The East Fife Thread

6 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Been away all weekend so just catching up. Really disappointing start to the season, but it is just the first competitive game and we had a shocker in last year's league cup and still had a fun season. Hopefully we can get the win at the weekend, but we're definitely not qualifying from the group now so lets just focus on getting the team up to fitness for the start of the league campaign.

Oh, and let's sign a left back and centre half. 

^^ this is so positive. 

Find it amusing that the chap Higgins is getting the blame for East Fife’s poor run of form it surely can’t be solely his fault that your losing goals, the last time I seen East Fife was the last derby but certainly Long and Agnew were shadow of the players they were in the previous 2 games that I watched. Long may it continue as we may have a chance of beating you more than once this season lol

Cannae be bothered with this "must win the next game" nonsense. 

The only competition in which we may have an impact, other than a wee cup run, is the SPFL 1. We are a fairly small club competing with nine others, several of whom have greater resources than us. If we're going to be successful in the league it will be because we play well together as a team and we'll need a bit of time to do that. I think we have a good core of players who know each other  and who might just blend well over the season.

Some of us may remember the Jim Moffat promotion winning team that had no stars or really stand out players but who blended together fantastically well as a team. If we're going to reach the playoffs or better then that's what we need to happen again.

Incidentally going on to public forums and slagging individual named players is unlikely to bring about any improvement though criticising tactics is fair game.

The only competition in which we may have an impact, other than a wee cup run, is the SPFL 1. We are a fairly small club competing with nine others, several of whom have greater resources than us. If we're going to be successful in the league it will be because we play well together as a team and we'll need a bit of time to do that. I think we have a good core of players who know each other  and who might just blend well over the season.
Some of us may remember the Jim Moffat promotion winning team that had no stars or really stand out players but who blended together fantastically well as a team. If we're going to reach the playoffs or better then that's what we need to happen again.
Incidentally going on to public forums and slagging individual named players is unlikely to bring about any improvement though criticising tactics is fair game.

This cannot be any closer to the truth [emoji1419]

That's a fair assessment and I would agree with most of that to be honest. But I cannot help but feel that the reason "we're a fairly small club", so to speak, is because we choose to be with lack of ambition and have kept on this tedious "this will do" attitude which will have dissuaded locals from attending future matches. Just my opinion but there you go. Admittedly, I haven't been to any of the pre-season games this summer but I'm not exactly won over with what I've heard so far. A lot of difficult teams to play against this season.

7 hours ago, monthefife said:
10 hours ago, faither said:

That's a fair assessment and I would agree with most of that to be honest. But I cannot help but feel that the reason "we're a fairly small club", so to speak, is because we choose to be with lack of ambition and have kept on this tedious "this will do" attitude which will have dissuaded locals from attending future matches. Just my opinion but there you go. Admittedly, I haven't been to any of the pre-season games this summer but I'm not exactly won over with what I've heard so far. A lot of difficult teams to play against this season.

What would show ambition in your opinion? Not a criticism, i'm just intrigued

For me the club the club has done as much as i would expect them to. We come from a region with a number of sporting teams competing for fans hard earned, even with a promotion pushing team i wouldnt expect a weekly turnout too far above 6/700ish (obviously a wee bit higher for the final games).. if you cant regularly get bums on seats by building title winning teams, then what more can you do? Its not lack of ambition, its just economics. With the plastic pitch, and the amount of community engagement i have seen since it went in, i actually think the club are doing well at trying to encourage people to come along to Bayview.

I dont link ambition to mad unsustainable spending either. The Lee Murray/Willie Gray days were good banter, but we still didnt break into the championship and if anything the aftermath of both held us in the basement league for longer than i would have liked as we recovered.

I dont need the board coming out at the start of each season making bold predictions or setting ridiculous targets. I only have 2 words for anyone who thinks this shows ambition, helps fans, or drives the players on... Roaring Back 

I dont think anything above means i have a 'small club' or 'this will do'  mentality. I  want them to push on every year. So far as the recruitment went this year i was delighted (we paid a fee to bring Ryan Wallace back, when did we last do that?) So far as keeping the coaching and management team in place, i was delighted with that aswell, and i do genuinely think DY will move onto bigger and better things than East Fife.

Realistically we lost to an organised Cowden team, who played a text book cup game when you are up against a higher ranked team. Get your goal early (which btw if i had to point fingers it would be at the keeper for that, but i wont venture down that avenue) then keep organised defensive shape and hit on the break. You will have days like that. If anything i would rather the team gets these type of games out the system before the league starts. 

Easy to say now, but Montrose have signed Kerr Waddell. Looks like a bit of a coup, and perhaps the fact they're in Angus might help, but that's exactly the kind of signing I'd have loved. 

He’s from Montrose, is a big fan of Montrose and still stays there does he not??

Any local CB’s of the same quality from levenmouth area? [emoji23]

4 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

He’s from Montrose, is a big fan of Montrose and still stays there does he not??

Any local CB’s of the same quality from levenmouth area? emoji23.png

He's from Arbroath and supports Arbroath.

I agree benefits no one personalising criticism. I do believe fair game to talk about positions and I cant believe that the manager having watched the past few games will not see improvement- change required in our CB’s combination!

Now before anyone says “one game in”- I have watched the friendlies and of the same view. Or more alarmingly from Feb- May last year the league stats read- Played 14 , won 1; Points to be won 42- points actually won 8;-so I can be bothered to win the next game actually!- we need a win before the league campaign starts to get some sort of confidence.

I believe the manager must see what many of us see- think that win will come on Saturday by the way if he makes a few tweaks as i believe we have a better squad than last year with the exception of the defence...