think it's now safe to assume that Baker and Hunter are off. Wish them both well as it never really got going for either of them. Felt bad for Hunter in particular when I felt he was thrown right in the deep end against Raith at home.

Understand that 4 clubs have made contact with Dowds.His desire to try full-time football is tempered by the fact that he has an excellent banking job.Big decision for him to make.

Forthat particular game v Raith,neither Davidson or Dunlop were available ,and with Murdoch and Watson in the back 4, there was a distinct lack of cover in mid-field. Unfortunately Lewis Hunter was not up to the task on the day.

Noticed that Rory Currie had been released by Hearts. Thought he did well for EF when on loan a couple of seasons ago. Perhaps a possibility, if he is fit.

On 01/06/2020 at 11:33, Life on Marrs? said:

You may well be correct. However you cannot fault the quality & effort of his team. The coach can prepare the team to a point, but you cannot legislate for individual errors, or injuries. We've proved on or day, we can compete with better ranked teams than ourselves, the difficulty is doing it consistently.

It's certainly been more exciting under DY, than I've seen in the past (and I include twice when I've seen us on a procession towards titles), you never know what to expect & we've a team of characters, who've grown together, its not that long ago since we were in the third tier without a player on our books, we've come a long way, on a journey that started under Gary Naysmith. Player & management consistency have contributed greatly, along with hard work from the board. The players certainly seem happy to sign for this club/manager.

Where can we go? If you'd said 10 months ago, both Arbroath & Alloa would survive in the Championship, you'd have been laughed at, are they bigger than East Fife? No, further on, yes. Dumbarton survived for several seasons at that level, they all give us hope we can also. Baby steps though, I certainly think missing out on a play off again, would be a big failure.

Happy & optimistic (and I'm normally a negative pessimist!).

So perhaps it is part of the maturing of DY that he hasn’t yet found the formula, but has some good ingredients and makes a nice pie so far? It’s certainly good to have a coach that draws players, until the coach leaves. Do you have an assistant coach in place that gets similar respect from the players?

I certainly don’t fault DY for the quality and effort, I just wonder if maybe he tinkers too much sometimes? Perhaps he’s trying to prove something or show something as a de facto application for a higher level job.

The other question would be, if after the next season he finishes in fifth, sixth or seventh, is he still a popular coach, or does he start to wear out his welcome?

21 hours ago, King Kebab said:

And Mercer, I’d take him back now, whether Dunsy re-signs or not, can’t have too much quality in your squad!!! 

Mercer & Dunsmore in the same team? Now you're talking! 2 of my favourite Fifers from the last 5 years.

I'd be inclined to break lockdown rules if that were to happen!

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 18:47, TxRover said:

So perhaps it is part of the maturing of DY that he hasn’t yet found the formula, but has some good ingredients and makes a nice pie so far? It’s certainly good to have a coach that draws players, until the coach leaves. Do you have an assistant coach in place that gets similar respect from the players?

I certainly don’t fault DY for the quality and effort, I just wonder if maybe he tinkers too much sometimes? Perhaps he’s trying to prove something or show something as a de facto application for a higher level job.

The other question would be, if after the next season he finishes in fifth, sixth or seventh, is he still a popular coach, or does he start to wear out his welcome?

Certainly can't be accused of tinkering too much. If anything, doesnt make changes quick enough, or doesnt know how to arrest a slump, thats been our downfall. Another way to look at it though, is he is certainly loyal to his players! If its not broken, don't try to fix it.

A big season for the boss. Get it right & have us up there, he'll surely get a coveted full-time post he's after, another season of missing out, people will be doubting his ability.

Hopefully this philanthropist's donation comes off. I dont know if there's conditions involved, but if every club receives around £50k, that should soften the blow of closed-doors games for us, smaller clubs. That, along with the furlough scheme, should see us to the mooted end of the year, without fans.

Our policy of retaining much of the squad, now looks like a gamble paying off! Hopefully this is not all Pie-in-the-sky!

Hopefully this philanthropist's donation comes off. I dont know if there's conditions involved, but if every club receives around £50k, that should soften the blow of closed-doors games for us, smaller clubs. That, along with the furlough scheme, should see us to the mooted end of the year, without fans.
Our policy of retaining much of the squad, now looks like a gamble paying off! Hopefully this is not all Pie-in-the-sky!
Yeah but that money is supposed to be for testing, not for paying wages.

Got an old East Fife programme from season 1973/74 against Morton,the East Fife team was :-

1) Gorman/McGarr

2) Duncan

3) Clarke

4) McIvor

5) Martis

6) Borthwick

7) Hamilton

8) Love              don't know why I get this it should be an eight.

9) Hegarty

10) McPhee

11) Ritchie

Subs :- Rutherford,O'Connor

This game came after you had beaten Rangers at Ibrox according to the programme,and you also had a new manager in Frank Christie. The score on this occasion didn't go your way as Morton won 1-0. I take it the Waddle brothers were long gone by this time?

3 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

Got an old East Fife programme from season 1973/74 against Morton,the East Fife team was :-

1) Gorman/McGarr

2) Duncan

3) Clarke

4) McIvor

5) Martis

6) Borthwick

7) Hamilton

8) Love              don't know why I get this it should be an eight.

9) Hegarty

10) McPhee

11) Ritchie

Subs :- Rutherford,O'Connor

This game came after you had beaten Rangers at Ibrox according to the programme,and you also had a new manager in Frank Christie. The score on this occasion didn't go your way as Morton won 1-0. I take it the Waddle brothers were long gone by this time?

How did we lose when we were playing with two keepers???

That news could be a game changer at this level specially with us now having a near enough full squad ready and able to go when the league gets started

Could give us a massive advantage over everyone else who have very little players signed atm or have a big squad overhaul to make