The East Fife Thread

2 hours ago, Wee Norrie said:

From the outside looking in Big Fifer, I'm not sure it's the defense that you should have reservations about.  Goals scored against EF is the exact same as the top club Raith,  but the goals scored for EF is 9 less than Raith.  That's why they're currently top of the league.  Is it bad finishing or poor supply from the midfield maybe? 

That's part of it though, we looked rock solid the first quarter, I'm fairly sure we had the best defensive record in the league, but it's just frustrating watching the same sort of issues come creeping back in as it did last season. I think I said a few pages back, a playoff side at this level will have a defence that will bail out the strikers when they're misfiring or a striker force capable of rattling in the goals when the defence is looking rocky. We've not looked like we've had either of late. 

2 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Think it no more than our best 11 is as good as any other best 11 in the league. When injuries happen- or Players play with injury - or like last year when we go on excellent cup runs-we meet problems as we all know any team can beat any team in this league particularly if your best players are missing- carrying injury or loss of form- our squad does not have the depth in quality as others( no criticism just a consequence of resources).

But we need to stand back and appreciate we have achieved a lot in the past few years- when we get beat by Raith everyone( including me) get depressed but we were never close to them for years - now we expect to beat them...

Our nearest comparison should be Montrose- who I always get the impression are good at finding loanees that can make a difference on the field of play( may be wrong)

Far from being all doom and gloom- rather we have a fine team and want them to play to their full potential ...

Of course, and I am perhaps coming across a bit negative, I too remember years of bumbling about in Division 3. Christ we've had some dross over the years at Bayview. But part of being a more successful team is setting the high standards we've seen at the start of this season, and I'm fairly sure in the dressing room they won't all be saying "ach that was good fun at the beginning but we're probably happy to get 6th come May". I have no doubt DY and TM are looking to address the issues, and the squad will feel they can improve as well. 

Anyway, hopefully we can get Dunlop back in at the weekend and maybe a signing or two in the next few weeks. Not the easiest market to shop in but I think one or two to freshen us up is needed if we are going to reach 4th come May

I really hope we make some announcements soon and that people we bring in are of some decent quality. Personally I don’t really see loans being the difference between getting to the playoffs and not, wouldn’t say we’ve really had a successful loan since Kerr and suppose you could say Currie to a lesser extent.

Loans and free agents im sure.
Window shuts for league 1 and two on the last day of February
I think as long as a player has been released from his contract before the window shuts, he's free to sign for anyone, anytime after it.
If he got released on say, the 2nd of February, I don't think he could sign for anyone until the next window opened.
I think.

Hopefully this inaction on recruits is due to targets waiting to see what comes up before the deadline. I have faith in DY bringing the right players in, both on ability and attitude. Hopefully we're not left with other's cast offs.

Weve had to rely too much on midfielders scoring for us this last few months. Often we'll are guilty of over egging the pudding and no one seems willing to have a shot. It's fine having creative players, but sometimes we could be more direct & I'm not sure Baker fits that role. Mcguffie, Harkins & a young forward on loan, wouldn't be a bad squad to choose from. 

Hopeful we can arrest the slump, I'm keeping the faith. 

So we've lost Duggan, Boyd and Church in January and secured Baker until the end of the season. Fingers crossed we can get a couple of quality players in to replace them What's the situation regarding Kevin Smith? Is he injured again or absent from last game through illness? I'm still hopeful we can make the play offs if we can sort out our defence and get a good defensive midfielder in. Must win game on Sat against Dumbarton imo

1 hour ago, EFFC1938 said:

So we've lost Duggan, Boyd and Church in January and secured Baker until the end of the season. Fingers crossed we can get a couple of quality players in to replace them What's the situation regarding Kevin Smith? Is he injured again or absent from last game through illness? I'm still hopeful we can make the play offs if we can sort out our defence and get a good defensive midfielder in. Must win game on Sat against Dumbarton imo

The players we have been linked with so far this window make me think that its going to be a Feb signing spree as they have each been from higher divisions. Once the guys who are in higher divisions know if they are featuring the rest of the season or not and the window has closed for Championship and Premiership then League 1 becomes the best option for them.

Look at last season when Dumbarton signed Dom Thomas. Players of that level becoming available to the best party.

Definitely better waiting and then going round the clubs to sign the frozen out guys and blow the league away... (all hypothetical and just what i do on FM)