The East Fife Thread

As high as 7th? When we finished 6th last season...

We have gone from 6th last year to 7th in the league this year.

We have gone from 42 points last year to 46 points this year.

49 goals scored last year to 49 goals scored this year.

67 goals conceded last year to 56 goals conceded this year.

1st round of challenge cup last year to semi final of challenge cup this year.

4th round last year to 5th round of Scottish cup this year too :)

4 defeats against raith last year to two wins, a draw and a last minute defeat this year.

In my eyes that’s definitely a better season than last years... but I’m maybe just an optimist

Sorry, but for me one win in sixteen is not simply a bad run, it's relegation standards but even then I would think that Brechin and Stenhousemuir have gathered more than one win in their last sixteen. The cup runs and all the stats shown previously don't make up for the performances we have been subject to lately.

We are shipping goals like there is no tomorrow and  not scoring near enough that our amount of corners and shots at goals warrant. Balls are played up the wings to Anton and he deals with them very well but then who is there in the box to take advantage òf them, NOBODY. We have been short of a penalty box goal sniffer for several seasons now and it is not Antons game to be one.

I read in a post that someone was foaming at the mouth with a pairing of Anton and Fash but I am afraid that partnership would not do anything for me. Neither of them is a goal sniffer although I would still take Fash if it was possible.

we need a tall commanding centre half , two full backs, a goal making midfielder, goal scoring midfielders. And an out and out six yard box goal scorer. Not much to ask for .

Well there you go...

purposely stayed quiet all this season after making my feelings about Darren Young quite clear at the start of the campaign.

to finish 7th is an absolute travesty and one that shouldn’t be overlooked in my eyes, other than October - December we have been absolutely stinking for the other 21 months under Darren’s time as manager and the results don’t lie.

we beat rovers twice, fantastic do you think they give a toss whilst they sit in the playoffs tonight? Absolutely not. We got to the semi finals (by default) of a a cup nobody really cares about, knocked out the first round of the league cup and done okay? In the Scottish.

I’ve never come across a set of fans who settle for mediocrity quite like some of the guys on here. Montrose are in the playoffs tonight, MONTROSE!! Why? Because they have a manager who has somewhat of an idea what he’s doing. 1 win in 16 is not good enough at any level of football, we had a very similar run last year and he some how survived and what makes it worse this time around, rather than getting the boot he’s been given another contract.

i suspect I’ll be told I’m an idiot or whatever else by some of the hardcore but deep down everyone knows he’s not good enough and deep down everyone knows this season has turned out to be a failure. As predicted funnily enough, what can I say?

17 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

Sorry, but for me one win in sixteen is not simply a bad run, it's relegation standards but even then I would think that Brechin and Stenhousemuir have gathered more than one win in their last sixteen. The cup runs and all the stats shown previously don't make up for the performances we have been subject to lately.

We are shipping goals like there is no tomorrow and  not scoring near enough that our amount of corners and shots at goals warrant. Balls are played up the wings to Anton and he deals with them very well but then who is there in the box to take advantage òf them, NOBODY. We have been short of a penalty box goal sniffer for several seasons now and it is not Antons game to be one.

I read in a post that someone was foaming at the mouth with a pairing of Anton and Fash but I am afraid that partnership would not do anything for me. Neither of them is a goal sniffer although I would still take Fash if it was possible.

we need a tall commanding centre half , two full backs, a goal making midfielder, goal scoring midfielders. And an out and out six yard box goal scorer. Not much to ask for .

You have struck the nail right on the head, dominate spells in games miss our chances, first time opposition get a corner or a set piece we find ourselves behind. Defending has been so poor for months now. It’s the hope that kills you really thought before Xmas that we looked solid. Manager made changes for changes sake and upset the continuity of the team, when we had a winning formula going. The buck will always stop at the managers door, and the last 13 or 14 league games have been an abject failure. Not sure to be honest If rewarding failure with a 2 year contract is the correct decision from the board.

46 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

Well done finishing 3rd ( Big club ? ) LOL

Behave if it wasn't for your freak run you would have been in serious bother.  You have to love some of the shite!  If the Fife sign one or two you guys will be contenders you'll be fighting relegation for sure.

Held off a couple of weeks to see where you finally finished. Is your season all that great because you beat us? Has young actually been as good as you all made out earlier in the season?

Im not even trolling. Genuinely curious to see what the fife fans think now?

Side note, good to see tazz posting again. Was worried you had fallen foul to a stray chair.

Well there you go...
purposely stayed quiet all this season after making my feelings about Darren Young quite clear at the start of the campaign.
to finish 7th is an absolute travesty and one that shouldn’t be overlooked in my eyes, other than October - December we have been absolutely stinking for the other 21 months under Darren’s time as manager and the results don’t lie.
we beat rovers twice, fantastic do you think they give a toss whilst they sit in the playoffs tonight? Absolutely not. We got to the semi finals (by default) of a a cup nobody really cares about, knocked out the first round of the league cup and done okay? In the Scottish.
I’ve never come across a set of fans who settle for mediocrity quite like some of the guys on here. Montrose are in the playoffs tonight, MONTROSE!! Why? Because they have a manager who has somewhat of an idea what he’s doing. 1 win in 16 is not good enough at any level of football, we had a very similar run last year and he some how survived and what makes it worse this time around, rather than getting the boot he’s been given another contract.
i suspect I’ll be told I’m an idiot or whatever else by some of the hardcore but deep down everyone knows he’s not good enough and deep down everyone knows this season has turned out to be a failure. As predicted funnily enough, what can I say?

A failure would be to be relegated surely? This season hasn’t been a failure by any means.
You speak about relegation form yet we are miles clear of the relegation play offs and never looked like going into it...

Not settling for mediocrity however the way the club is being run is brilliant all things considered.

Yes the form lately has been absolutely shite but it’s been a right journey this season.

We seem to have a load of fans that love us to be doing shite and love speaking out when doing shite but when we are doing well are silent. The getting one up on others pessimistic view is brutal, I wouldn’t be proud of that one at all but that’s my opinion.
You take the good with the bad in football and we are in no position to expect to be going up (look at raith with their expectations and finishing third [emoji23])

We are running at a profit... AGAIN.

I actually like everything about the club just now, yes I wish we won more and got the play offs cause it would be crazy to say otherwise. But the only thing I want sorted is our owners to sell up to someone willing to help us progress.

If we became a community club fans could set up direct debits to help push on and help with player wages (others do this massively). Other owners help by sponsoring the team too and pushing money into the club. (Ours are silent). Other owners use their business to attract players by giving them a job.
If we could just sort that side of the club out I think we could push on more.

However I think a few will be leaving which we will find out over the weekend no doubt. We will have a few guys ready to come in and sign their contracts after agreeing deals and let’s push on next season.

Trying to get one up on others by saying Darren isn’t the man for the job isn’t going to change that he will be the manager next season.
Let’s get behind the team, let’s try and bring a friend to every game next season to help boost the coffers which could mean an extra January signing to help us get higher up the league.

Just think if 200 of us brought a pal at £15 a head that’s £3000 a game extra.
That’s £57,000 for the season.
That probable equates to around 4/5 extra players wages.

If everyone does their part which I’m not saying people aren’t, but if we all push and do that then we can have a club we are proud of.

Let’s hope we do amazing in 2019/20!

MON THE FIFE!

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Is your season all that great because you beat us? 

No. I can see why it's something that's being put in the 'positive' column. Our record against Raith before this season was fucking shite and getting grannied last season in derbies was pish. Considering how long we'd gone without beating you, getting those back to back derby wins was obviously a bigger thing than it would normally be.

Has young actually been as good as you all made out earlier in the season?

It's been a strange season for East Fife. Our start was a bit wobbly but once we'd settled we were looking very, very good up until Dublin, and have, truthfully, been absolutely shite since then. That clearly means that end of season reflections on Darren Young and the players have to include the good with the bad.

We're clearly not as good as the first part of the season made us look but by the same token, I don't think we're actually as bad as the last 16 games have been. The truth's in the middle.

It took us a little while to get going but up until February, I thought we were very impressive. We had a settled side, looked strong in every part of the pitch, were playing good football, had sorted out some of the old defensive ghosts from last season, and were absolutely cruising towards the play-offs and our highest league finish in over two decades.

Immediately after Dublin, we were hit with 6 games in three weeks and also suffered our first serious injury/illness crisis of the season. I could definitely overlook / forgive our poor form during that spell. But we took a bit of a knock and have just never gotten back up off the floor. Some of that was bad luck, some of it Young has to take responsibility for and some of it, the players have to take responsibility for.

In terms of bad luck, that run of games wasn't helpful. At and around the same time, we picked up injuries to Craig Watson and Scott Agnew (I'm sure Daryll Meggatt also missed a few games around then). Stewart Murdoch was brought in to replace Watson at right back and was also then immediately injured. It's not as many out as some teams have had but I think it had a big effect on the team. We missed Watson a lot. Not only do we lose him but because of the lack of a natural replacement, we often brought Dunsmore back to RB. I think Dunsmore's not as good a defender as Watson and we also lose his attacking threat further up the pitch. Agnew came back but hasn't looked the same player. Whether it's a fitness issue, his shoulder is still bothering him, or just getting caught up in the general malaise, that was a killer as he really made us tick. Rory Currie also seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

I felt Darren Young tinkered too much with the team unnecessarily during that time. In our good run, the team almost picked itself. Watson, Dunlop, Meggat, Slattery across the back. Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Watt in midfield. Long in goals, and the two upfront were generally rotated a little bit. It worked. Fair enough, some of those players weren't available, but I'd have preferred it if we'd just replaced any missing players with the best alternative rather than shuffle around a winning side. Moving Dunsmore to RB, shifting Meggatt to LB to accommodate Higgins, experimenting with a back 3 to accommodate Higgins, playing Dowds out left for some reason, shifting things around to accommodate Doherty, dropping Liam Watt entirely for a while and playing Slattery on the wing.... all of these felt like mistakes that really disrupted the rhythm of the side.

The attitude of the squad really has to be questioned as well. I get that it's tough to get out a slump but it feels like they just got into this rut and were never able to get out of it. A lot of the players talk about what a good squad it is to be a part of of. Most of them obviously enjoy being there, which is great and probably a big part of why so many signed up for next season but you've got to wonder if there are enough leader types in there. We looked to have so much grit before Dublin, coming form behind to win, hanging on in tough games. but it looks like, collectively, they just weren't able to pick themselves back up once they got knocked down. Which is really dissapointing.

Ultimately, it's the third season in a row that you can pretty much file under 'meh'. I feel like for us, top 4 is a success, bottom two is a failure and neither of those happened. I think there are positive signs though. As has been mentioned, the club seems to be in a pretty stable position, turning a small profit. I think the squad is better than it was last season, and we have quite a few signed up already so there won't be the same squad upheaval we usually see.

Maybe this is just the perennial dumb optimism of the football fan but I honestly think if we can just draw a line under the last 16 games, get a fresh start over the summer, get everyone back to fitness, make a few good signings, we can be stronger next season in what could admittedly be a stronger league next season.

Tonight's Awards:
E.F.S.T. Player of the Year - DARYLL MEGGATT
Player's Player of the Year - DARYLL MEGGATT
E.F.S.C. Player of the Year - DARYLL MEGGATT
E.F.S.C Young Player of the Year - BRETT LONG
E.F. Director's Player of the Year - ROSS DAVIDSON
E.F.C.F.C. Player of the Year - ANTON DOWDS
Top Goalscorer - ANTON DOWDS
Goal of the Season - AARON DUNSMORE

2 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

Well done finishing 3rd ( Big club ? ) LOL

Still 3rd  and yes exactly the big club ! 7th place but it’s ok you beat us twice when’s  the DVD being launched 

Edited by basher brash

Well put Gordon. Don't want to qoute your rather large post but appreciate the response.

I don't hold a strong opinion on the fife. Weirdly have a soft spot for you, until you finally beat us of course. I can't see how this season is a success other than beating us and staying in the league now though. You were well within second spot for quite a while. From that position it does seem a poor campaign to finish 7th.

The second half of the season has been unacceptable and totally outdid all of the hard work we did in the first half. Had this season carried in for another few weeks, I have no doubt we would end up in the relegation mix. Serious questions have to be asked as to why the same squad of players could let their form drop off a cliff.

I’m not advocating for change in manager but if we start next season the way we have ended this, then some big decisions need to be made.

I still feel that the squad we have signed up for next season should be capable of challenging for the play offs with a few more additions.

It's been a strange season for East Fife. Our start was a bit wobbly but once we'd settled we were looking very, very good up until Dublin, and have, truthfully, been absolutely shite since then. That clearly means that end of season reflections on Darren Young and the players have to include the good with the bad.
We're clearly not as good as the first part of the season made us look but by the same token, I don't think we're actually as bad as the last 16 games have been. The truth's in the middle.
It took us a little while to get going but up until February, I thought we were very impressive. We had a settled side, looked strong in every part of the pitch, were playing good football, had sorted out some of the old defensive ghosts from last season, and were absolutely cruising towards the play-offs and our highest league finish in over two decades.
Immediately after Dublin, we were hit with 6 games in three weeks and also suffered our first serious injury/illness crisis of the season. I could definitely overlook / forgive our poor form during that spell. But we took a bit of a knock and have just never gotten back up off the floor. Some of that was bad luck, some of it Young has to take responsibility for and some of it, the players have to take responsibility for.
In terms of bad luck, that run of games wasn't helpful. At and around the same time, we picked up injuries to Craig Watson and Scott Agnew (I'm sure Daryll Meggatt also missed a few games around then). Stewart Murdoch was brought in to replace Watson at right back and was also then immediately injured. It's not as many out as some teams have had but I think it had a big effect on the team. We missed Watson a lot. Not only do we lose him but because of the lack of a natural replacement, we often brought Dunsmore back to RB. I think Dunsmore's not as good a defender as Watson and we also lose his attacking threat further up the pitch. Agnew came back but hasn't looked the same player. Whether it's a fitness issue, his shoulder is still bothering him, or just getting caught up in the general malaise, that was a killer as he really made us tick. Rory Currie also seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.
I felt Darren Young tinkered too much with the team unnecessarily during that time. In our good run, the team almost picked itself. Watson, Dunlop, Meggat, Slattery across the back. Dunsmore, Davidson, Agnew, Watt in midfield. Long in goals, and the two upfront were generally rotated a little bit. It worked. Fair enough, some of those players weren't available, but I'd have preferred it if we'd just replaced any missing players with the best alternative rather than shuffle around a winning side. Moving Dunsmore to RB, shifting Meggatt to LB to accommodate Higgins, experimenting with a back 3 to accommodate Higgins, playing Dowds out left for some reason, shifting things around to accommodate Doherty, dropping Liam Watt entirely for a while and playing Slattery on the wing.... all of these felt like mistakes that really disrupted the rhythm of the side.
The attitude of the squad really has to be questioned as well. I get that it's tough to get out a slump but it feels like they just got into this rut and were never able to get out of it. A lot of the players talk about what a good squad it is to be a part of of. Most of them obviously enjoy being there, which is great and probably a big part of why so many signed up for next season but you've got to wonder if there are enough leader types in there. We looked to have so much grit before Dublin, coming form behind to win, hanging on in tough games. but it looks like, collectively, they just weren't able to pick themselves back up once they got knocked down. Which is really dissapointing.
Ultimately, it's the third season in a row that you can pretty much file under 'meh'. I feel like for us, top 4 is a success, bottom two is a failure and neither of those happened. I think there are positive signs though. As has been mentioned, the club seems to be in a pretty stable position, turning a small profit. I think the squad is better than it was last season, and we have quite a few signed up already so there won't be the same squad upheaval we usually see.
Maybe this is just the perennial dumb optimism of the football fan but I honestly think if we can just draw a line under the last 16 games, get a fresh start over the summer, get everyone back to fitness, make a few good signings, we can be stronger next season in what could admittedly be a stronger league next season.

Very well put.

Good summary and I think generally in line with what many of the fans think.The only thing I would add it is clear than we have a thin squad and when we get injuries it affects us badly.

I wasn’t at the game yesterday but really thought we would win! 1 win in 16 is both frightening and horrible. We have to start well next year. Would love to hear what the managers reflections and learnings over this period have been.