The East Fife Thread

Just now, rob71 said:

East Fife’s best player imo in a poor team performance against Forfar last Saturday.

Cheers. I've watched him with our Reserves when I've had the chance. He was also pretty good in our Colts run in the Irn Bru Cup. From what I could see he looked technically good but a bit...lightweight? Certainly compared to players like Turnbull and Hastie who have broken into our first team this season.

Curious to know how he'd get on against defenders who wouldn't hesitate booting about the park.

Guess Long and Dowds are injured as neither in the squad tonight

Be a long night without those 2

Murdoch also out, that one Forfar game certainly did a number on us!!!

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Murdoch also out, that one Forfar game certainly did a number on us!!!

Does the controversial topic about plastic pitches causing injury hold any bearing on the station park surface.  We have been fairly fortunate all season with very few injuries. Now they seem to be all coming at once. Make or break time in the season coming up, 4 of our next 5 fixtures at Bayview,and 3 of those games against bottom 3 teams. Absolutely no continuity in team selection has corresponded with our worst run of results since early season. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that our long unbeaten run earlier in the season came about when we used the same 12 or 13 players. However injuries have hampered every team throughout the season . Still more than happy to be in top four especially after the terrible start we had to the season. I’m pretty confident if we get our more influential players back on the park we’ll be just fine.

3 hours ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Not been the best communication between the club and the fans on the injury news. Any knowledge of timescales?!

Communication like that to the fans is also communication to the opposition.  Also, as the injuries happened on Saturday, then playing again on Tuesday it doesn't exactly come up as a priority 'to do' task, I would imagine?

4 hours ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Not been the best communication between the club and the fans on the injury news. Any knowledge of timescales?!

What do you want us to say Doug? The following is not aimed at you just me venting my spleen!

Currie & Murdoch are not our players so their parent clubs decide what we can & cannot say about them not us. If a player is ill he's ill end of!

Max Currie the Stranraer keeper is probably sitting at home shitting himself about facing Craig Watson having lost a goal to him in each of the last 4 meetings so maybe we should take pity on him & announce that Janny is definitely out for this game (mibbies aye, mibbies naw!) so he can sleep easy til Saturday! Now that's just me being silly but you get my drift hopefully.  

When we have news on Aggy we'll announce it, I would take it that no news is good news. Brett rolled his ankle, could be out for a week, could be out for 10 weeks, why alert our opposition to whichever it is?

On another communication matter someone complained on Twitter last night that the club's announcement on contract extension signings was only announced in the programme not on social media. Just wrong! All contract extensions were announced on SM as soon they were confirmed by the Spfl, the only thing we did in the programme was list those who were already on deals for next season and that was a deliberate ploy to give The Bayview something that  wasn't elsewhere. Why throw that at the club, because it's easy to moan

Our club works bloody hard on its social media, programme & EFtv stuff with individuals giving up their own time and inconveniencing how they can watch a game to keep things updated as much as we possibly can but every spelling mistake immediately gets a sarcastic comment. Try watching a game & typing every couple of minutes its not easy!

We have even bigger plans for what we want to do next season and that will involve increasing the media team but I'll be interested to see how many volunteer to help once they've tried it & realise just how much your enjoyment of a game is inconvenienced to improve others' enjoyment.

Rant over

What do you want us to say Doug? The following is not aimed at you just me venting my spleen!
Currie & Murdoch are not our players so their parent clubs decide what we can & cannot say about them not us. If a player is ill he's ill end of!
Max Currie the Stranraer keeper is probably sitting at home shitting himself about facing Craig Watson having lost a goal to him in each of the last 4 meetings so maybe we should take pity on him & announce that Janny is definitely out for this game (mibbies aye, mibbies naw!) so he can sleep easy til Saturday! Now that's just me being silly but you get my drift hopefully.  
When we have news on Aggy we'll announce it, I would take it that no news is good news. Brett rolled his ankle, could be out for a week, could be out for 10 weeks, why alert our opposition to whichever it is?
On another communication matter someone complained on Twitter last night that the club's announcement on contract extension signings was only announced in the programme not on social media. Just wrong! All contract extensions were announced on SM as soon they were confirmed by the Spfl, the only thing we did in the programme was list those who were already on deals for next season and that was a deliberate ploy to give The Bayview something that  wasn't elsewhere. Why throw that at the club, because it's easy to moan
Our club works bloody hard on its social media, programme & EFtv stuff with individuals giving up their own time and inconveniencing how they can watch a game to keep things updated as much as we possibly can but every spelling mistake immediately gets a sarcastic comment. Try watching a game & typing every couple of minutes its not easy!
We have even bigger plans for what we want to do next season and that will involve increasing the media team but I'll be interested to see how many volunteer to help once they've tried it & realise just how much your enjoyment of a game is inconvenienced to improve others' enjoyment.
Rant over

I can comment from experience that trying to give club updates and watch the game and make sure the spelling of words and player names and check what minute it’s on, and opposition player names are all right... solid. Current group of volunteers are doing absolutely brilliant as is. The graphics of the squad line ups is commented on by all.
The players subs and having pics and sponsors is great.
The whole social media presence of the club has come on leaps and bounds since I did it and I could honestly say that I couldn’t do better! Well done all.

Ps the EFTV package is by far better than everyone else’s in our league and rivals some of the premiership teams setups!

Rant over

Liam a great response.- your points are well made. Thank you.Those of us who occasionally lose the plot need to be humbly reminded of all the efforts of the volunteers who make and also support our great club at their personal cost.!

What ever happens this year,the club has done great .After 4 / 5 weeks in ,it looked like armageddon. Young is a very , very, good manager( i never criticised him publicly , but i had my doots!!!)- the team spirit this year, compared to last year, has been clear to all- the finds this year- Long -Tonks have been unbelievable- i believe this is the best EF team i have seen in years.... but as we know nothing great has ever been achieved without passion.- EF must never stop wanting more....

I also believe we will make the playoffs- which is amazing considering our cup run.

Hope long- watson- currie and Dowds get back asap- ( re Agnew- well he is so important I dare not to wish!)

3 points Saturday.....

Never ever stop wanting more, it is what drives us all on & there’s nothing wrong with that. We’ve been lucky with injuries up til now, now it’s our turn so we have to deal with it. I was as frustrated as anyone last night but on reflection the players couldn’t have given us any more than they did, we just couldn’t finish.
We regards to EFtv we want to add even more camera angles including filming from the far side to have the crowd in shot but that will mean a gantry & the need for someone to film it. We are looking at funding this at the moment. Hopefully soon we will be asking for more volunteers to help on match days with a view to expanding our coverage. The live streaming for abroad looks like its all sorted now with a good number viewing the Arbroath game. We also hope to do live audio that can be listened to anywhere in the UK & that may happen this season yet.
We would love to do more player interviews but with us training at the Oriam it’s a big commitment to do that regularly.

9 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Big response Liam! I felt the rant!!!
I think clubs normally try and give a rough timescale on players injuries, updates on how they're recovering etc? The rest of your points I fully agree with!!

Don't think so Doug.  Maybe the top clubs, but not many of the lower league clubs do that.

13 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Big response Liam! I felt the rant!!!
I think clubs normally try and give a rough timescale on players injuries, updates on how they're recovering etc? The rest of your points I fully agree with!!

The Gaffer gets invited to provide an update on the injury situation in almost every interview but is fully aware that any information he wishes to divulge, for the reasons stated above is up to his discretion...

It can be frustrating not knowing the extent of player injuries, but like has been said we do not want to alert other teams.

We just need to get ourselves through the next few games with a bandaged up squad and hope we can have as many players back going into the last few games of the season and secure a play off spot.

The EFTV package is up there with the best of lower league coverage, quite possibly in Scotland but I don’t really follow the Premier League. Enjoyed the live coverage of the Arbroath game too and at only a fiver, was a bargain especially with commentary too. Keep up the good work.

Completely agree with everything Liam said, whilst admitting I am 100% one of the moaners. One thing I'd like the club to do is interview the board members, as I have absolutely no idea who the majority of them are and what their qualifications are, what they bring to the table, their links to the club etc. It'd be interesting to find out more about their day to day role in the club, and even the volunteers, if nothing else it would certainly help put it in perspective what the board and volunteers do for the club for us idiotic keyboard warriors! For example, I know Liam (not personally) and he runs his own business and has been following the Fife for yonks as I used to sit in his vicinity when I could make games more regularly. I can absolutely see why he's on the board, but know less than nothing about everyone else. Note I say this as a recommendation, not a complaint :P 

The boy Watson goalscoring exploits against Stranraer are discussed on the excellent Stranraer FC podcast It's no easy as they discuss this week's game against East Fife.Amazingly if the blues beat East Fife and Brechin on Tuesday the gap could well be 5 points,being 15 just a matter of weeks ago.Looks like injuries could have come at the wrong time for the fifers,but to be honest Stranraer have had a wretched time with injuries this season.But apart from Raith I think Arbroath,Forfar and East Fife have been lucky with injuries this term maybe apart from Aggy EF look to have been not too bad,but swings and roundabouts as they say

2 minutes ago, Car54wherareyou said:

The boy Watson goalscoring exploits against Stranraer are discussed on the excellent Stranraer FC podcast It's no easy as they discuss this week's game against East Fife.Amazingly if the blues beat East Fife and Brechin on Tuesday the gap could well be 5 points,being 15 just a matter of weeks ago.Looks like injuries could have come at the wrong time for the fifers,but to be honest Stranraer have had a wretched time with injuries this season.But apart from Raith I think Arbroath,Forfar and East Fife have been lucky with injuries this term maybe apart from Aggy EF look to have been not too bad,but swings and roundabouts as they say

We were definitely jammy with injuries, up until I was rescued by the supporters bus away at you guys last time and mentioned in the pub that we've been quite lucky. Cue a lot of "don't jinx it!!!" shouts, and lo and behold...

2 hours ago, 7 Eleven said:
Maybe the board should ask the fans these same questions when they walk through the turnstiles on a Saturday. I’m really unsure how this information affects your ability to support the club in any fashion. Surely the only piece of information you need to know about any member of the board is that they have the best interests of the club at heart? One of the easiest ways to do that is to have a face to face conversation with these people before a game at the weekend. 

I have highlighted reasons from your post as to, at a guess, why these interview haven’t  been done before.

Jeez 7 Eleven, will we ever agree on anything? :lol:

You know exactly what the fans through the turnstiles are bringing to the table and it's exactly what they're expected to. Money (and a barrowload of opinion to boot!).

Knowing what the board members bring to the table doesn't affect my ability to support the club in anyway, for that you're correct. But I completely disagree that fans should just sit and eat their cereal, knowing "ach the board are gid Fifers eh, they support the team that's all you need to know". That is complete garbage. By that logic, you could pick 12 bodies out the crowd and they'd do the same job as the board simply because they like East Fife. Which, of course, is complete nonsense. You've seen Anne Budge discuss the fan ownership model and how being 100% owned and run by fan groups would be a disaster, because die hard fans often can't think objectively. I completely agree with her.

I don't think it's too absurd for fans to be interested to know a bit more about the people that run their club. Transparency is the hallmark of a good club. Who knows, by seeing what experience and strengths the board have we might see what we as fans could improve on and contribute to. Mental, eh?

ETA - sitting not caring who runs your club is how we end up with bodies standing on the mound and folk like Derek Brown running the club. And before anyone picks up on it, I'm absolutely not suggesting the current board are like that. Far from it, I think we're being run fantastically. That changes nothing about the fact the fans have a right to know more about who runs a club they support.

Edited by Big Fifer

Completely agree with everything Liam said, whilst admitting I am 100% one of the moaners. One thing I'd like the club to do is interview the board members, as I have absolutely no idea who the majority of them are and what their qualifications are, what they bring to the table, their links to the club etc. It'd be interesting to find out more about their day to day role in the club, and even the volunteers, if nothing else it would certainly help put it in perspective what the board and volunteers do for the club for us idiotic keyboard warriors! For example, I know Liam (not personally) and he runs his own business and has been following the Fife for yonks as I used to sit in his vicinity when I could make games more regularly. I can absolutely see why he's on the board, but know less than nothing about everyone else. Note I say this as a recommendation, not a complaint [emoji14] 

There will be an update coming to the website soon which will have a bio for all directors, including a bit about their background & their role at the club...it’s taken a lot longer than I thought it would to pull everything together.

EFTV may look at interviewing directors during the close season but there just isn’t time for it during the season...it’s not the interview itself that takes up most time, but between the prep & editing it can be 2/3 nights work.