The East Fife Thread

We are set at goalie with hurst with good fellow back in a few weeks ctr back set too with page and Kerr Kane can also play there in a pinch .. right back and center mid are a concern but you get the feeling Barry wants to get a bit more experience

Kevin McBride could be an option. Signed him for Dundee.

Thankfully the club have clearly stated that no other players would be leaving this season. Does anyone know if we received a fee for Mercer?

Five figure fee according to the Courier!!!

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Pfft hardly Bobby Linn

You're so right!!!

He's much much more!!!

Wilkie>>>>>>>>>>Linn

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Pfft hardly Bobby Linn

Correct. Kyle's out of Bobby's league and they're not really comparable.

The best comparison for Bobby with a current East Fife player would be...

Mark Lamont >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bobby Linn

Another good point that keeps us going in the right direction, looking forward to the Scottish Cup game against Livy. 1 thing I keep reading is that we are part time and the other full time teams must be better.....settle for a point nonsense, thats not the case there are several teams that have very average players because of this. We on the other hand have very fit and committed players, with a few full time that go back to their feeder clubs. I remember Gary saying that most of the side were at Grade A of fitness (Or something like that) thats whats making us strong at this level. Being FT is not a requirement at this level because the average gates wont cover the costs, 880 ish at a 10,000 seater stadium would back this up from yesterday. Hope Barry brings in another 3 players from his connections and we could finish in a play off position.... then who knows, but it would be a great season if we did.

5 hours ago, Brucelee1973 said:

Another good point that keeps us going in the right direction, looking forward to the Scottish Cup game against Livy. 1 thing I keep reading is that we are part time and the other full time teams must be better.....settle for a point nonsense, thats not the case there are several teams that have very average players because of this. We on the other hand have very fit and committed players, with a few full time that go back to their feeder clubs. I remember Gary saying that most of the side were at Grade A of fitness (Or something like that) thats whats making us strong at this level. Being FT is not a requirement at this level because the average gates wont cover the costs, 880 ish at a 10,000 seater stadium would back this up from yesterday. Hope Barry brings in another 3 players from his connections and we could finish in a play off position.... then who knows, but it would be a great season if we did.

I reckon the biggest advantage of being full-time is that you can generally attract the better players during the summer because most players want to have a crack at full time football at some point at least. Not that you can somehow make average players significantly better just by being full time.

Airdrie are full time but have an average L1 squad no better than a few others in this league. Livi have better players but we already know they're very beatable.

Agree 100%, full time teams shouldn't be looked at any differently to other part time teams.

I have to say what an incredible season you're having, I've been so impressed by yourself's and Queens Park. 

As you say full time football isn't everything, if the team is well coached, set up properly and works hard then you've always got a chance against anybody. 

I've always questioned the benefits of being full time over part time, at this level being full time doesn't necasserally get you the best players, sometimes being a top part time club gets you all the best part time players but being a lower full time club gets you all the left overs from other teams. 

We've been fortunate this season, on the whole we've built a very decent team for this level, all be it not really shown it against yourselves but next season if we do gain promotion (long way to go) we will need to improve even further which will be much harder as we will be a small fish surrounded by bigger fish who will take the better players leaving us again with the scraps.

3 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

As you say full time football isn't everything, if the team is well coached, set up properly and works hard then you've always got a chance against anybody. 

I've always questioned the benefits of being full time over part time, at this level being full time doesn't necasserally get you the best players, sometimes being a top part time club gets you all the best part time players but being a lower full time club gets you all the left overs from other teams. 

Agree with a lot of that. Pre-season predictions were probably fairly close between Alloa and Livi for the league, from what I remember, and that's obviously because folk thought that Alloa had attracted players who were just as good as (if not better than) Livi and of a higher standard than Airdrie, despite them being full time.

It's obvious that Alloa's fortunes have dipped since Jack Ross moved on and I suppose we'll never know how it might have gone had he stayed.

Money's clearly an issue as well. If FT clubs can offer wages equal to what someone can get combining a job and PT football, it's a bit of a no-brainer for most players. I'm guessing a pretty high proportion of PT players in L1 are getting significantly more income from PT football and an outside job than the majority of Airdrie and Livi players.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Agree with a lot of that. Pre-season predictions were probably fairly close between Alloa and Livi for the league, from what I remember, and that's obviously because folk thought that Alloa had attracted players who were just as good as (if not better than) Livi and of a higher standard than Airdrie, despite them being full time.

It's obvious that Alloa's fortunes have dipped since Jack Ross moved on and I suppose we'll never know how it might have gone had he stayed.

Money's clearly an issue as well. If FT clubs can offer wages equal to what someone can get combining a job and PT football, it's a bit of a no-brainer for most players. I'm guessing a pretty high proportion of PT players in L1 are getting significantly more income from PT football and an outside job than the majority of Airdrie and Livi players.

I actually think from 1 to 11 most teams are fairly evenly matched, but after that we have by far the biggest squad with the most depth in the league which is why I predicted we would win the league, still a long way to go but we are well on track ATM. 

Absolutely, Jack Ross was doing a terrific job and I think if he'd still been there they wouldn't be on such a poor run, but as you say we will never know, but as I said in the original post if a team has a good coach and is well set up then they could beat anybody, just as East Fife and Queen's Park have been doing.

No doubt about it, I'd say combining PT football with a job is paying significantly more than any Livi or Airdrie players.