The East Fife Thread

21 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Cheers tazz1903. Feels good to be 3rd. Play-offs to look forward to. 

Cheers Scary , don't get to upset when I come back and rip the pish , when you LOSE OUT AGAIN !!!!!!  Roaring back #3  ;) 

21 hours ago, Frank conner said:

Behave if it wasn't for your freak run you would have been in serious bother.  You have to love some of the shite!  If the Fife sign one or two you guys will be contenders you'll be fighting relegation for sure.

See you next season Frank :thumsup2 Enjoy the play offs ? :lol:

20 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

No. I can see why it's something that's being put in the 'positive' column. Our record against Raith before this season was fucking shite and getting grannied last season in derbies was pish. Considering how long we'd gone without beating you, getting those back to back derby wins was obviously a bigger thing than it would normally be.

It's been a strange season for East Fife. Our start was a bit wobbly but once we'd settled we were looking very, very good up until Dublin, and have, truthfully, been absolutely shite since then. That clearly means that end of season reflections on Darren Young and the players have to include the good with the bad.

We're clearly not as good as the first part of the season made us look but by the same token, I don't think we're actually as bad as the last 16 games have been. The truth's in the middle.

It took us a little while to get going but up until February, I thought we were very impressive. We had a settled side, looked strong in every part of the pitch, were playing good football, had sorted out some of the old defensive ghosts from last season, and were absolutely cruising towards the play-offs and our highest league finish in over two decades.

Immediately after Dublin, we were hit with 6 games in three weeks and also suffered our first serious injury/illness crisis of the season. I could definitely overlook / forgive our poor form during that spell. But we took a bit of a knock and have just never gotten back up off the floor. Some of that was bad luck, some of it Young has to take responsibility for and some of it, the players have to take responsibility for.

In terms of bad luck, that run of games wasn't helpful. At and around the same time, we picked up injuries to Craig Watson and Scott Agnew (I'm sure Daryll Meggatt also missed a few games around then). Stewart Murdoch was brought in to replace Watson at right back and was also then immediately injured. It's not as many out as some teams have had but I think it had a big effect on the team. We missed Watson a lot. Not only do we lose him but because of the lack of a natural replacement, we often brought Dunsmore back to RB. I think Dunsmore's not as good a defender as Watson and we also lose his attacking threat further up the pitch. Agnew came back but hasn't looked the same player. Whether it's a fitness issue, his shoulder is still bothering him, or just getting caught up in the general malaise, that was a killer as he really made us tick. Rory Currie also seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

I felt Darren Young tinkered too much with the team unnecessarily during that time. In our good run, the team almost picked itself. Watson, Dunlop, Meggat, Slattery across the back. Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Watt in midfield. Long in goals, and the two upfront were generally rotated a little bit. It worked. Fair enough, some of those players weren't available, but I'd have preferred it if we'd just replaced any missing players with the best alternative rather than shuffle around a winning side. Moving Dunsmore to RB, shifting Meggatt to LB to accommodate Higgins, experimenting with a back 3 to accommodate Higgins, playing Dowds out left for some reason, shifting things around to accommodate Doherty, dropping Liam Watt entirely for a while and playing Slattery on the wing.... all of these felt like mistakes that really disrupted the rhythm of the side.

The attitude of the squad really has to be questioned as well. I get that it's tough to get out a slump but it feels like they just got into this rut and were never able to get out of it. A lot of the players talk about what a good squad it is to be a part of of. Most of them obviously enjoy being there, which is great and probably a big part of why so many signed up for next season but you've got to wonder if there are enough leader types in there. We looked to have so much grit before Dublin, coming form behind to win, hanging on in tough games. but it looks like, collectively, they just weren't able to pick themselves back up once they got knocked down. Which is really dissapointing.

Ultimately, it's the third season in a row that you can pretty much file under 'meh'. I feel like for us, top 4 is a success, bottom two is a failure and neither of those happened. I think there are positive signs though. As has been mentioned, the club seems to be in a pretty stable position, turning a small profit. I think the squad is better than it was last season, and we have quite a few signed up already so there won't be the same squad upheaval we usually see.

Maybe this is just the perennial dumb optimism of the football fan but I honestly think if we can just draw a line under the last 16 games, get a fresh start over the summer, get everyone back to fitness, make a few good signings, we can be stronger next season in what could admittedly be a stronger league next season.

I see where it went wrong.

See the source image

21 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

No. I can see why it's something that's being put in the 'positive' column. Our record against Raith before this season was fucking shite and getting grannied last season in derbies was pish. Considering how long we'd gone without beating you, getting those back to back derby wins was obviously a bigger thing than it would normally be.

It's been a strange season for East Fife. Our start was a bit wobbly but once we'd settled we were looking very, very good up until Dublin, and have, truthfully, been absolutely shite since then. That clearly means that end of season reflections on Darren Young and the players have to include the good with the bad.

We're clearly not as good as the first part of the season made us look but by the same token, I don't think we're actually as bad as the last 16 games have been. The truth's in the middle.

It took us a little while to get going but up until February, I thought we were very impressive. We had a settled side, looked strong in every part of the pitch, were playing good football, had sorted out some of the old defensive ghosts from last season, and were absolutely cruising towards the play-offs and our highest league finish in over two decades.

Immediately after Dublin, we were hit with 6 games in three weeks and also suffered our first serious injury/illness crisis of the season. I could definitely overlook / forgive our poor form during that spell. But we took a bit of a knock and have just never gotten back up off the floor. Some of that was bad luck, some of it Young has to take responsibility for and some of it, the players have to take responsibility for.

In terms of bad luck, that run of games wasn't helpful. At and around the same time, we picked up injuries to Craig Watson and Scott Agnew (I'm sure Daryll Meggatt also missed a few games around then). Stewart Murdoch was brought in to replace Watson at right back and was also then immediately injured. It's not as many out as some teams have had but I think it had a big effect on the team. We missed Watson a lot. Not only do we lose him but because of the lack of a natural replacement, we often brought Dunsmore back to RB. I think Dunsmore's not as good a defender as Watson and we also lose his attacking threat further up the pitch. Agnew came back but hasn't looked the same player. Whether it's a fitness issue, his shoulder is still bothering him, or just getting caught up in the general malaise, that was a killer as he really made us tick. Rory Currie also seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

I felt Darren Young tinkered too much with the team unnecessarily during that time. In our good run, the team almost picked itself. Watson, Dunlop, Meggat, Slattery across the back. Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Watt in midfield. Long in goals, and the two upfront were generally rotated a little bit. It worked. Fair enough, some of those players weren't available, but I'd have preferred it if we'd just replaced any missing players with the best alternative rather than shuffle around a winning side. Moving Dunsmore to RB, shifting Meggatt to LB to accommodate Higgins, experimenting with a back 3 to accommodate Higgins, playing Dowds out left for some reason, shifting things around to accommodate Doherty, dropping Liam Watt entirely for a while and playing Slattery on the wing.... all of these felt like mistakes that really disrupted the rhythm of the side.

The attitude of the squad really has to be questioned as well. I get that it's tough to get out a slump but it feels like they just got into this rut and were never able to get out of it. A lot of the players talk about what a good squad it is to be a part of of. Most of them obviously enjoy being there, which is great and probably a big part of why so many signed up for next season but you've got to wonder if there are enough leader types in there. We looked to have so much grit before Dublin, coming form behind to win, hanging on in tough games. but it looks like, collectively, they just weren't able to pick themselves back up once they got knocked down. Which is really dissapointing.

Ultimately, it's the third season in a row that you can pretty much file under 'meh'. I feel like for us, top 4 is a success, bottom two is a failure and neither of those happened. I think there are positive signs though. As has been mentioned, the club seems to be in a pretty stable position, turning a small profit. I think the squad is better than it was last season, and we have quite a few signed up already so there won't be the same squad upheaval we usually see.

Maybe this is just the perennial dumb optimism of the football fan but I honestly think if we can just draw a line under the last 16 games, get a fresh start over the summer, get everyone back to fitness, make a few good signings, we can be stronger next season in what could admittedly be a stronger league next season.

Christ you must have been bored! 

20 hours ago, basher brash said:

Still 3rd  and yes exactly the big club ! 7th place but it’s ok you beat us twice when’s  the DVD being launched 

Take yer  own advice and go back to the rovers  forum ?  roaring back 3  LOL :lol:

Our aim was to make the play offs and we failed! Don't let a cup run in a Mickey mouse cup deflect from what has been an average at best season! Whilst it was brilliant finally beating the Rovers and beating a few FT teams during the season, I can't help but feel disappointed and pissed off as to how our season has fallen apart and the football has been brutal for months! It looks like it will be a tougher league next season so Young with have to retain and recruit wisely if we've to improve on 7th place.

Well there you go...
purposely stayed quiet all this season after making my feelings about Darren Young quite clear at the start of the campaign.
to finish 7th is an absolute travesty and one that shouldn’t be overlooked in my eyes, other than October - December we have been absolutely stinking for the other 21 months under Darren’s time as manager and the results don’t lie.
we beat rovers twice, fantastic do you think they give a toss whilst they sit in the playoffs tonight? Absolutely not. We got to the semi finals (by default) of a a cup nobody really cares about, knocked out the first round of the league cup and done okay? In the Scottish.
I’ve never come across a set of fans who settle for mediocrity quite like some of the guys on here. Montrose are in the playoffs tonight, MONTROSE!! Why? Because they have a manager who has somewhat of an idea what he’s doing. 1 win in 16 is not good enough at any level of football, we had a very similar run last year and he some how survived and what makes it worse this time around, rather than getting the boot he’s been given another contract.
i suspect I’ll be told I’m an idiot or whatever else by some of the hardcore but deep down everyone knows he’s not good enough and deep down everyone knows this season has turned out to be a failure. As predicted funnily enough, what can I say?
If ever this summed up being a 'not in the know' East Fife fan.
Dreadful 2nd half to the season absolutely. You say beating the Rovers twice means nothing to them. Who gives a shit about them. That meant so much to me who waited 30+ years for that day, then to get it home and away in one season was monumental. 5th or 8th that meant the world so thank you Darren and the team, you'll go down in my history

I do now.
Most odious little man I've encountered on here.

And there's been a few!!![emoji23]

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/four-depart-east-fife-as-darren-young-puts-plans-in-place-for-next-season-1-4921698/amp#click=https://t.co/3hBiTgYJe5

Court, Kane, Linton and Terry all away. No complaints from me on that front, good luck to them all wherever they go, hopefully they can all find a club to play more regularly.

New deals offered to Watson, Meggatt and Sparky. Not a huge fan of Sparky but definitely hope the other two sign up.

Shame about Linton, feel he was always a solid performer when he wasn't injured but there you go. Kane and Terry no surprise and all I can say is thank god Court has gone. 

Only reason I would keep Docherty is for his presence in the dressing room. Apart from that there isn't much reason to keep him. 

Fingers crossed for Watson and Meggat. 

Edited by lukejoaitken

No real surprises there, out of them all I think Kano can maybe feel a bit hard done by, Court wasn't up to it IMHO, Terry was brought in as cover and Linton seemed to be well out if the managers plans over the last couple of months!!!

I would keep the three that are being offered new contracts and the fact that Janny's name is there makes me more optimistic regarding his injury!!!

Marquee signing next please and the worst kept secret at the Noo Bayview can finally be made public at last!!!